Brightest DealExtreme light under $35

Garnett

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if this is an old question, or not allowed. Please ignore/delete/flame if so, but I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere. Nobody seems to want to answer on the DX forum.

This is what I posted:

Hi there. I'm fairly new to the forum. Can anyone recommend the brightest torch for my budget?

Is it the Ultrafire C2 3W Cree?

(is the HAIII version a much more tougher choice)

The UltraFire C2 Cree Q5 seems to be well regarded - not sure what Q5 means but people talk about it with some reverence!

But I think the winner could be the 3W Cree Projection.

Any advice (or any torches I've missed) from any torch experts greatly appreciated. Cheers.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
cree and seoul and rebel are the newest latest bright led technology to date.
http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/500/xre_road_map.jpg
this picture show the "bins" for cree, both past present and future.
"bins" can have a RANGE so it doesnt define exactally the output, and "warm" leds (usually) are slightly less in output.
the R-2 bin is barely available now.

the size of a reflector can help in concentration or direction of the light.
the Texture on the reflector can smooth out a Beam, but can also reduce light slightly.

levels or modes or whatever you want to call them are very usefull.
if you wanted a Harsh spot, long throw, levels, the projection LOOKs like it would meet that.

somebody will come in who owns all three , and tell you better, i was just going off the available info.
i would bet that 3of 4 of these are in the reviews section of the forum.

Last edited:

Garnett

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys.

That general info's really helpful, Vidpro. Do you know about the Q5? Is it worth looking into?

PEU, unfortunately anything over about $32 dollars attracts customs and VAT when it comes into the UK, which adds $20 straight off! :eek:

richdsu - that looks like a good'un.

By way of apology for posting a typically "noob" post, I thought I'd add my further research to the thread:

Best flashlight for around $30-35

A review of the Projector

I'll post more as I find it.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know about the Q5? Is it worth looking into?

it is the best cree bin to date you will find on this weeks cheap flashlights, but the percentage differance is not much, and because the human eye sees increases in about 5-1 logrythm ratios, the visual perception of the difference would be very small.
no fashaholic would give up the higher bin, if they could get the higher bin, including an r2, but you will not lose much (visually) by not worrying about it being a p4 or q5.

its your call, you have the numbers

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Don't apologize for being a "noob". We all have to start somewhere.

I think DX declares everything to be $10 or under so I don't think you'll run into customs problems unless you buy something illegal.

Are you looking for throw or most overall output?

What batteries?

:welcome:

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Increase your budget to $50 and go for the 4-cree from DX. It is made by Romisen who is one of the better brands as far as cheap lights are concerned. If I could hide it easily, I would have ordered it myself :)

- Vikas

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
WF-600 Incan
Highest output incan they have, but it doesn't look like replacement lamps are readily available. WF-500 lamps may work, aside from the bulb the lights appear identical.

WF-500 Incan
I have one of these. Runtime is fairly short, but it's very high output, and throws very far due to the big reflector and short filament. Incan lumens (warmer tint) will provide better contrast for trying to spot things outdoors than LEDs (foliage/earth tend to be red and green, blue light is not so useful).

The 4-Cree will have more lumens overall, and should run about three times longer, but it will be weaker in throw (due to having four small reflectors instead of one large one). I'd recommend the Romisen 4-Cree if you're using the light primarily indoors. WF-Incans if outdoor throw is your main application.