A better Mag reflector?

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
I was just wondering if anyone knows of a better reflector for the D cell LED Maglite, I'm really not impressed with the consistency of the beam that the factory smooth reflector produces, the same poor beam pattern as the old incandescent Mag.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fivemega makes Medium OP (and smooth) aluminum reflectors. Usually used for hotwire mods but it will likely smooth out a MagLED too. Just at the cost of some throw.
That's about all I can think of.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little krylon clear will do it for you.
Stipple the reflector as much as you like.
There is a slight loss of output but the beam is much smoother. There were lots of OP finished reflectors in aluminum sold with and without the cam sold by several CPF'rs.
Do a search.
Yaesumofo

wmirag

Enlightened
When I converted my 3D Mag to their Mag LED, I was surprised at how nice the beam could focus - into a beautiful white circle that even SureFire would be proud of. It is quite bright with good throw too.

I'm sorry yours is not up to par.

W.

Last edited:

SEMIJim

Enlightened
You might consider this: M*g SMO/MOP Cam/Camless Aluminum Reflector $14.99 Shipped each. About half the price of Fivemega's reflectors.

It would be interesting to hear from somebody who's purchase each of them, both Fivemega's and Kaidomain's, on their relative quality. I noted that one of KD's customers had a problem with the MOP finish flaking off or something. While KD was quick to resolve the problem, with a replacement, still: That would be something of a concern to me.

Jim

j3bnl

Enlightened
You might consider this: M*g SMO/MOP Cam/Camless Aluminum Reflector $14.99 Shipped each. About half the price of Fivemega's reflectors.

It would be interesting to hear from somebody who's purchase each of them, both Fivemega's and Kaidomain's, on their relative quality. I noted that one of KD's customers had a problem with the MOP finish flaking off or something. While KD was quick to resolve the problem, with a replacement, still: That would be something of a concern to me.

Jim

Jim I have both and I would gladly pay the extra for the Fivemega one. Build quality,fit and finish there is no comparison. If your budget is real tight go with the KAI its alright for the $$ but the Fivemega is sheer brilliance.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

I upgraded a Mag C to LED and was unhappy with the beam quality. Buying Kai's new creation, I found that the opening at the bottom is meant to enhance incan bulbs, by making it smaller than OEM, to small for the TLE-6EXB I wanted to use. So I grabbed a step drill bit and enlarged the bottom hole to 5/8's of an inch, perfect for the TLE-6EXB's diameter.

Result: excellent beam quality from an LED, in a full size Mag :)