What's a good mod for an A2?

Spence

Enlightened
I got my new A2 and I like it, it really is a good looking light. However, those wimpy, stock LED's have gotta go. What's a good mod for the A2 that isn't too radical? What kind of $ outlay am I looking at? I've got a collection of lights but have never modded one before, so try to explain your suggestions to an amatuer, please.
Thanks a bunch.
Spence
thinking.gif
mpr.gif
shrug.gif
broke.gif

accr

Newly Enlightened
I have the same question as well, but I'm not exactly looking for higher output just something that allows me to use rechargable CR123s.

I took out the LED ring to see if I can maybe switch the LEDs to UV leds, but I'm not too confident with my soldering skills :rolleyes:.

Any other drop in mods?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Other than the ones listed, nope.

People have been using R123's in their A2's without ill effects. You'd be overdriving the LED's, but AFA we can tell, the LED's haven't been "cooked".
:shrug:

BSBG

Enlightened
I got my new A2 and I like it, it really is a good looking light. However, those wimpy, stock LED's have gotta go. What's a good mod for the A2 that isn't too radical?

What is your reason for replacing the LEDs? They are not intended to be super bright, but to provide low level light for up close tasks. The various versions range in brightness - white and green are pretty bright, red and yellow/green are fairly dim.

IMO, best mod for an A2 is a lanyard and spare batteries;)

Illum

Flashaholic
only three mods [not really mods, more like retrofited adaptations] exist for the A2 to date [that I know of, if :anyone: know any others, please tell me :thanks:]
  • a tailcap that enables tail stand function using an additional ring on the rubber boot
  • an LED transplant [theres been threads of transplant from stock "nichia" to THC3/SMJLEDs with success and dramatic increase in output and tint balance]
  • Independence from using MA02 LAs bu buying a fivemega strion socket for the A2 that allows the use of the streamlight strion lamp

Spence

Enlightened
Thanks for the comments. From my research, I couldn't tell if "Aviatrix" is still in production and sales by Atomic Chicken, does anyone know? I'd like to hear from anyone who had a mod done to their A2 and a general idea of cost $?
Spence
:broke::shrug::duh2:
mpr.gif

Illum

Flashaholic
the bird's been away for a bit as far as I know...the chicken farms probably closed for the season
member 9610, Last Activity: 12-07-2007 05:35 PM

either that or theres eggs he has to tend to....
:whistle:

Latest posts