old style 6P vs most recent style 6P

eelnoraa

Newly Enlightened
When reading post of this forum. I got the feeling that flashsholics prefer the old style 6P over the new style 6P. Is this true?? And if it is, why?

From what I know, the new style has anti-roll hex bezel and lockout tail cap. I think these two are features that does not exist in the old style. Apperance is subjective, but base on the new feature, I would probably prefer the new style. So I just want to know why people like the old one better.

eel

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Old style all the way. Technological advances are OK but the older P series are just fine as is.

You can always add the LOTC to any of the P series and it doesn't change the look at all. Did it myself to my older 9P.

The hex head really isn't, if the majority of CPFers are honest, something that is very useful. Yes, there are those that have benefited from this feature but not very many. I haven't heard of anyone saying that the hex feature made their light neater/more useful than sliced bread.

The old series were classics in the same sense as a pair of denim jeans, the shape of a Coke bottle or their trademarked glass. The have the same function as the newer lights, they use the same lamp assemblies and the light outputs are the same.

Now don't get me started on the benefits of the clip on the E2 v. E2e lights...

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and use the new model as my work light. The bezel is a big improvement for me as I work out of lifts and in high places allot when setting the light down it stays put much better. Some say they don't like the flat sides on the new model but it fits fine in my hand. The LOTC is also a big improvement but as Jeff pointed out that is an easy upgrade I also agree the old model is a classic and a must have. I also upgraded my bezel with Pyrex as I was tired of replacing the lexan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I prefer the new style also! I set my 6P down often while I'm working with both hands. I don't need a $60 torch rolling away, falling, blowing a $16 bulb. I didn't have to pay extra for a LOTC because it's standard...I sold my old ones. To each his own...

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old ones are a little better at doing double duty as a roll of quarters in the fist in a defensive situation. The old 9P can do double duty as both a roll of quarters and a kubaton. The hex impedes these functions. To me, it all depends on the intended use of the light. For defensive and tactical, I like the old ones with no hex and no LOTC. I don't want the tailcap to be locked out right when I'm need it most. For utility purposes, work and so forth, the hex is clearly a plus. For pocket carry, the LOTC is a must. I burned my leg about 9 years ago with an original 6P in my pocket. Just my .02

A

AndrewR

I have an old-style 6P with a LOTC as my EDC light, the anti-roll bezel would be kind of nice from time to time, but I got the old-style at a really good deal, and it's perfectly functional, plus it's very friendly to the fact that when I hold it the bottom of my hand is just about even with the end of the bezel, thanks to the smoothness.

Although I must say... the new 6P certainly LOOKS cooler... maybe I'll have to get a new-style 9P /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like everything about the new 6P in terms of function, but i detest the useless flat sides. they could have added the hex bezel and lotc without modifying the body of the 6P. the flat sides adds no function, and at certain angles makes the light look silly so i'd rather have it nice and round. not to mention the look of the old 6P is as someone already mentioned, a classic. if not for the fact that my new-style 6P was my first surefire and hence has some sentimental value, i'd like to trade it for an old-style 6P.

having said that, i still like my C2 a lot; i can't say enough about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif my new-style 6P sits in my drawer un-used, and in mint-condition.