Help me find a good 18650 based light

Secur1

Enlightened
Hi ppl

Recently due to Mike@PTS great generosity i ended up with some extra LRB 168A cells for my WE Boxer. But since i don't use it that often i am thinking of buying another light to use them in.
Now i really really liked my original Luxeon based Led Logic Striker VG and at the time i didn't realize that i had a rare gem in my hands, an over achieving Luxeon led, cause after i sold it and got myself one with a SSC led i realized that the Luxeon was in fact brighter and better focused (or maybe i got an under performing SSC P4).
Either way i wasn't pleased with my second Striker so i sold that too.
Even at that the striker let me down on a couple of things and the first one was the anodizing which was ok to look at but very very easy to scratch.
Second was the side clickie which at the time (working as an SO) was a bit of an inconvenience.

Now with the new generation of long throwing 18650 lights i am looking for one that has a similar UI to the striker, which i found absolutely fantastic, with variable dimming and strobe function all easily accessible via a single button.
Please don't tell me to get another striker and mod it as my last effort in modding ended in the horrible death of several leds.....

I've had a look at the DBS and the SPEAR but i am not so sure about them...

I am looking for a tight spot thrower that also has a strobe.

So what do you guys think ?

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of the super-throwers have a strobe that I can recall. I've poked DereeLight before asking for a Hi and Strobe pill that switches by rotating the body but nothing has come out yet. :(
The only light assembly I can think of that has a strobe, uses an 18650 and can throw would be... a Wolf Eyes digital Module. :eek:
More business for mike I guess. Wait till he gets all the new Q5 goodies up on the website this weekend.
I'm hoping to see a D36 Q5 Digital Tactical module (Hi and Strobe). The D36 has a bigger reflector than the standard D26 so it should throw better.
That is the only practical thing I can think of. Use of 18650's by many manufacturers is often requested by CPF, seldom listened to. So that just kills a lot of our options.

Zenster

Enlightened
The DBS did used to be available with a 5SD digital module that included a strobe, and the digital modules in the DBS work best (and great) with 18650's.

Just for grins, and to see if you have that option, you might want to contact Deree directly to see if they can still supply the 5SD module.
If the strobe isn't a deal breaker, you might also look at the Tiablo A8/Q5 which is optimized to work with the 18650.
And then there's the new MRV-SE/Epsilon that pushes the envelope to 265 lumens. It has a digital engine now that, while not technically a strobe, has a "lighthouse" setting where it pulses once every 5 seconds which may or may not fulfill what you want a strobe for.

Last edited:

Secur1

Enlightened
Is the D36 Q5 Digital Tactical module a drop in for a light ? Cause i can't seem to find it...