What Are You Guys Getting Your Mothers For Christmas?

BruiseLee

Enlightened
Just curious. First my mom wanted a Karaoke Machine, then a new refrigerator, now she says she doesn't want either. She has no hobbies at all, other than her three cats. I figure since you guys know about cool knives, tools, flashlights, etc., maybe you have some good gift ideas for the holidays?

gearbox

Newly Enlightened
My 67-year old mother is doing some genealogical work in China next month, so I got her a flash for the digicam she bought, plus a spare camera battery, spare flash card, screen protectors, and an Ultrafire C3. I can't give her a knife or pepper-spray since customs would probably take it away, hopefully the light could be used to disorient an aggressor.

I hate shopping for other people unless they tell me what they want. Especially those without hobbies or for acquaintances. I got my girlfriend's mom socks. I swear that's what the GF said she wants. Money and a plane ticket for my sister attending Johns Hopkins U. Buncha stuff for the GF. Nothing for the brother, dad or other sister. They didn't tell me what they want.

Maybe get your mom a gift certificate? Does she like gardening? Cooking? Knitting? Extreme sports? Oprah DVDs? Books?

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
We just did our Christmas last night since my folks are going to my sister's house in WV for Xmas day while I stay here in TX. I got her one of the digital photo frames and she loved it. Even though she has the slide show screensaver going on the computer all the time, she loved being able to just have the frame sitting on the end table. And when I showed her that she didn't have to do anything fancy on the computer, just transfer the SD card from her camera to the frame, she was doubly thrilled.

She's also into antique glass and there's one type that fluoresces under UV light. So I got her a cheapie 8-LED chinese light from LightHound.com that she can carry in her purse when she goes shopping to test unknown pieces. It worked much better on the pieces she already had than the fluorescent blacklight from Walmart she had been using in the past to test them AFTER she bought them.

She also has some mild arthritis and she appreciated those Clever Clasp magnetic add-ons for fastening necklaces without needing to use the tiny catches.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my Mum always listens to her favourite radio station LBC, but due to the fact that we live in the centre of London, the FM airways are very overpopulated with Pirates and other interferance. So we've got her a Wharfdale DAB tabletop radio from us and a set of racing Grannies from the kids.( Like Scalectrix but with wheelchairs and grannies!!)

She's 76 Years old and still intends to cook the Christmas Turkey and Ham. I have been relegated to the starters and veggies!!!

Happy Happy Christmas...

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mother has deteriorating eyesight. Her retina really wants to detach and such so she's been getting laser eye surgery every several months for the past couple years trying to keep ahead of the problem. She refuses to try reading glasses so that puts strain on her eyes imho. She also does a lot of driving and has been window shopping sunglasses for the past few months.
I figure getting a pair of sunglasses that she's liked trying on will help ensure she uses sunglasses as much as possible protecting her eyes. Lucky for me sierratradingpost.com exists and had a model that she's been window shopping for awhile now but couldn't afford. Throw in a 20% coupon special and free shipping and I could afford them with money to spare for other presents for her as well.
My mother's always been a difficult person to shop for because she has very few wants (other than the obvious like a house, convertible sports coupe, etc.) so finding these was a hallelujah on my part. The only problem is I like those sunglasses too! :ohgeez: Oh well.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mom is getting a hug - the only thing she wanted for Christmas was for me to come home for dinner :)

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get her a big box of cat toys. Not the cheap Wal Mart stuff, go to Petsmart or another specialty store. They have some great catnip toys (the loose-leaf stuff gets everywhere and makes a mess).

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never get my mom presents. Don't people always say "Children are a gift from God" ? So I just remind my mom that I was her gift from God...what more could she ask for???

:nana:
:devil:

I'm kidding, of course. I got her a labeler. She loves to organize and stuff.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wish I could get her something. This is my first Christmas without Mom :(

I hope you mean that it's just because you live far away and can't visit her...and not that she passed away. If she did pass away, then I'm truly sorry. I nearly lost my dad to colon cancer this year, so this Christmas is very special to our family.

Tubor

Enlightened
A UV Pen/torch, a therapeutic heat mat (like a small electric blanket) and a Hydrometer. Maybe a KD AAA Buckle torch. :shrug:

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gift certificates from the beauty salon and the cafe at her local plaza, another one from a national jewellery store chain so she can have her silver tea service set cleaned and recoated in laquer (she hates polishing silver), some native currency for her winter vacation trip to Barbados, and oddly enough, (it was on her list) a full cord of firewood delivered and stacked neatly in the woodshed for her fireplace.

The firewood is currently hidden in her next door neighbor's garage but there's a card with a photo of the pile of wood under her tree for Christmas morning.

I get to work up an appetite moving the wood when I go over to her house after lunch on Christmas day.

Last edited:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I hope you mean that it's just because you live far away and can't visit her...and not that she passed away. If she did pass away, then I'm truly sorry. I nearly lost my dad to colon cancer this year, so this Christmas is very special to our family.

Mom passed from Lung Cancer July 31st - and to top it off, Dad's health is horrid - his mind is gone to the point where the other day he asked me, "How's Mom"

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mom passed from Lung Cancer July 31st - and to top it off, Dad's health is horrid - his mind is gone to the point where the other day he asked me, "How's Mom"

That's really tough.

Please don't brood - try to get out with friends as much as you can this Christmas/New Year.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, I feel your pain and I'm sorry. Number two without mom for me and it's never going to be the same. But if she were still here, I'd definitely get her the same thing that my father and I are getting her sister, my aunt obviously, which has already been recommended and that is a digital photo frame. Between photos I have taken with my digicam over the past 9 years and other's I have scanned, some going back to black and white negatives from the 50s, I've loaded about a hundred pictures on the frame.

Just wish I could get her something. This is my first Christmas without Mom :(