replacement for Surefire e2e

penguinland

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to switch away from my Surefire e2e to something led based. The main purpose of the light is for light during self defense situations so it needs to have more than 60 lumens. I would also like a low light mode as I am tired of cooking my retinas everytime I shine it under a table in a restaurant to find one of my kids toys. I would also like to stick with 123 batteries. I don't want anything larger than what I have now and it needs to be able to take a good drop on the ground. I would like to stay under $60 with this one. An recommendations would be appreciated. I was looking over the forum and there is so much to digest.:twothumbs

Edit- Or if anyone knows of an LED module for the e2e besides the replacement head from Surefire I would entertain that

Last edited:

rtt

Enlightened
Have you considered getting the SF KX2 Cree head? 45 lumens and long requlated run time. Just change heads and you have the ican and led available for your e2e body.

greenLED

Flashaholic
:welcome: penguinland

As mentioned, the new KX2 head would work. Alternatively, you could go with the new L1 Cree, which matches all your requirements (except price).

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Well with all your parameters you are looking for a dream light. The L2 would be perfect. But I hate to have to tell you that 2 modes, high greater than 60 lumens, tough enough for self defense, and UNDER 60 bucks isnt gonna happen. I want an L2 and am getting one soon.

-Evan

penguinland

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. I have considered the KX2 head but $66 for just the head really irks me especially when I would lose lumens. I've seriously considered a Fenix P3D but I don't know how durable they are. I have heard that they are very bright and have lower output modes

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the KX2. It is bright enough for most use even if I have a few 170 lumens (bulb lumens) lights! You probably won't see much difference with the E2E and the KX2 has one of the most useable beam available. I love it. :)

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KX2 would be a great replacement for the E2e. Bonus: 9 hours of regulated out put. it's leaps and bounds ahead of other offers except in sheer output and gadgetry. But if you already owned an E2e you would probably value reliability more than flashiness.

I also have the EM-T, which is very well made. It however has a different beam pattern than the E2e. if you like flood light than look no further. If you want moderate reach, the KX2 will work better.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for the input. I have considered the KX2 head but $66 for just the head really irks me especially when I would lose lumens. I've seriously considered a Fenix P3D but I don't know how durable they are. I have heard that they are very bright and have lower output modes

I own a Fenix P3D Q5 model. Also own a Surefire E2e, along with two LED models from my Surefire collection. (L4 and L5).

I too usually carry a light with Self-Defense in mind. My P3D is my work light, never carried when out & about on my free time. Yes, it is very bright. Brighter and whiter than my E2e. But the various modes are not so easy to access, compared to Surefire's multi-mode lights. For S.D., a momentary tailcap switch or a well-designed foward clickie is best. The P3D uses a reverse clickie. The barrel of the P3D is also quite smooth. No match for the checkering on an E2e. Drawing the P3D from it's holster is not as quick as just grabbing an E2e that's clipped to the top of your pocket.

The Surefire L1 does indeed sound like the best candidate for your needs.... with the obvious exception of price. You could try a Fenix T1 model. But that light is still too new for me to recommend it to anyone looking for a light reliable enough for S.D.

The T1 has no track record. Keep that in mind if you decide to take a chance on it.

I would love to get output of my P3D (on turbo mode) in the body of my E2e. If someone could make a light like that, I'd literally buy 3 of them; and never buy another 2xCR123 light ever again!

penguinland

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the great info. I did look at the T1 but it is too large. I would just start carrying my 6P again over the T1. I guess I'll just pickup a head or module. Has anyone compared the KX2 head to the drop in module mentioned above ? Also 2 more things while I have your attention.

1. I need a P60 module for my Surefire 618 and I just need pure blinding light. Is the P61 by surefire the way to go or is there an LED option that is brighter ?

2. What is the recommended rechargeable battery for the 6P and the e2e ? Also which charger

Thanks

BigD64

Enlightened
I would look to the Surefire L1 Cree. Single Cr123, 2 light levels and the 60 lumens will give you a good "blinding". The low light is good for looking under tables. It is, IMHO, the closest thing to a perfect EDC light. It will cost you more than 60 bucks though.

Last edited:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the great info. I did look at the T1 but it is too large. I would just start carrying my 6P again over the T1. I guess I'll just pickup a head or module. Has anyone compared the KX2 head to the drop in module mentioned above ? Also 2 more things while I have your attention.

1. I need a P60 module for my Surefire 618 and I just need pure blinding light. Is the P61 by surefire the way to go or is there an LED option that is brighter ?

2. What is the recommended rechargeable battery for the 6P and the e2e ? Also which charger

Thanks

If you want to use rechargeable in your 6P and E2E, you need aftermarket bulbs. Check LumensFactory bulbs. They have brighter option that will run on rechargeables!

Spence

Enlightened
I was in your shoes in September, and it really was hard forking over the long money for the SF L1 CREE, but now I see it was the best money I ever spent on anything. The L1 is simply amazing for it's total usefulness and its' robust feel in your hand and the light it throws with the TIR optics. The single CR123 lasts a long time in mine, but I find the low setting most adequate for my every day carry uses. If you get the L1 you won't be sorry at all, and if you find it doesn't suit your needs, I'll buy it from you, how's that for a recommendation? Just PM me, pal.
:poke::grin2:
Spence

penguinland

Newly Enlightened
I think I'll just sell the e2e and get an L1. Thanks for all the info and Merry Christmas