Reflections on A2, G2, Fenix, Streamlight

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
Many months ago I bought my first good flashlights: Surefire A2 and G2, a Fenix L2D, a Streamlight ProPoly 4AA, and an Arc AAA. At the time, I posted, requesting input around the idea that I could get 4 good lights for the price of the A2. Since then, I've also bought a Fenix P2D, and L2T 2.0. I've used all the lights extensively: camping, lighting addresses from the car, around the house, and walking around the neighborhood.

NOTE: I want to stress that my conclusions are for my use only, no aspersions whatsoever on other folks' opinions, needs, etc. (I've noticed a tendency to get into camps here that I want to avoid).

1) The A2 is a great all around light. The combo of flood, and spot, incan and LED is unbeatable. Using it outdoors, the LED is like a baseline light level that I don't even notice it seems so natural. When I get that "I need a flashlight" feeling, I punch the incan and light things up for real. Much different to just hit the button than to have to twist a bezel like on the L2T. Some folks on here told me to hang onto the light, that it would grow on me, and damn you were right! I've dropped it hard onto concrete a number of times (by accident), bulb going strong. I only wish I could get more runtime out of it when using on incan.

2) The Surefire A2 and G2 beam patterns are much more useful to me than the Fenix. The Surefires have wider hotspots, and more spill, while keeping throw. So they light more area, and I have better peripheral vision. The Fenix's have a very defined line between light and dark that I find distracting. The L2T's hotspot is also very narrow, so even though there's a broader area lit, it's too dim to be useful. Even though the G2 admittedly dims very quickly, it's beam pattern and price make it a good utility light.

3) I really can ID outdoor scenes and targets much better with an incan light. I have a much harder time finding contrast and distinguishing features at a distance with the LED lights. Indoors it's all good.

3) I'm gonna get rid of my Fenix's, stick with Surefires, the ProPoly, and the Arc. What I'm left with with the Fenix's is a narrower beam than I want, not so great UI, and less usefulness outdoors. Great runtime and good price don't make up for it in my case. So I'll keep some combo of ProPoly, G2, and Princeton Tec Quad in the car, A2 at home and for camping, Arc AAA for backpacking. Allthough I may hang onto L2T cuz cheap batteries, and goes in pocket easier... ;-)

4) I took the Arc AAA as an emergency light on an ultralight backpacking trip in the Trinity Alps this summer. Dad and I decided to hike out in one day/night, 17 miles. Ended up hiking 4.5 hours in the dark, only the Arc AAA to light our way down the trail, did a great job. Although it didn't pick out the rattler on the side of the trail that triggered a 100-yard dash, it did light the way for the subsequent sprint down the trail.

Anyway, lots of you gave me great and thoughtful input when I was just getting into this, I hope this is of interest and/or useful to other folks making decisions down the road.

Regards!

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
good input! I love how versatile the A2 is, and hope to snag an Arc soon! Thx for the read:twothumbs

Mayo

Brozneo

Enlightened
I have the same opinion as you! LEDs are alright outdoors but I use high powered incans at the moment for outdoor work - I haven't experienced much with high powered multiple LEDs (400 lumens plus) plus have 4 plus on order / on the way and I can't wait to play / compare with them!

Numbers

Enlightened
This sounds like a natural progression to me. Particularly because it is driven by real world usage. I think for many getting over the sticker shock and moving toward higher quality is quite common.

Illum

Flashaholic
as much as I love both, I doubt that fenix can or will progress into incandescent :sigh:
and as for color rendition, thats just the way LEDs are, surefire might not be able to do anything about improving it either :)

Valolammas

Enlightened
1) The A2 is a great all around light. The combo of flood, and spot, incan and LED is unbeatable. Using it outdoors, the LED is like a baseline light level that I don't even notice it seems so natural. When I get that "I need a flashlight" feeling, I punch the incan and light things up for real. Much different to just hit the button than to have to twist a bezel like on the L2T. Some folks on here told me to hang onto the light, that it would grow on me, and damn you were right! I've dropped it hard onto concrete a number of times (by accident), bulb going strong. I only wish I could get more runtime out of it when using on incan.

This has been exactly my experience, too. I just got a SF L1 and while it is a very nice light, too, it actually made me appreciate the A2 even more. The L1 has low and high modes, but they are exactly the same beam, just brighter and dimmer. Not so with the A2! I know it has been said before, but that combo of wide LED low beam and reasonably far reaching incan high is unbeatable for outdoors.

Which brings me to another point in favor of the A2. A couple of days ago, we didn't have snow on the ground, and I took the L1 when I was taking our dog for a night walk. It worked great and I was really pleased with it. However, it snowed yesterday and last night I again took it for dog-walking. But I'd forgotten how abysmal LEDs are in the snow. I literally had to put my hand in front of the L1 to check that it was actually on. And it was on high! I don't know what it is about snow that just eats up LED light, but I know that it doesn't happen with an incan. So no more walks for the L1, the A2 is back on duty.

Yep, the A2 is a great light. Not at first, but it grows on you... :)

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review and glad you like your A2, but.....you're getting rid of the P2D ? to me its one of the best one cell LED's out there!!

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
The A2 is a truly great light, I EDC one daily, and don't ever see that changing, in it's stock form, it's incredibly useful and versatile, however, with Atomic Chicken's Aviatrix ring it becomes almost perfect, I was lucky enough to get a first production run Aviatrix and can't see running my A2 without one

I really hope the Ol' Bird gets his act back together and catches up on his backorders, I'd hate to see the 'Trix as a one-off product

the only room for improvement I could see in the A2 would be the ability to safely use rechargables without modding the light, and a way to increase incan burntime, I'm fine with the output on both LED and Incan, more runtime would be nice though

the modularity and versatility of the G and P series lights is also great, and gotta love that flawless beam that the P series lamp assemblies produce, I have a G2 with the SF rechargable kit, a G3 with the Mighty P91 (the '91 is an incredibly awesome LA), and there's no end of tailcaps, turboheads, and 3rd party rechargable cell-freindly bodies available, it's a great system, only the Executive series rivals it for sheer modularity

Be careful though, as you're probably already aware by now, SureFires are *addictive*, the G2 and 6P are SF's "Gateway" lights, but since you've joined the ranks of the A2 club, it's already too late, you've been infected, and the only hope for you is to buy more lights ;)

carrot

Flashaholic
When incandescent bulb technology progresses (there's still a few things that progress can be made on) I would like to see someone offer new bulbs for the A2. But until then, I am still very happy with mine. I don't EDC it, but it's the first light I grab when I go exploring the outdoors.