Rattlesnake charging problem ?

mikehill

Enlightened
Hi,
I use a Wolf Eyes M90 with 3 150A's and a tailcap charger. Recently the charger failed and I have been sent a new one. Only thing is that when I try to use it the light shines at full brightness and the led on the charger is really dim red. Also there is a whining noise coming from it ...
I have inserted the batteries negative towards the head and the light itself used to glow dimly in the past when charging, which I'm told is normal. Any idea's ? I really don't want to damage this new charger by leaving it on.
Thanks, Mike.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Mate i think you put this one in the wrong threads, but regardless i will try and help.

I had a similar problem when i first started charging my Rattlesnake. I had initally pulled apart my Rattlesnake for photos and when replacing the batteries i put them in backwards (positive towards the lamp). Light still operated as normal however when i put the tail cap charger on i had exactly the same result as you mention. Pull the batteries back out and place them in negative first (towards the Lamp assembly) and low and behold the charger worked as promised with a dull glow from the lamp

mikehill

Enlightened
Sorry if it's in the wrong section. Ooops I see ... as it's the only incan I own I forgot about that. Maybe some kind admin could move it for me ;) As I said the batts are in negative towards the head. I never actually removed them until now to check.

Last edited:

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Sorry i can't help then, like i said i had exactly the same problem but cured it by fixing my stupid mistake (just glad i didn't do any damage) and i thought this might be a simple case of the same thing, but i guess not.

You mention that you had the charger replaced? Did the old one work as it should have? Mike from PTS should drop by soon and hopefully give you some ideas.

mikehill

Enlightened
The old charger completely died on me. It almost seems like this new one has a dead short across the tailcap, hence the full beam from the light. I'll have to dig out my meter and measure it on ohms ...

mikehill

Enlightened
Right ... just put the meter on the tailcap. There is no short. However it is supplying 14.8v. The positive is on the outside ring of the tailcap. Surely it should be on the middle terminal if the positive end of the 168A is touching it ? If so WE may have changed it, because my last charger functioned perfectly until after a few weeks.

Last edited:

mikehill

Enlightened
I think I may have found the problem. I had them inserted as KeeperSD mentions. It also says this on the FR review of this light. However the manual states "Anode towards the tailcap." The opposite way round :shrug:
The thing that I can't work out is how did it work fine for so long on the last charger, and this one won't have it straight away ?

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Sounds very strange. I just double checked mine again (just to make sure), it definately charges with the positive terminal towards the tail cap. Maybe WE have changed the configuration but that would be a strange and potentially dangerous thing to do. Have you tried it with batteries inserted as the manual states?

mikehill

Enlightened
Sounds very strange. I just double checked mine again (just to make sure), it definately charges with the positive terminal towards the tail cap. Maybe WE have changed the configuration but that would be a strange and potentially dangerous thing to do. Have you tried it with batteries inserted as the manual states?

The manual states it working "anode towards the tailcap) ie ... +V towards the head. It happens to be fine, just that there must be either misunderstandings, or WE have changed their polarity ? I have no idea which ...

Last edited: