headlights: a combat perspective

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
Well, it's an older article but I just came across it, saw that it hadn't been posted before, and thought it would be interesting to you guys:

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/first-in-a-series-survival-kit-contents-headlights.htm

Below is a cut and paste from Michael Yon's website, michaelyon-online.com. He is a writer, blogger and former Green Beret who has been working in Iraq (mostly) for the past few years. Politics aside (and hopefully kept out of this thread), his is an interesting perspective here because he writes about soldiers as a journalist of sorts but, because of his former job, has a more intimate understanding of his subjects than most. Enjoy...

Baquba, Iraq
Troops rotating into Iraq should try to avoid dying needlessly.
Our troops in Iraq are increasingly prepared; the new up-armored Humvees, for instance, are routinely shot at and blown up by roadside IEDs and usually the troops walk away. I saw one vehicle yesterday where the front end had been nearly blown off two days earlier, yet everyone walked away. The shockwave blew the earplugs out of the soldiers' ears, but they were fine and returned to duty. Despite the good news, there is always room for improvement.
Many of our troops are not being issued critical items. Items that can save lives. In a word: lights. There is no doubt that Coalition soldiers and Iraqi civilians are dying in Iraq because they lack the right kinds of lights.
Consider this situation: some nights ago, we were in firefight. The .50-caliber gunner in the Humvee that I took cover behind had a problem that threatened to deadline his gun. We were taking serious direct fire. We needed his machine gun. Amid all the shooting, his voice called out, "I need a light!"
During the same firefight, while bullets were flying, soldiers started running out of M16 ammunition. One soldier was searching among all the ammo piled in the Humvee, trying to feel for the M16 magazines. "Where's the M16 ammo?!" he shouted. The Humvee was packed with machine-gun ammo, with hand grenades, and with 40mm grenades, but where did the M16 cans get kicked to?
Moments later, as the shooting raged, a voice on the radio crackled that yet another .50-caliber gun on another Humvee in our convoy would not fire. We now had problems with two machine guns, and were running out of M16 ammunition. One gunner was using my headlight while someone else rummaged for ammo.
This was not good: we had four Humvees and four crew-served weapons. Two of those weapons needed lights to keep them working. Not to mention the other problem of "where's the M16 ammo!"
Although I will argue that every soldier should have a light, it is also true that ammo cans and other essentials should be marked with Velcro or other tactile materials so soldiers can quickly identify them by feel in the dark. This trick works, but doesn't change the fact that our troops need lights. More specifically, they need headlights.
Practically every raid I go on, whether noon or midnight, someone says, "Who's got a light? I need a light!" The soldiers know that headlights are not available through the supply channels except to the medics. Some soldiers have had lights mailed from home, but this leaves many others in the dark. And if that soldier who is left in the dark happens to be a machine-gunner or other key person, everyone else might be left in the cold, dead.
In Iraq, every person is key. Every soldier should have a headlight.
Now, soldiers have lights, but they usually have the wrong kinds. Many troops are wearing the thumb-sized LEDs. These are nice for the FOBs (I have two), but are practically useless on raids, in firefights, or when people get shot and need assistance. Soldiers and contractors cannot depend on those five-dollar lights when leaving the FOBs; they are not suitable for combat.
I've heard some argue that headlights are not needed and that the smaller LEDs are sufficient. Most of the people who make this claim have insufficient experience in harsh environments.
In addition to the small LEDs, some soldiers are depending on their weapons's lights. The problem is that these are extremely bright and do not have red filters. There's no question that these Surefire-type lights on the weapons are important, but their usefulness has a limited scope, primarily for clearing buildings and shooting people. The Surefire-type lights should be used for combat only; they are not best for times when both hands are needed for searching in closets and rummaging around through trunks and drawers. When a soldier doesn't have a headlight, another soldier often has to stand there pointing his loaded weapon to illuminate the search zone.
There are situations where someone is shot, blown up or otherwise damaged and the number of people who can provide direct assistance is limited because at least one other soldier needs both hands to operate the Surefire. The tactical weapons's lights are simply not meant to be general-purpose illuminators. They are also vampires that suck vital juices from batteries so thoroughly that the cells practically collapse like raisins after a single night. If serious combat were only an occasional threat over here, this power-consumption might not be a major drawback. But when combat patrols and raids are happening on a daily basis, this extrapolates into a serious problem, not to mention that the lithium batteries for these lights are expensive and often hard to find in Iraq. The elections may have been a big success, but we're at least a decade away from a Wal-Mart just up the road.
Many soldiers prefer the mini Maglites. I have several at home in the US. Great little lights: for the glove box, the nightstand, the basement, for camping, and for cops. Soldiers sometimes fashion "headlights" by clenching the little metal Maglites between their teeth. But after running, dodging bullets, hurdling obstacles for city blocks, then running up and down stairs carrying plated body armor, weapons and hand grenades, a soldier trying to grip and aim that little metal light between his teeth will be lucky not to inhale it. Besides, why jerry-rig something that you can get inexpensively and well-made in the US?
Having used headlights for years I know there are a number of good models, but I have found one in particular that works well here in Iraq: Petzl brand, TacTikka Plus model. And, for those cynics who read about all the pundits on secret payrolls to promote programs and policies, let me just say–I have no professional relationship to the Petzl Company. They probably never heard of Michael Yon; and if they have, they haven't bothered to solicit or pay for my endorsement.
Here's what I like about the TacTikka Plus. It has 4 LEDs. It is small and bright. It is comfortable to wear and designed so that the controls are intuitive to operate, even in chaotic environments. It has 4 settings: dim, medium, bright and strobe. Few people seem to use the strobe, but the three other adjustments come in handy.
The TacTikka Plus also has a red-light shutter. There is a Tikka model that does not have the red filter. Do not buy this light. No headlight should be brought to Iraq without red-light capability. A drawback is that the TacTikka Plus uses AAA not AA batteries. However, with good batteries, the TacTikka Plus is bright enough for close work.
Advertisements claim that the AAA batteries will last for about 150 hours of continuous use, but I change the TacTikka Plus batteries every twenty or so hours.
These lights cost about forty bucks, and can save lives. Yesterday morning, I snapped the photograph above of a soldier wearing a Petzl with 3 LEDs. He's getting good use of it, but the model with 4 LEDs is a better choice. The Army medics use this TacTikka Plus; if it's good enough for combat medics, it's pretty doggone good.

