Is brightness of light harmful

nanoWatt

Newly Enlightened
I asked this in one of the threads but it wasn't responded to, so I figured I'd start a new thread.

I'm just wondering. I have a Fenix T1 and I was outside with it set on Hi at night. I pointed it toward my back yard, from about 30 feet away, and I could see my dog in the light.

Will the T1 cause any damage to my dog's eyes from that far away. I'd say I shone it for a couple seconds to get a decent look.

Valolammas

Enlightened
Well, dogs' eyes are different from humans' eyes, but I'd be very surprised if you had caused any damage. It's not really all that bright compared to sunlight and LED light has a very low UV content. It's still not a good idea to stare at them or point them at any creature's eyes for prolonged periods, but a couple of seconds from that distance very probably didn't do any harm.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always thought there was a lot of UV coming of those LEDs. I'll find out with my up coming eye test, not from my light but for being type-2 diabetic.

chiphead

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
another stupid "eye damage from flashlight"-tread
:rolleyes:

(think of a zillion really powerful car hedlights You, the dog, the child, anyone else has been passed by for years,
and let alone staring into the brightest light souce avaliable (except for a laser) --> the sun
- any got blind?
thats what mother nature gave us the blinking REFLEX for. Can only be tricked by a laser)

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Yellow,

While I agree that this question comes up from time to time, I still maintain that the only "stupid" question is the question that is not asked...

Tom

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always thought there was a lot of UV coming of those LEDs. I'll find out with my up coming eye test, not from my light but for being type-2 diabetic.

chiphead

None UV light comes from white light LEDs. Maybe you are confusing LED with HID :)

stonehold

Newly Enlightened
I use a low output light while walking my dog just to be safe. That 4-8 feet of leash is a little too short for long term nightly exposure to lots of lumens. We do a lot of walking where it's nice and dark so big light isn't necessary for him. And I always have another light or two or four if I need more just for me. If I'm over cautious with my pup....good. He's worth it.