Most lame product of 2007?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
OK, the year is just about over. What would you say is the lamest new product of the year? What new, overpriced items has capitalism wrought to fill needs which weren't there? Or to solve problems which were already long ago solved?

I haven't thought about this much but so far my vote goes to the iPhone. Hmm, it's a phone, it's a iPod, it's a camera, it's an....overpriced gadget which everyone thinks they need but which few will probably actually find very useful.

OK, everyone list your candidates (more than one is OK). If possible also give your reasons. I'm sure I'll have some others to add to the list.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must say I love my iphone, its an amazing device. Maybe you should use one? or maybe you should think about it a little more before starting a thread that feels like trolling?

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some kind of goofy putty that "Billy Mays" sells on TV. It's just mixed together with your fingers and wala, it's strong enough to connect two sections of tow cable together and pull a big rig with a lowboy and a Cat dozer on the back. Or stick a shelf to drywall and two burly men can sit on it no problem. What a joke! Plus his voice is so irratating, I don't wanna go there........ All for $19.99! :thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:poof::poof::poof::green::green::green:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I must say I love my iphone, its an amazing device. have you used one?
I don't even have a cell phone. To me that, or a device like an iPhone, is a solution to a problem I don't have. I'm sure it's a great fit for some people. It's just that I bet many who have one don't use half the features. And it got my vote because of lame features like a non-user replaceable battery among other things. I think there was actually a whole thread on that subject here.

Anyway, I don't want to debate why I feel the iPhone is lame. I just do. I'll bet every candidate for lame product of the year in this thread will find avid supporters. After all, if it's being made, somebody must be buying it.

I think I'll go watch some informercials now. That should provide sources for some more candidates. :laughing:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Actually, I've got another. Those stick-up closet lights which look like a light bulb. First off, why take up all the extra space with a fake, plastic light bulb which just gets in the way? Second, they don't even use an LED like the Sylvania Dot-It! closet lights. They use a Xenon flashlight bulb which will suck the battery dry in no time, and probably require replacement in short order. Of course, they don't sell replacement bulbs, so you probably just throw the whole thing out when the bulb goes. Even if they did, a whole new one is probably not much more than just the bulb.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I don't even have a cell phone. To me that, or a device like an iPhone, is a solution to a problem I don't have. I'm sure it's a great fit for some people.

I will admit that I mostly use my cellphone as just a phone, to keep in touch with my friends. But there have been moments in my life when I truly needed a portable phone.

The iPhone is an expensive toy. A friend of mine has a couple of them. He let me try out the internet feature. Works great! Better than any other phone I've owned in the past that claimed to have real internet on it. (Naturally I logged on to CPF). Still, it sucks that you can't replace the battery on your own.

I'm sure there have been far worse products in 2007.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't even have a cell phone. To me that, or a device like an iPhone, is a solution to a problem I don't have.
I haven't thought about this much but so far my vote goes to the iPhone. Hmm, it's a phone, it's a iPod, it's a camera, it's an....overpriced gadget which everyone thinks they need but which few will probably actually find very useful.

I see a flaw in your line of thinking about the iphone, Im sure by seeing both your quotes you will find it too :)

The iphone may not be the best phone ever, but to date IMHO is the most innovative one and it has lots of yet untapped potential under the hood.

cheers

Pablo

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Mighty Putty that Billy Mays sells on tv seems like a contender to me. After all, isn't that just radiator and gas tank repair putty? Same stuff it seems. And he makes it seem so new and innovative. Yeah, right! And for how much? I can just go to Autozone or Napa and get the same stuff for 1/2 the price I think.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I definitely understand where JTR is coming from and agree with many of his points. Last time my cellphone had a screwup and had to be replaced, my existing phone had been discontinued. The AT&T salesperson was extolling the virtues of the latest and greatest piece of uber-technology when I interrupted her mid-stream and said, "Do you know what I do with my cellphone? I TALK on it. That's it." Blank look; she just didn't get it. I asked for the most rugged one she had, regardless of nifty features or cost.

That said, I'm glad the iPhone exists. Doubtless it's the answer to prayers for some people, and lots of fun for casual users. Don't like it? That's fine, you don't have to buy one.

:buddies:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I definitely understand where JTR is coming from and agree with many of his points. Last time my cellphone had a screwup and had to be replaced, my existing phone had been discontinued. The AT&T salesperson was extolling the virtues of the latest and greatest piece of uber-technology when I interrupted her mid-stream and said, "Do you know what I do with my cellphone? I TALK on it. That's it." Blank look; she just didn't get it. I asked for the most rugged one she had, regardless of nifty features or cost.

That said, I'm glad the iPhone exists. Doubtless it's the answer to prayers for some people, and lots of fun for casual users. Don't like it? That's fine, you don't have to buy one.

:buddies:

They also have the iPhone, without the phone feature! Not sure what they call it, but it's much more slim. Does all the things the iPhone does.... except allow you to make calls. There's no monthly bills either.... But you have to locate a hotspot in order to use the internet feature. On the iPhone that's also a phone, you can log in from anywhere.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 to windows vista, pointless piece of OS..

i really dont see the point of an iphone either, its not the lamest product, but almost any sony ericsson phone can do just about everything it can, albeit with a smaller screen, but at half, or less then half the price..all the same there are definetly worse products out there

that review was just......:wtf:
that guy clearly has nothing better to do....
and when we has nothing better to do..he copies text and pastes it...:eek:oo:

Crenshaw

Greta

Flashaholic
I gotta go with the iPhone too... and I'm one of those people who can't live without a cell phone! My cell is my life line... but only so someone can call me or text me that I need to get to a computer to do something with CPF... :D If I want to go online, I go to where there is a computer. If I want music, I turn on the radio or CD player in the car or on my desk next to my computer or the music channels on my digital cable. My son has an iPod. I just bought him a brand new "Touch" one for Christmas... $300!!! ... and for what? So he can put his earphones on and tune out the rest of the world?!?!? NOT!!! ... yes, there are rules that come with that expensive little gadget that HE feels is the beat-all-end-all. The iPhone is not for me... but I can see where it might be for others. Their needs are different than mine. I still think it's very overpriced and lame though... :cool:

MURDOK72605

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys first post. Read the opening and couldn't help but to drop in and say hi. Hi! Back to the post... check out the gigs on the iphone. The introductory iphones didn't have much and the next gen should have more but imagine the people that will pay the expense to upgrade. I don't think it is useless just too costly a marketing gimic for something that will be replaced, repackaged, and remarketed by a later model with more gigs. Then again I have an ocean so who am I to talk. :whistle:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
...my vote goes to the iPhone. Hmm, it's a phone, it's a iPod, it's a camera, it's an....overpriced gadget which everyone thinks they need but which few will probably actually find very useful...

Yes, this is one of the greatest examples of successful marketing. Getting people to part with a lot of their money for something that is not actually that useful. I also vote for the iPhone.