SF A2 or KROMA for X-Mas?

Spence

Enlightened
I'm a bachelor and flashaholic, but as of late and the last few months I'm only buying SureFires for my collection. It's time for my Christmas present, and I must decide between the "A2 Aviator" and the "KROMA". I've studied them both and done my research on them and now I'm at the point where I need other CPF members help and comments to persuade my decision.
So how about it? Right now, I have nine SF's and my EDC and favorite is my L1 CREE. What would I be most satisfied with, the "A2" or "KROMA"?
Thanks a bunch.
Truly,
Spence
:shrug::ohgeez::broke::rolleyes::thinking:

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
If money is not an issue, go Kroma.

Both have 50 lumen primary beams, the A2's incan and the Kroma's LED. The LED (IMHO) will be the more powerful beam. Most of Surefire's LED's tend to have brighter (if only slightly so) beams than their counterparts when the lumens are equally rated.

I also like the fact that the Kroma has soft red and blue LEDs so as not to disturb your night vision.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd rather have an A2, myself..

Actually I'd rather have an A2 with a head-down pocketclip on the tailcap...

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a chance to compare them. The A2 seems brighter than the Kroma and throws better. And I think that the red and blue LEDs on the Kroma are pretty much useless for most of us. White LEDs on the A2 give you a great low power light good enough for general walking around and closeup work. Hit the incan beam you have a great, tight, throwy light.

The Kroma is cool, but not a practical tool for anything I might need a light for. The A2 is.

Carpenter

Enlightened
Wow, that is a tough decision. I have many A2's :) and also have 1 Kroma. I love them all :thumbsup: I think the Kroma's LED is more focused while the A2 has a hotspot, but is much more sidespill. If you are looking for preserving your night vision for up close work then the Kroma is what you are looking for. If you want to use it for walks where you may want a slightly brighter Red then the A2 is for you. Either way though, you will not be disappointed.

Like I said, I have them both and it is always a tough decision as to which one gets used and which one stays in the pocket.

GreySave

Enlightened
Ditto what Carpenter said. I also have both. Think of the Kroma as an outstanding performer as a low powered light. I use mine if I get up during the night. Low red does not impair my night vision and allows me to move about easily and high white provides a fair punch if needed. I love the Kroma high white output. To me it is a well balanced beam for an optic. Both the red and blue LEDs provide a nice wide flood of light that you will not get with a red A2. I personally find the blue LEDs too harsh and rarely use them.

I think that the Kroma is truly close to a 50 lumen light. My A2 will out throw and outpower it. The A2 will give you better throw and the white LEDs are good for long term use, such as during power outages.

I use my Kroma more than my A2 because it is the more adaptable / better balanced light for my needs. But when the A2 comes out, it gets used heavily for that event,

Bottom line....I don't think you will be dsiappointed with either. Pick the one that best suits your needs and desires.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have the A2 and not the Kroma. I really like my A2 for the low white LED output, and the beautiful, bright high regulated incan output. I only have a few more SF's on my wish list (M6, Z2, L5, L2). For some reason the Kroma just does not appeal to me for what I use my lights for. I guess it comes down to a personal choice, and what you are going to be using the light for. I can highly recommend the A2 though.

Rob

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get an A2, then have milkyspit replace the LEDs. :thumbsup:

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go for the A2, though I've never had a Kroma. The Kroma doesn't look like it would fit the hand as well. Also, everyone should have a regulated incan in their collection.

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
I have and use both. The Kroma replaced my A2 as my main 'bush' light this season. No bulb to blow was the determining factor. I like the selection of 'lows' on the Kroma. The A2 does out throw my Kroma but I usually carry a TL-3 or M3T for throw so the extra runtime on the Kroma and the lows were a key factor as a 'user' light.

That said, both are amazing lights. If you are looking more for a collectable light go A2. It may be the high point in Incan lights, with most of the R&D going into LEDs, I do not see a new A2 in the future. The Kroma on the other hand may very well be suited to a new LED, making it a less collectable platform, IMHO.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a tough decision. On one side there is no comparison in the color LED beams of the Kroma and the A2--the Kromas uniform ring free beams are so much better.

The high beam on the other side however, is an entirely different story. The A2's incandescent beam is so beautiful outdoors in the green or woods. The Kromas sickly LED white high beam is no match, and the A2 is brighter or at least it is perceived to be brighter.

Other points to consider--the Kroma will run on a rechargeable 17670, the A2 needs expensive primaries.

I own both, they are the only small Surefires I own. If i had to choose for outdoor use I would get the A2, for indoor use I'd get the Kroma.

Spence

Enlightened
Wow, I'm beside myself with all these responses and comments. So far it's running fairly heavy toward the A2, but I'll wait for a few more responses. I've already called my personal dealer and he's holding one of each for me, until I come in and decide. I may have to get one for Christmas and the other in January after the holiday bills are paid. Does that sound like a plan?
Spence
:nana::wave::shrug::thumbsup:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'll be the voice of dissent here... what's the expected use for your new light?

The K2 is all fine and dandy, but *I* can't justify all the extra bells and whistles that come with it. A U2 or an A2 is plenty of light for my personal uses.

How's that for not giving you a straight answer? Get both and get it over with. :)