Klarus        

Thread: Right LED for a Night Club Doorman

Default Right LED for a Night Club Doorman

I am looking for an LED flashlight that I can keep in my suit jacket pocket that will not be too bulky. The last thing I need is a big metal thing in my jacket. What I need is a flashlight the will allow me to quickly get a beam of light on people as well as to see the floors where I am walking on nights when things are hectic. I will be using rechargable batteries and my charger uses AA and AAAs so I need to stick with one of those. If there are any other questions please ask. I would like to stay on the cheaper side (under 25 dollars) because I will be needing to buy like 10 of these for my other hosts and bar backs.

Thanks in advance,

Tej

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Right LED for a Night Club Doorman

Since you have AA's, if you want it to be small....perhaps a Fenix L1T. I really prefer my L2T and I keep it on high. I like it because I can click it on or just use it momentary.

Most of my bouncers used some sort of AA light too. For convienence they mostly had M@glites (because that was all that was available easily) but I have seen them with a Surefire but your point is well taken, that is a big light compared to the fenix lights now.

Out of the club business now. I might also suggest thinking about going to the CR123 type lights too. If your usage isn't too heavy and you don't mind the multiple low-med-high-strobe thing, I love my P3D's. Batteries are expensive if you buy locally, but I get all mine from Lighthound for reasonable money. You may not want to go through all that though. I used mine extensively looking for crap in back storerooms at night and at the door several times while analyzing fake ID's!!

Bob E.
    TF 3W Lux,TF 3 W Cree,Fenix L2D-CE, Fenix L2T,Fenix P1D,Fenix P3D-CE w/3x123 tactical body,P3D-CE Q5 w/2x123 tact bdy,3D & 3C Mag w/Malkoff,Modded ROV Swivel Sportsman with KPR112 bulb & 3xCR123

Peak Kino Bay. Slim, will last basically forever, runs off a single AA. Lots of light. Get the P4.

NRA Life Member since 1979

Enlightened

How about an Inova X1. They don't put out a tremendous amount of light, but at $17, they are cheap and reliable. They are also pretty floody, so that might be what you need for close up work.

Would agree with SafetyBob. One of the small AA Fenix lights would be just what you need.

Based strictly on your criteria that you listed, I would go for the Rayovac 1W 2AA (Sportsman Extreme).

It's about the size of a 2AA maglite, maybe a hair bigger.

Read about it here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=183573
    Hello, my name is Joe... and I'm a flashaholic.
    Surefire G2-r+: G90 bulb on 2 x R123 + UCL, SL TL-3, Inova Radiant AAA, Inova X1 gen2, RR 1W 1AA, RR 1.5w 2xC, RR .5w 2xAAA, 2c MAG-LED & Lotsa other maglites, Energizer 2-white 1-red LED headlight, BassPro 6MCP spot, several keychain photon clones

***My collection***Emergency Communications Primer***

LumaPower LM31; 1 X AA, 2 levels of output, small and sleek, prices right, great quality.

I really like my SAIK RC-A3 Cree AA Flashlight DX 5346. Awesome little light, and for $13.69 each shipped (if you get 10 or more) it's a great deal!
    Collection: P1D CE Q5 Silver w/SMO | DX Torches: SAIK RC-A3, Ultrafire C3 & Super-Bright Cree Q4 | MAGLITE 4D w/TeraLUX TLE-6EX | PT EOS 25 lm

Flashaholic

If you already have a AA mini-mag ??? Just get the LED for it. If not I'd suggest a SF G2. I know that's more than you want to spend though.

Humm, cheap, AA and bright?

That pretty much limits you to Dealextreme lights(Takes about a month to get to you with the included shipping, faster if you use EMS but costs extra).

1 AA options:

MTE Seoul, RC-G2(grey version), Ultrafire C3, RC-A2,

How about multimode?

Lumapower LM31 is a great light. Not only does it use a single AA, but it can use a 14500 if you want. Low-High, always the same clicks. I got one for my GF a few months ago. Nice beam. Good quality. Good battery life.

Try for something you can mount a GGG strike bezel to, since the Surefire E2D and 6P use CR123s. That way you have a little extra 'bite' and can use the light as a kubaton if need be.
    And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."
    Isaiah 6:1-8

I see lots of people recommending CR123 lights. Why? The OP specifically asked for AA or AAA.

I'll recommend the Ultrafire C3 with 2AA extension tube bundle ($19.41 for one, $17.51ea for 10). It can be a 1AA or 2AA light, is one mode, and is within your price range.
    A little madness never hurt anybody.

E2D & 6P, he said UNDER $25....
    HOWARD

To reduce bulk, you'll probably want an AAA light. Try the Fenix L0D. Using coupon code "CLEARANCE25", you'll end up buying this light at around $30 with shipping included. The L0D SE gives you the versatility of several power modes, plus, when you want to get someone's attention, revert to Strobe mode. I think this is the light you'd prefer for your particular job. If you'd prefer to get something a little cheaper, you can pick up the Fenix L0P SE for $26.25 with shipping included, but it doesn't have the strobe feature.

For an AA sized light, you can pick up a C-02 Cree P4 that is 3.79"x0.79" in size--very powerful light, a little thicker than the L0D. Only $16 shipped. But only one power mode. For a multi-mode AA you might want to consider the MTE C2 5-mode Cree, at $19 shipped.

Fenix is known for quality and reliability. The cheap lights at DX are unpredictable.
    Last edited by garence; 12-21-2007 at 07:10 PM.

Flashaholic*

I manage a niteclub,on my way to work now. I find that you want something fist sized,not too small as to fumble with in either retrieving from or returning to pocket or holster,forwarding clicky for burst of light,lanyard attachment so light stays with you if you have to use both hands.The Ray o vac 80 lumen 3w might be the cheap light you need.It's 2 x AA and available at Walmart.If you do like it you can return it .

If you're trying not to blind people and be annoying, you want t good light that's just bright enough, not too bright. It's not SAR, right?

I like the gerber FIRECRACKER a lot. It has a good tight beam and is reasonably bright. Even on a low battery it still puts out a good enough beam to be seen inside in the dark.

Get the RIGHT tool for the job.

How about the fisher space penlight?

Exclamation Re: Right LED for a Night Club Doorman

great suggestions here. I would also have a decent UV light when checking IDs, currency. it would come in handy

Streamlight Jr LED...an oldie but goodie
    http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=101

Streamlight Stylus Pro
    http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=133

Reliable, Uses AA and AAAs, bright enough for your night club adjusted eyes. Hook it up to a neck lanyard and your guys are good to go.

Side note: If I was in your position, I'd be carrying my Fenix T1 in the club. For sure to get someone's attention.

What about one of the Inova Bolts? The price is right. They come in either AAA or AA configurations.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st...html?s=IOBLT3A

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st...html?s=IOBLT2A

Rich
    Last edited by Rich; 12-21-2007 at 11:35 PM.