Maglite Mini 2XCR2, Has it been done and is it worth it?

JackNco

Newly Enlightened
Hello all
This is my first post here so try to go easy if this is a stupid question. I searched around and could only find single CR2 Mini Mags.

I have been lurking around here for a while reading up and trying to get an idea as to what I wanted to do for a first mod. This wasn't my first choice but the budget wont stretch that far and its about time I started messing around and breaking things. (I guess everyone burns things out when they first start)

Anyway back to the point.... I found this
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/101988
and thought it looked like nice cheap fun first mod. but it got me thinking. Is there any reason that I couldn't get 6V out of 2X CR2 batteries and get a pretty decent light out of it. seemed worth asking. I'm only planning on cutting it down at first not using the 20m reflector.

I have no idea if the standard bulb will take 6V but I assume not. So I wanted to ask what people though about LED replacements. and if I would be best to swap out the bulb for a 3mm or 5mm LED and overcook it slightly? or would I be better off with one of the 3LED drop in kits?

I hope this hasn't been asked before and im not wasting peoples time. I know theres loads on LED mods but I couldn't find anything specifically on V6 mini mags.

All the best

John

PS I have noticed a lot of people replace the "a" in Mag with "*" or "@". any reason for this?

JackNco

Newly Enlightened
OK bit more research has lead me to the SSC P4 (I forgot about that one some how) so if that can handle 6V I think thats the plan along with a cap switch so I can use less power when i don't need it.

John