Lookin for a flashlight around $60-70

Hamburger

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

first point, english is not my first language so I still have some problems using the 'search engine'.:oops:

I am looking for some nice LED flashlight. It does not matter which emitter it uses. Should be just bright and reliable.

Some general information:

- runs with several rechargable batteries ( I would like something with 2xAA if anything runs with that, never saw anything like that before. It's just that 18650 are not very popular in germany and hard to get and I dont want to use that many batteries
- price maximum is $60-70 since the shipping and custom is a big factor for an international user like me
- I do not use it under strange conditions but it would be nice if it can handle 'splash water'(I hope thats the correct word for what I mean) that would be pretty nice.

Right now I only have a 4D Mag with a normal bulb. I am completely overwhelmed by the amount of LED flashlight manufactures that use qualitative great emitter (You are glad if you will find a 1W Luxeon in a flashlight here...)thought it would be easier to decide :)

That's all for the moment, I appreciate any help I can get.

Best regards

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
This huntlight is very good with (2) aa batteries. It will use (1) 123a or 2 AA batteries. It is also available in HAlll coating for $10 more. I have this model.

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2492

There are a number of lights that use 1 123 or 2 aa from DX. Most have a small reflector. This huntlight has a larger head with an OP reflector, and is a better quality light.

Hamburger

Newly Enlightened
Is there any light that runs with 1 or 2 reloadable AA (1.2V / 2.4V) cell ?

The fenix says :
* General Mode: 12 lumens (55hrs) -> 53 lumens (10.5hrs) -> 107 lumens (4hrs) -> SOS
Turbo Mode: 180 lumens (2.4hrs) -> Strobe

So is there no normal high-low-mode ? Only SOS or strobe ?

Best regards

mikehill

Enlightened
Low, med, high and turbo. Then the other 2 modes that don't really matter :D Get the Fenix, it will do all you need !

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
nimm die Fenix, alles andere is Mist.
Wenn AAs, dann eine L2D-CE (Q5 im Moment)
- und verwende sie mit Ni-Mh Akkus, damit geht sie besser als mit normalen Batterien.
High / low geht einfach indem der Lampenkopf gedreht wird --> angeschraubt: turbo, 1/8 umdrehung lose: low

if someone really uses lights often and in the dark, he/she quickly learns, that the LOW modes are used most often, as checking equpiment, reading/writing something, ... does not need the light to come on in full power - especially not with dark adapted eyes.
So a low mode light has to start with low - med - high.

then there are the tactical applications, where its best to get full power on the 1st klick.

Fenix built both possibilities into their GENIOUS user interface and I have yet so see a better one.
High - med - low, or med - high - low, or whatever else, is just for armchair heroes ;)

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I would also go for the Fenix L2D-CE Q5. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8" and I don't think you'll have to worry about customs fee.

It will out lumen the 4D but not out throw it.

Hamburger

Newly Enlightened
Is guarantee a huge factor on that light ?

I could buy that light in germany for around $88 or from fenix-store for $56 quite a nice difference :)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
On the Fenix?

Well, I don't think I've seen a post about someone's broken Fenix CE light(as in doesn't work at all, might have seen one or two but was fixed by Fenix Store). There are a few posts of some problems but almost all of them are fixed after the owner cleaned the light or tightening the tailcap retainer ring. They are pretty durable lights(example here).

Also, the L2D-CE Q5 is about 30% brighter then the L2D-CE(more efficient LED, Cree XR-E P4 bin vs the Q5 bin). Add the 8% off coupon and the price is $57.50 USD shipped.

Hamburger

Newly Enlightened
Just picked up my new Fenix from german custon station. Had to pay 15USD fees :thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

First look on the Fenix is: wow what a nice light. Dont want anythingelse now :) Thanks for you advice and tipps.

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
This huntlight is very good with (2) aa batteries. It will use (1) 123a or 2 AA batteries. It is also available in HAlll coating for $10 more. I have this model.

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2492

There are a number of lights that use 1 123 or 2 aa from DX. Most have a small reflector. This huntlight has a larger head with an OP reflector, and is a better quality light.

I will second that if you need a 2AA/CR123 versatility....the Huntlight is the best option I think...Secondly i would go for the Ultrafire 606 CR2/2AA light. And discard anything else like maglight and romisen.

best of luck, Kostas

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any light that runs with 1 or 2 reloadable AA (1.2V / 2.4V) cell ?

If you mean rechargeable AA NiMH batteries - yes, most 2x AA flashlights will run on NiMH rechargeable AAs quite normally.

I second/third and fourth the recommendation of the Fenix L2D - I personally prefer the much smoother/nice beam of the Rebel 100 edition of the L2D - but the CE-Q5 is just brighter.

But as yellow said most of the time I use my flashlight(s) on Low (L1D-RB100 and L0D-RB80) a brighter high/max/turbo is nice to have - but using at the low level means I MUCH prefer to have a smoother beam with fewer artifacts - like the Rebel series in the Fenix.

Here are a few reviews of Fenix L2D -

Fenix L2D-RB100 Comparison Review

Fenix L2D-CE Comparison Review

The Fenix L2D is very versatile - its head is the same as on the P2D and L1D - so one can buy separately the P2D and L1D bodies to get the use of 1x CR123A or 1x AA - so in a way 3 flashlights in one so to speak.

So is there no normal high-low-mode ? Only SOS or strobe ?

You probably mean 3.6V Li-Ion Rechargeable batteries?

The L2D will run on a single 3.6V Li-Ion rechargeable battery -
eg: a 3.6V RCR123, or 3.6V 14500 (AA size), and whatever the 2AA size/form 3.6V Li-Ion battery.

What happens when the battery is freshly charged - is that all the level modes are still there - but they are basically the same - at the max/Turbo level - the strobe and SOS modes still work.

The Fenix-Store is very good to deal with - they ship Free and Fast -
and they really do stand behind the products they sell.

All the best -
enjoy whichever flashlight you get -
please come back and tell us what you think of it.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you guys bother reading threads?

Just picked up Fenix from german custon station. Had to pay 15USD fees :thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

First look on the Fenix, wow what a nice light. Dont want anythingelse now :) Thanks for you advice and tipps.

Just make sure you don't put the batteries in the wrong way round; both the head and the tail unscrew, and look pretty similar. I unscrewed the head instead of the tail, and loaded in the batteries the wrong way round. I've lost turbo brightness, but should be getting a new head ASAP under warranty (nice service, fenix :))

Last edited: