Quick Fenix T1 Questions

Buster Bodine

Newly Enlightened
Hey y'all,

Okay, I've been searching and reading about the T1 for the last couple of days and have just about decided this is the one I've got to have but I have a few quick questions I haven't been able to find answers to.

1. I saw in somebody's sig line where they were happy about the pocket clip "finally breaking." Is there a problem with these things breaking? Are they fragile or something?

2. It seems like the ad copy is telling me it has High/Low modes, SOS, and regular Fast Strobe. Is this correct?

3. It says there's a low battery indicator. Where is it? Does the tail cap light up or what?

4. It looks like the steel bezel can be removed, can the lens be replaced if it gets broken during a "perp smack?"

5. People have said there are concerns about durability but I can't find any actual complaints. Any grounds for this? If so, how's the guarantee/return policy? (I've never even touched a Fenix light before.)

6. I plan on using the T1 as an offhand weapon light and GP EDC light as well. Does the smooth reflector really make that much of a difference to usable beam quality?

Quick answers will be greatly appreciated, I'd really like to place my order later this evening if possible, thanks!

PS, please keep your answers fairly "Plain Language" I'm just a guy who likes flashlights and barely know the difference between a Flux Capacitor and an Interoceter.
:-D

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. I saw in somebody's sig line where they were happy about the pocket clip "finally breaking." Is there a problem with these things breaking? Are they fragile or something?

nope; it seems to be quite durable

2. It seems like the ad copy is telling me it has High/Low modes, SOS, and regular last Strobe. Is this correct?

low and high; thats all; no strobe or SOS.

3. It says there's a low battery indicator. Where is it? Does the tail cap light up or what?

the LED might blink; not sure; someone smarter than me will have to answer that.

4. It looks like the steel bezel can be removed, can the lens be replaced if it gets broken during a "perp smack?"

probably, but don't know for sure

5. People have said there are concerns about durability but I can't find any actual complaints. Any grounds for this? If so, how's the guarantee/return policy? (I've never even touched a Fenix light before.)

the T1 appears to be quite durable, and is built like a tank (as they say); Fenix-store.com has superb customer service.

6. Does the smooth reflector really make that much of a difference to usable beam quality?

dont have mine in front of me, but I think its a light stipple and not smooth

Don't be afraid; just buy it. The only down side for me is that the clip is not easily removable (for most folks), and I wish it had a strobe.

cheers

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
People are happy about breaking off the clip because some people don't like the clip. It likely isn't going to break off on its own.

High and ... well I'd call it a medium, not a low. But that's it, 2 levels.

The light flickers rapidly when the battery runs low. (Not like a strobe though.) Still makes light, just lets you know it wont be making light for much longer.

You really think you're going to break a Stainless Steel Bezel? I don't know if it is removable or not.

I'm not a big fenix fan, but I'd have no concerns about the durability of the T1. Got to hold one and it satisfied me - in the durability department at least.

I've seen posts about there being a smooth reflector version. The first units shipped have all been textured, OP reflectors. I don't know if there are any smoothies in the wild yet.

This is all just from the top of my head, memory etc. Hope it helps.

Buster Bodine

Newly Enlightened
You really think you're going to break a Stainless Steel Bezel? I don't know if it is removable or not.

No, I don't. However I figure I'm probably tough enough to break the glass lens inside if it.

Maybe.

On a good day.

:)

Thanks for the quick answers, guys. I knew I could count on you! Bummer about the lack of a strobe though. I may have to look at some of their other offerings, I'm really hooked on the whole Strobe/SOS idea.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I don't. However I figure I'm probably tough enough to break the glass lens inside if it.

Maybe.

On a good day.

:)

Thanks for the quick answers, guys. I knew I could count on you! Bummer about the lack of a strobe though. I may have to look at some of their other offerings, I'm really hooked on the whole Strobe/SOS idea.

P3D Q5 is what you want.

Buster Bodine

Newly Enlightened
P3D Q5 is what you want.

HA! Actually, I was just coming back to ask a question about that one!

Is the head on the P3D interchangable with the L2D (AA) body? I really like the idea of being able to swap between 123 and AA batts.

If so, can I get the L2D bodies separate?

Thanks again!

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
HA! Actually, I was just coming back to ask a question about that one!

Is the head on the P3D interchangable with the L2D (AA) body? I really like the idea of being able to swap between 123 and AA batts.

If so, can I get the L2D bodies separate?

Thanks again!

Nope. The P3D head is special, for P3D only. As in, it is different from a L2D and even a P2D head.

You will not be disappointed with the P3D Q5. I have wowed everyone who has seen it work.

It is not a heavy duty light though as in it;s body cannot take the beating the t1 is designed to take. The p3D Q5's body is made of thinner aluminum. But it is light and small best as an EDC.

Buster Bodine

Newly Enlightened
Nope. The P3D head is special, for P3D only. As in, it is different from a L2D and even a P2D head.

You will not be disappointed with the P3D Q5. I have wowed everyone who has seen it work.

Thanks man, you're a prince among men!

It is not a heavy duty light though as in it;s body cannot take the beating the t1 is designed to take. The p3D Q5's body is made of thinner aluminum. But it is light and small best as an EDC.

As long as it'll stand up to the rigors of responsible EDC and the occasional "Whoops!" moment of clumsiness, I'm fine with it. If I have to prang somebody in the grape with it, breaking the flashlight will be the least of my worries.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'll take a stab at the questions that haven't been fully answered:

No separate indicator. Instead, the LED blinks rapidly when in high; it's almost as if the light were strobing.

Yes, it can be removed. Given the amount of torture some of us have been putting the T1 through, I highly doubt the window will break under normal use. It took several *hard* throws against a wall for datiLED to break the window on his T1. Mine's logged over 500 drops on concrete from 2m height and the window is intact. In fact, the bezel is been minimally affected too.

The switch is the weak link on this light, but 4sevens at fenix-store will take care of any warranty issues you may have. Other than that, there're multiple reasons this is labeled "tank" light. One of the beefiest lights I've seen.

6. I plan on using the T1 as an offhand weapon light and GP EDC light as well. Does the smooth reflector really make that much of a difference to usable beam quality?
Read this review for reports of the T1 used with a gun. Smooth reflectors have more "throw", but the T1 is so bright and the reflector so deep and lightly stippled that the difference would be minimal.

CWR712

Newly Enlightened
Both (P3D & T1) are good lights-but both are very different. As mentioned above, P3 is not built nearly as well as the T1, but the T1 is really a beast. The P3 will hold it's own in normal, everyday use.

If multiple modes is what you seek, the P3 is for you.

Steel and Light

Newly Enlightened
Got em both, love em both! The P3 can sort of fit in your pocket which the T1 will not. And the P3 leaves a smaller profile on your belt. But the T1 will work for the apocalypse.

By the way, you can remove the T1 bezel with the spine of a knife, placing it across and into the cut outs and turning. Clean the lens that way.

Oh gotta run, DX has a 4 led light!

Buster Bodine

Newly Enlightened
Damn. I'm glad there are others willing to put their lights through such torture. That's certainly more hard times than my lights are ever going to see!

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you know whats funny, i tried breaking the plastic lens of a fairly cheap flashlight, i took pliers to it, like hammered the lens with the end of it. Didn't manage to break it, only dent it so that got alot of potholes on it..

Crenshaw