HDS Systems        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me with a pocket thrower

Default Help me with a pocket thrower

I am looking for a small light (about the size of a Minimag) with really good throw. I was looking at the streamlight strion because it is the size I am looking for and its seems to have decent throw for finding my kids or dog that wandered off in the field in my backyard.

Is there anything else out there that I should be looking at. The size of the light is most important to me I do not want it any longer than 6 inches long and 1.5 inches high. I also do not want to spend more than $90.

Thanks

"Overkill Never Fails" it's that simple...

Default Re: Help me with a pocket thrower

Olight T20 Q5 WC. Under $60 at Battery Junction. Quite the little flame thrower. Easily pocket sized. Probably the best of the easily pocketable throwers in terms of build quality, beam and ease of use.

NRA Life Member since 1979

Thanks Guys,

But how do I know which ones will be able to spot my dog 600 feet away or not.

I guess I'd have to ask how you know that your dog is ~600' away.
    There are a few lights that will likely do the job you want. The first thing that came to mind was the Olight mentioned above.
    Another one to mention would be the Dereelight CL1H which can be purchased from the Manufacturer's section of the marketplace. It might be slightly larger but it will throw well.
    There are slightly larger "super-thrower" lights that will definitely work, but they're more expensive. The least expensive woulld be the Regal Light... look for a review in the reviews section.
    1) Neutral white, it's the new black. Heck, it's not even "new" anymore.
    2) User Interface... KISS.
    3) Proprietary cells and battery packs - Just say NO!

Flashaholic

You really should consider a SureFire 6P or 9P. Neither is too large, good performers, reasonably priced, easily customized and will last your lifetime.
    Personally, my favorite is the SF L1, with good throw, two levels, 1 X CR123, pocket sized and a CPF favorite. It's $135, but the best money I've ever spent.
    Spence

Quote Originally Posted by dd61999 View Post
    Thanks Guys,

But how do I know which ones will be able to spot my dog 600 feet away or not.
    Stick a Glo-Toob on his collar!

Flashaholic

You really should consider a SureFire 6P or 9P. Neither is too large, good performers, reasonably priced, easily customized and will last your lifetime.
    Personally, my favorite is the SF L1, with good throw, two levels, 1 X CR123, pocket sized and a CPF favorite. It's $135, but the best money I've ever spent.
    Spence

Enlightened

I vote for the Olight T20. I bought the SE version and its my EDC light I carry it in the holster and its very unobtrusive and always with me. It is a great thrower. George

Flashaholic*

+1 on the P3D Q5
    EZCR2;D10;6PL;FENIX T1,P3D,P2D,L2D,L1D,L0D,LD10;PTApex;ZebraL H30;RR K2 3AA hlight;RR Nightfire 2C;Xponent 1xCR2 hlight;MyoXP;Xponent 4AA hlight;6AA & 9AA M*g Hotwire;2D MagLED Lux;4D MagLED NiteIze;3D MagLED Rebel

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by kato337 View Post
    +1 on this idea. I have seen this work in undeveloped wilderness campsites and you can indeed spot your dog from 600 feet away.

One thing to keep in-mind though is to make sure to tie/attach the glow tube around the collar really well or else the hyper active dog's movements will loosen it and the glow tube will fall off the collar.
    EZCR2;D10;6PL;FENIX T1,P3D,P2D,L2D,L1D,L0D,LD10;PTApex;ZebraL H30;RR K2 3AA hlight;RR Nightfire 2C;Xponent 1xCR2 hlight;MyoXP;Xponent 4AA hlight;6AA & 9AA M*g Hotwire;2D MagLED Lux;4D MagLED NiteIze;3D MagLED Rebel

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhoton View Post
    There are a few lights that will likely do the job you want.
    One way is to get a dog collar with reflectors on it. That way, any decent flashlight will produce enough light to reflect off the reflectors and you can then spot your dog from 600 feet away.

Flashaholic*

Another idea is to get either the Olight T20 Q5 or the P3D Q5, turn it on, then tie it to your dogs neck and let em lose.

I guarantee you will spot the moving dog from 600 feet away with the dancing light show.

Quote Originally Posted by ltiu View Post
    Another idea is to get either the Olight T20 Q5 or the P3D Q5, turn it on, then tie it to your dogs neck and let em lose.

I guarantee you will spot the moving dog from 600 feet away with the dancing light show.
    That actually sounds like a lot of fun!

Spotting a dog at 600' is going to be tough for a pocket light. Off hand, I'd want an HID for that. Try the Olight though.

Can the Olight T20 really light up an object about 600 feet away?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post

Spotting a dog at 600' is going to be tough for a pocket light. Off hand, I'd want an HID for that. Try the Olight though.
    I agree, thats why I ruled out surefires and was leaning towards a strion, but I would like to make sure it has the throw I need before shelling out the dough. Glo tubes would get rather expensive using them everynight so thats not an option.

would the olight be powerful enough for 600 feet spotting?

I agree, thats why I ruled out surefires and was leaning towards a strion, but I would like to make sure it has the throw I need before shelling out the dough. Glo tubes would get rather expensive using them everynight so thats not an option.

Depends on what color the dog is! I doubt it - that's a very long reach for a pocket light. Heck, that's a long reach for a flamethrower like a Tiablo A9. But maybe. Definitely put a reflective collar on the dog. That will help a lot. If the dog is out at night he should have a good collar on him anyway.

There are also LED lit collars that take coin cells, and Pelican sells little locator blinkers.

