Right LED for a Night Club Doorman

lasvegasnights

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for an LED flashlight that I can keep in my suit jacket pocket that will not be too bulky. The last thing I need is a big metal thing in my jacket. What I need is a flashlight the will allow me to quickly get a beam of light on people as well as to see the floors where I am walking on nights when things are hectic. I will be using rechargable batteries and my charger uses AA and AAAs so I need to stick with one of those. If there are any other questions please ask. I would like to stay on the cheaper side (under 25 dollars) because I will be needing to buy like 10 of these for my other hosts and bar backs.

Thanks in advance,

Tej

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Since you have AA's, if you want it to be small....perhaps a Fenix L1T. I really prefer my L2T and I keep it on high. I like it because I can click it on or just use it momentary.

Most of my bouncers used some sort of AA light too. For convienence they mostly had M@glites (because that was all that was available easily) but I have seen them with a Surefire but your point is well taken, that is a big light compared to the fenix lights now.

Out of the club business now. I might also suggest thinking about going to the CR123 type lights too. If your usage isn't too heavy and you don't mind the multiple low-med-high-strobe thing, I love my P3D's. Batteries are expensive if you buy locally, but I get all mine from Lighthound for reasonable money. You may not want to go through all that though. I used mine extensively looking for crap in back storerooms at night and at the door several times while analyzing fake ID's!!

Bob E.

DesertFox

Newly Enlightened
How about an Inova X1. They don't put out a tremendous amount of light, but at $17, they are cheap and reliable. They are also pretty floody, so that might be what you need for close up work.

vector_joe

Newly Enlightened
Based strictly on your criteria that you listed, I would go for the Rayovac 1W 2AA (Sportsman Extreme).
Flashlight_product_selux2aa1w-b_op.jpg

It's about the size of a 2AA maglite, maybe a hair bigger.

Read about it here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/183573

Joshatdot

Enlightened
I really like my SAIK RC-A3 Cree AA Flashlight DX 5346. Awesome little light, and for $13.69 each shipped (if you get 10 or more) it's a great deal!

SAVAGESAM

Newly Enlightened
If you already have a AA mini-mag ??? Just get the LED for it. If not I'd suggest a SF G2. I know that's more than you want to spend though.

Vermonter73

Enlightened
Lumapower LM31 is a great light. Not only does it use a single AA, but it can use a 14500 if you want. Low-High, always the same clicks. I got one for my GF a few months ago. Nice beam. Good quality. Good battery life.

PhillyRube

Enlightened
Try for something you can mount a GGG strike bezel to, since the Surefire E2D and 6P use CR123s. That way you have a little extra 'bite' and can use the light as a kubaton if need be.

garence

Newly Enlightened
To reduce bulk, you'll probably want an AAA light. Try the Fenix L0D. Using coupon code "CLEARANCE25", you'll end up buying this light at around $30 with shipping included. The L0D SE gives you the versatility of several power modes, plus, when you want to get someone's attention, revert to Strobe mode. I think this is the light you'd prefer for your particular job. If you'd prefer to get something a little cheaper, you can pick up the Fenix L0P SE for $26.25 with shipping included, but it doesn't have the strobe feature.

For an AA sized light, you can pick up a C-02 Cree P4 that is 3.79"x0.79" in size--very powerful light, a little thicker than the L0D. Only $16 shipped. But only one power mode. For a multi-mode AA you might want to consider the MTE C2 5-mode Cree, at $19 shipped.

Fenix is known for quality and reliability. The cheap lights at DX are unpredictable.

Last edited:

houtex

Enlightened
I manage a niteclub,on my way to work now. I find that you want something fist sized,not too small as to fumble with in either retrieving from or returning to pocket or holster,forwarding clicky for burst of light,lanyard attachment so light stays with you if you have to use both hands.The Ray o vac 80 lumen 3w might be the cheap light you need.It's 2 x AA and available at Walmart.If you do like it you can return it .

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're trying not to blind people and be annoying, you want t good light that's just bright enough, not too bright. It's not SAR, right?

I like the gerber FIRECRACKER a lot. It has a good tight beam and is reasonably bright. Even on a low battery it still puts out a good enough beam to be seen inside in the dark.

Get the RIGHT tool for the job.

How about the fisher space penlight?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
great suggestions here. I would also have a decent UV light when checking IDs, currency. it would come in handy

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast