More Surefire G2L questions

Garand

Newly Enlightened
My question is, is it going to be worth it to me to buy one.

Right now I have the ROV 3 watt Sportsman two AA, a 2D Maglite with the Mag drop in LED, the Task Force 2C cree and various Dorcy and Brinkman lights.

I carry the ROV 3 watt all the time along with a Streamlight Task-Light 1aa.

I am very happy with the ROV 3 watt and the Task Force 3C with the cree is an amazing light.

Will the G2L out perform the ROV 3 watt 2AA? How about the Task Force cree?

I don't care to spend the money on the G2L IF it is that much better than what I already have.

If I could get the performance of the 2C Task Force in the small G2L I would buy it tonight.

Any thoughts from anyone who has the G2L and the other lights in question.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Try to buy a used 6P as it gives thermal protection.
G2L beats ROV 3 in output and is beaten by Taskforce strictly by the numbers.
I think getting a used 6P from BST and adding a Q5 WE drop in is the way to go for smaller size and huge output while saving some money. Think about getting a 1 cell extender from Lighthound as your first extra part as most drop ins will handle 9v and give you more runtime. The G2L I have is great and I love it for the brightness/runtime combo. My Cree Taskforce is a great cheap thrower and really is a different animal as is doesn't give much sidespill. You said you have the taskforce, have you removed the little o-ring from around the emitter yet? It improved my beam by a lot!

Last edited:

BigD64

Enlightened
Without a doubt the G2L will become your favorite light. 80 lumens out the end and a world class warranty.

Numbers

Enlightened
Get the G2L, because it's a SF, but beware you will be opening the flood gates. You will want more SF's and you will forget those other brands. At least that's how it went for me.

da.gee

Enlightened
The G2L is a nice light. A few things I've noticed, compared to the 6P:
  • it is slightly less bulky
  • it is slightly lighter
  • the LOTC operation is easier than on a 6P
  • the nitrolon feels great in your hand
  • nitrolon should be very tough
  • beam is similar
If you're not concerned about the thermal regulation (which has been improved with the addition of the aluminum bezel) then it is a great light. If you were running contiinuous for long periods of time I might consider another model. Go for it!

Garand

Newly Enlightened
protection.
G2L beats ROV 3 in output and is beaten by Taskforce strictly by the numbers.

Are you saying that according to the official specs the Taskforce has the G2L beat but in reality it would be hard to tell them apart with the naked eye?

Garand

Newly Enlightened
Well I went on over to Lowe's and bought the G2L. It is better than my ROV 3 watt but not that much better to cost three times more and to have to deal with the expensive batteries.

I may take it back. It did not impress me that much.

da.gee

Enlightened
The G2L doesn't have a lot of WOW factor. It's just a solid little tool that should last a long time. I appreciate its form and function. For $65 and a lifetime warranty I think its a pretty good deal. Sorry you don't like it.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Get a Q5 drop in and be happy. IMO a used SF makes the light a better value if you are going to use it as a platform to leggo. But I already said that sorry.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
i bet it'll impress you when it's still working in five years and your ray-o- vac ain't !!!:nana:

I went into a Bang and Olsen (I am sure I am NOT spelling that right) stereo store over a decade ago. There was a nice little mini-system for $1800.00 It had a cassette deck, cd player and tuner. I asked the salesman (being serious...was making really good money back then) why i should spend and extra $1200 to buy the B&O system over the Denon mini system I was looking at.

He told me that because His system would still be working 20 years from now...where the Denon would not. I smiled and walked out of the store. Had I bought the system...I guess I could still be listening to some nice cassette tapes:rolleyes:

I am very impressed with my Q5 lights....but I really hope in 3 years they have been given away or sold. My cellphone has gps and other cool stuff....I do not plan of having it 3 years from now either.

The G2l is 80 lumens out the front for 5 minutes....then it goes to 55 for three hours.

I will continue to buy the best (output...UI etc) lights I can afford now... but the times have changed. I do not plan on keeping them forever any longer. They are more like cellphones. You keep them for a year or two at the most...and then get new.

Numbers

Enlightened
I went into a Bang and Olsen (I am sure I am NOT spelling that right) stereo store over a decade ago. There was a nice little mini-system for $1800.00 It had a cassette deck, cd player and tuner. I asked the salesman (being serious...was making really good money back then) why i should spend and extra $1200 to buy the B&O system over the Denon mini system I was looking at.

He told me that because His system would still be working 20 years from now...where the Denon would not. I smiled and walked out of the store. Had I bought the system...I guess I could still be listening to some nice cassette tapes:rolleyes:

I am very impressed with my Q5 lights....but I really hope in 3 years they have been given away or sold. My cellphone has gps and other cool stuff....I do not plan of having it 3 years from now either.

The G2l is 80 lumens out the front for 5 minutes....then it goes to 55 for three hours.

I will continue to buy the best (output...UI etc) lights I can afford now... but the times have changed. I do not plan on keeping them forever any longer. They are more like cellphones. You keep them for a year or two at the most...and then get new.
That's not a bad theory, It's just that some want to do it at the B&O level and not the Denon level.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it will work with rechargeable cells.
It also has a much longer run time than the ROV unit. Leave them b on for a hour or so and see what you have.

I doubt that Garand is the kind of guy who is going to drop the kind of dough on a Q5 drop in. In order to get a good one you have to spend $50.00.
I just don't see Garand as the kind of guy who is going to drop $50.00 on a $75.00 light. all of a n a $75.00 light becomes a $125.00 light.

He is so unimpressed with the G2 at 75 I doubt he will be impressed with a $125 G2.

It is sort of hard to justify really. My G2 now has a Malkoff and a surefire Clicky.
$37 clicky
$75 G2L
$55

$167.00 total
That is cheap flashlight by any stretch.
It is a great light but not cheap.
Yaesumofo

Get a Q5 drop in and be happy. IMO a used SF makes the light a better value if you are going to use it as a platform to leggo. But I already said that sorry.

Latest posts