spyderknut

Enlightened
No question a headlight is critical when both hands are needed in the dark. I wonder however if troops are nervous about having something to potentially aim at on their forehead.:eek:

FoxFury

Newly Enlightened
Thanks sb_pete for sharing that article. That's some good insight.

There are definitely different types of headlamps and helmet lights available for Military use to serve the many niches.

Spyderknut...from what I've heard and learned, Military and LEO in the line of fire definitely don't want to give away where their forehead is located. They tend to prefer side-worn (rather than front / forehead worn) lights in such combat situations and look for lights with a fast On/Off and a breakaway design.

For combat medics and even mechanics, they need as much light as possible and free hands to get the job done and go the traditional (front / forehead worn) headlamp route.

Kingdomseeder

Newly Enlightened
First post, but thought it was interesting also. I have worked in LE some and can tell you from training that you're right about lights on your head. It's the first place to aim for when you see it. I am certainly no expert, but I do not believe that when in a fire fight situation you want to try and remember a light on your head. I have been taught to use just the basic of motor skills and know them well. Having a light on your head and then remembering to shut it off in a stressed situation is not good. I have seen what can happen in a stressful situation when you are trying to remember you light switch with a gun in your hands.

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
Certainly a practical point about having a target on your head, but I imagine the bigger danger would be reflected light from a lens or reflector in such a prominent and vulnerable area of the body. Of course, a simple cloth cover like those used on soldiers eye-protection when stowed on the helmet could prevent that and the use of unreflectorized leds also would cut down the risk (the main use, at least according to the author, being close up low light illumination in very dark areas like inside a vehicle at night where even NODs (night-vision devices) have trouble picking up enough light to be of use).
I would think leaving the light on or accidentally activating it (or even having one prone to accidental activation) would be somewhat akin to an accidental discharge of a firearm. From what I know, bonehead moves which can get people killed like that tend to be swiftly and effectively disciplined by the soldier's peers.

I think the most interesting part for me was the mention of how available "surefire type" weaponlights are (and the apparent unavailability of batteries:ohgeez:), yet headlights are not available through official channels. That's normal enough as soldiers often have to obtain plenty of their own gear, but the apparent general lack of knowledge regarding other lighting is striking. As Foxfury said, there is plenty of good illumination gear designed expressly for their purposes (some great versions made by his company), yet guys are using plain old minimags held in the mouth. Military guys are well known to demand KISS simplicity and cockroach-in-a-nuclear-blast reliability. A lot of troops also don't exactly have bucketloads of disposable income and develop a tough-guy disdain for "gucci-gear." Seems like the market would be wide-open for a simple, cheap, emphasis on tough-as-nails rather than bright headlamp which is marketed to the military...

I'd never given it any thought before, but I think Foxfury also had a real point talking about the side mount thing. Seeing as the front of a helmet is already taken up by NOD's and eye-protection, that's about the only space there is. Not to mention the possible need to use it in conjunction with the NODs. Not to start another topic but foxfury got me thinking so what about a simple tube-type, slightly larger than the 1aa that would power it; twist-on or SF style momentary with twist-on constant (more $ tho); and a head with 2-4 single side-facing leds zebralight-style (maybe white, red, IR, ?) - twist the head to decide which led lights up and make the whole thing out of nitrolon or something similar.

Anyways, enough thinking out loud for now...

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I though soldiers use night vision goggles? Those ones that show everything as bright green. No need for headlights, right?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's kind of hard to relate until you have a helmet on your head 12-16 hours a day...but I don't believe the helmet lights were designed to be used in a fire-fight. That's why we're taught light & noise discipline...so we don't have a helmet light on in "immediate danger" enviroments (or firefights)...but, once again, when we wear our helemts, it's all day...12-16 hours...and when we're not shooting at bad-guys, we have other jobs...still wearing our helmets...and a side-mounted, hands free helmet light is an indespensible aid...whether reading maps, vehicle inspections, or one of the other million non-combat tasks we have to perform (with our helmets still on)...it's about high-time some-one in the industry realized this...thanks Sure-fire and Foxury for looking out for us!

HPIM1278.jpg

Last edited:

AlexSchira

Enlightened
I just picked up a Tactikka Plus the other day, was wondering from the start how it would fare in military use. If I get funds for a care package I might send a couple over.