Dereelight DBS - my first true LED thrower

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several hundred flashlights in my collection - both LED's and Hotwires. Until recently I was convinced that only hot-wires could be throwers. All my tests and challenges to other local CPFers only reinforced my assumption.

I have a simple discriminator test to determine if, in my opinion, a light is a thrower or not. Standing in my driveway can the light turn off the streetlight in front of my house. If it can, it's a thrower. If it can't, it's not a thrower.

I know that the sensor on the streetlight favors the lower color temperature of hot-wires so I, initially, didn't even try the Dereelight DBS. Tonight after taking the dogs for a walk in a large open school yard and playing with the light, I thought if any of my led lights could pass the thrower test this one could, but I didn't hold out much hope.

Much to my surprise, and delight, the Dereelight DBS on high (mine is a 2 stage) turned out the streetlight.

An additional bonus for the light is that it is deigned to run on a single li-ion 18650. A very nice finishing touch is that the positive clicky tail switch cover is glow-in-the-dark. The light appears to be very solid in its construction and comes with a wrist lanyard that attaches nicely to the tail cap.

2thumbsup.gif
to Dereelight for producing my first true LED thrower.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's pretty impressive what the LED throwers can do. I was surprised my Ultrafire WF-500, which is rated for around 500 lumens, doesn't read as high on my LUX meter at one meter as the DBS and Raidfire do. Of course the DBS and Raidfire have pencil beams compared to the wider beam of the WF-500.

Imagine when we have Cree R5's or better in these lights? I'm waiting to see 40,000LUX or more on my lux meter at some point. :)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
My DBS still makes me giggle. I can't wait for better emitters in 6 months. I hope things continue to scale well over the next year for phosphor LEDs. And I hope to see some RGBs soon too.

z282z06

Newly Enlightened
I have several hundred flashlights in my collection - both LED's and Hotwires. Until recently I was convinced that only hot-wires could be throwers. All my tests and challenges to other local CPFers only reinforced my assumption.

I have a simple discriminator test to determine if, in my opinion, a light is a thrower or not. Standing in my driveway can the light turn off the streetlight in front of my house. If it can, it's a thrower. If it can't, it's not a thrower.

I know that the sensor on the streetlight favors the lower color temperature of hot-wires so I, initially, didn't even try the Dereelight DBS. Tonight after taking the dogs for a walk in a large open school yard and playing with the light, I thought if any of my led lights could pass the thrower test this one could, but I didn't hold out much hope.

Much to my surprise, and delight, the Dereelight DBS on high (mine is a 2 stage) turned out the streetlight.

An additional bonus for the light is that it is deigned to run on a single li-ion 18650. A very nice finishing touch is that the positive clicky tail switch cover is glow-in-the-dark. The light appears to be very solid in its construction and comes with a wrist lanyard that attaches nicely to the tail cap.

2thumbsup.gif
to Dereelight for producing my first true LED thrower.
you walk your dog in school yard where kids play! P:oops: I hope you bring some baggies!

How much is that dereelight?:(

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
you walk your dog in school yard where kids play! P:oops: I hope you bring some baggies!
The school doesn't mind as long as you pick up after. Although they do have signs at all the gates with a picture of a schnauzer with a line through it. Very effective - I've seen a lot of dogs at the school yard but not a single schnauzer
smoker.gif