Help me with a pocket thrower

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a small light (about the size of a Minimag) with really good throw. I was looking at the streamlight strion because it is the size I am looking for and its seems to have decent throw for finding my kids or dog that wandered off in the field in my backyard.

Is there anything else out there that I should be looking at. The size of the light is most important to me I do not want it any longer than 6 inches long and 1.5 inches high. I also do not want to spend more than $90.

Thanks

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight T20 Q5 WC. Under $60 at Battery Junction. Quite the little flame thrower. Easily pocket sized. Probably the best of the easily pocketable throwers in terms of build quality, beam and ease of use.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Guys,

But how do I know which ones will be able to spot my dog 600 feet away or not.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I'd have to ask how you know that your dog is ~600' away.
There are a few lights that will likely do the job you want. The first thing that came to mind was the Olight mentioned above.
Another one to mention would be the Dereelight CL1H which can be purchased from the Manufacturer's section of the marketplace. It might be slightly larger but it will throw well.
There are slightly larger "super-thrower" lights that will definitely work, but they're more expensive. The least expensive woulld be the Regal Light... look for a review in the reviews section.

Spence

Enlightened
You really should consider a SureFire 6P or 9P. Neither is too large, good performers, reasonably priced, easily customized and will last your lifetime.
Personally, my favorite is the SF L1, with good throw, two levels, 1 X CR123, pocket sized and a CPF favorite. It's $135, but the best money I've ever spent.
Spence
:poke::welcome::wave::thumbsup:

Spence

Enlightened
You really should consider a SureFire 6P or 9P. Neither is too large, good performers, reasonably priced, easily customized and will last your lifetime.
Personally, my favorite is the SF L1, with good throw, two levels, 1 X CR123, pocket sized and a CPF favorite. It's $135, but the best money I've ever spent.
Spence
:poke::welcome::wave::thumbsup:

trapn1

Newly Enlightened
I vote for the Olight T20. I bought the SE version and its my EDC light I carry it in the holster and its very unobtrusive and always with me. It is a great thrower. George

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stick a Glo-Toob on his collar! :naughty:

+1 on this idea. I have seen this work in undeveloped wilderness campsites and you can indeed spot your dog from 600 feet away.

One thing to keep in-mind though is to make sure to tie/attach the glow tube around the collar really well or else the hyper active dog's movements will loosen it and the glow tube will fall off the collar.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a few lights that will likely do the job you want.

One way is to get a dog collar with reflectors on it. That way, any decent flashlight will produce enough light to reflect off the reflectors and you can then spot your dog from 600 feet away.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another idea is to get either the Olight T20 Q5 or the P3D Q5, turn it on, then tie it to your dogs neck and let em lose.

I guarantee you will spot the moving dog from 600 feet away with the dancing light show.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another idea is to get either the Olight T20 Q5 or the P3D Q5, turn it on, then tie it to your dogs neck and let em lose.

I guarantee you will spot the moving dog from 600 feet away with the dancing light show.

That actually sounds like a lot of fun!

Spotting a dog at 600' is going to be tough for a pocket light. Off hand, I'd want an HID for that. Try the Olight though.

LedZep

Newly Enlightened
Can the Olight T20 really light up an object about 600 feet away?

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spotting a dog at 600' is going to be tough for a pocket light. Off hand, I'd want an HID for that. Try the Olight though.

I agree, thats why I ruled out surefires and was leaning towards a strion, but I would like to make sure it has the throw I need before shelling out the dough. Glo tubes would get rather expensive using them everynight so thats not an option.

would the olight be powerful enough for 600 feet spotting?

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, thats why I ruled out surefires and was leaning towards a strion, but I would like to make sure it has the throw I need before shelling out the dough. Glo tubes would get rather expensive using them everynight so thats not an option.

would the olight be powerful enough for 600 feet spotting?

Depends on what color the dog is! :) I doubt it - that's a very long reach for a pocket light. Heck, that's a long reach for a flamethrower like a Tiablo A9. But maybe. Definitely put a reflective collar on the dog. That will help a lot. If the dog is out at night he should have a good collar on him anyway.

There are also LED lit collars that take coin cells, and Pelican sells little locator blinkers.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello LedZep,

Light falls off with the square of distance. 600 feet is about 183 meters. To find a light that is able to illuminate an object at that distance with 1 lux of light you need to find one capable of producing 33489 lux at 1 meter.

This is in the neighborhood of what the TigerLight is capable of, and the Mag Charger is better focused at this distance, so it would light your dog up a little more. The various Mag85 lights should have no problems either.

Tom