Flashaholic*

Yes, if the Olight is on the dog! You can see the light coming from the Olight from that far away.

Quote Originally Posted by kato337 View Post
    One of the folks I work with uses Fauxtons for just this purpose on her Jack Russell that seems to go from 0-200mph in about 0.000001 seconds.

Silver Moderator

Hello LedZep,

Light falls off with the square of distance. 600 feet is about 183 meters. To find a light that is able to illuminate an object at that distance with 1 lux of light you need to find one capable of producing 33489 lux at 1 meter.

This is in the neighborhood of what the TigerLight is capable of, and the Mag Charger is better focused at this distance, so it would light your dog up a little more. The various Mag85 lights should have no problems either.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Not exactly pocket though!

Well, if you have big pockets perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    Hello LedZep,

Light falls off with the square of distance. 600 feet is about 183 meters. To find a light that is able to illuminate an object at that distance with 1 lux of light you need to find one capable of producing 33489 lux at 1 meter.

This is in the neighborhood of what the TigerLight is capable of, and the Mag Charger is better focused at this distance, so it would light your dog up a little more. The various Mag85 lights should have no problems either.

Tom
    Who came to the conclusion that light from sources with reflectors diminishes at a different rate than unreflected light?

I remember a thread where lux measurements were taken at different distances and the brightness did not fall off as it should have according to the inverse square law. The falloff signified that the light behaved as though it was coming from a source farther away than it actually was. This makes sense because if you had a perfect parabolic reflection system, with a perfect reflector and a perfect point source of light, the apparent light source would be an infinite distance away.
    A little madness never hurt anybody.

Silver Moderator

Hello Luke,

In the near field, you may have to make some adjustments, but in the far field light follows the inverse square law.

If I remember the same thread, we were looking at an inch or two of difference. At 600 feet, I don't think an inch or two difference will amount to much.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Glo tubes would get rather expensive using them everynight so thats not an option.
    Actually, a Glo-Toob Lithium will take 40 hours to run through a $1.75 CR123 on the "100% constant-on" mode. That's less than 4.4 cents per hour. Use one of the flashing modes and the cost per hour drops even more. The most cost effective mode would be the "slow strobe" at less than 2 cents per hour.

(I'm just thinking about all those pretty colors dancing through the fields! )

Have you looked at BugOutGear's Q5 P60-sized drop-in? It has a deep reflector and throws almost as well as my Q5 MRV.

You'll have to upsize to something like a SF 6P, but hopefully that won't be too big for your needs.

Happy shopping!

Mpr Re: Help me with a pocket thrower

A 1D aspheri mag?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    Hello LedZep,

Tom
    From my experience, those calculations don't seem to agree with what I've seen. A DBS with around 25,000-30,000LUX at 1 meter looks like it lights things up at 600 feet with more than 1 LUX. If I can clearly see something being light up at 600 feet, with light pollution around, wouldn't that indicate there is more than 1LUX hitting the target?

Anyway, the Dereelight CL1H with a 18650 battery, smooth reflector, and one of the 2SD or 3SD Q5 WC would be able to light up your dog at 600 feet, and the larger DBS would have no problem at 600 feet.

I would expect a P3D Q5 and Otlight T20 to have trouble past 400 feet.

The Raidfire Spear would also have no problem at 600 feet.

The throwers, DBS, Tiablo, Raidfire, will light up objects at 800 feet, and farther, especially the DBS.
    Facebook: Wade Fulp - Follow me on Twitter! @flashlightguy and my main feed @WadeFulp Google+ PROFILE

My Olight is good, but no way will it work to 600 feet. You need something with a large reflector...that's why we call them throwers! DX has several lights if you need to keep the cost down. Here is just one :http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10452

You can also get a Power on Board HID for around $60 to $70 from E-bay. I have one...now we're talking distance!
    Striker VG, SL Scorpion Led, Huntlight FT01, Wolf Eyes 9 v Raider, D-Mini Lumapower, Drumlights, Surefire G2, Dereelight ,Ultrafire 500, Power on Board HID, Olight T 20 Q 5, Zebralight H-30, Nitecore EX 10, Eagletac T10C2, MTE P 7D, Icon Rogue 2

My opinion with regards to the 600 foot distance requirement is that practically all of the pocket lights mentioned are inadequate with the exception of the DBS, which I think exceeds the "pocket light" boundary because of its size. Honestly, if you're really having to locate your dog on a nightly basis at 200 yards away, you might want to consider giving up on pocket lights and get yourself a halogen spotlight or HID. Yes, a MRV, Diablo, or DBS will project light a long distance, but they have a very narrow cone of light and are poor for searching across wide areas. The best single LED thrower is still only going to throw about 225 lumens while a HID light will throw 1200-3500 lumens and are excellent for searching.

If it were me, I'd attack this problem three fold. I'd get a serious HID flashlight, I'd put a reflective or LED collar on the dog. I'd attach a small bell to it's collar so that you don't have to rely on sight alone. Hunting dog bells can be purchased at Cabela's and other outfitter stores.

Good Luck

Flashaholic*

+1 on the Lumapower D-Mini as a pocket light with great throw.The D-Mini has a larger/deeper reflector than most lights in its' size range providing better throw.600' feet is pretty far for a small light. If you really need to see that far out a larger but inexpensive option is a Mag 2C to 3xCR123 conversion with a Magnum Star xenon bulb(5 or 6 cell) or a TerraLUX TLE-6EX led conversion.
    Last edited by ZMZ67; 12-23-2007 at 10:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast