Whats a good Fenix AAA torch

BillG

Newly Enlightened
i got the lop SE a few weeks ago in fenixstore.com clearance aisle. use CLEARANCE25 for the discount

came to ~$25.

very nice with 3 levels and a white tint.

sabre7

Enlightened
Runtime: E0

Brightness: L0D Q4. Just got the Q4, very nice. It is a light/med maroon color, not bright red, orange, or pink. Christmas logos? They are very small- closeup photos exaggerate how noticeable they are- snowflakes look more like stars, hard to tell what bow and bells are- they are engraved with very thin lines. You have to look really, really close (1 ft. or less from face) to even see what logos are anyway. I like the color- no problem identifying it if it "grows legs" easier to find if misplaced.

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
Runtime: E0

Brightness: L0D Q4. Just got the Q4, very nice. It is a light/med maroon color, not bright red, orange, or pink. Christmas logos? They are very small- closeup photos exaggerate how noticeable they are- snowflakes look more like stars, hard to tell what bow and bells are- they are engraved with very thin lines. You have to look really, really close (1 ft. or less from face) to even see what logos are anyway. I like the color- no problem identifying it if it "grows legs" easier to find if misplaced.

maroon? more evidence that fenix may be struggling to keep up with their new in-house HA or may have outsource to another facility as stated in another thread. most people have reported theirs as being red-orange in color...

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LOD CE is a very nice light.Multiple modes allow you to get some runtime out of the AAA but also very bright(for its size) when you need it.The LOD Rebel is probably nice as well but I do not have one.

If you are interested in some of the earlier Fenix AAA lights you may want to act soon as I believe they are being discontinued(EO,E1).

sabre7

Enlightened
maroon? more evidence that fenix may be struggling to keep up with their new in-house HA or may have outsource to another facility as stated in another thread. most people have reported theirs as being red-orange in color...

No hint of orange in the color, definitely maroon/burgundy. Sounds strange, but it is very close to the color of a 34.5 oz plastic Folgers Coffeehouse Series coffee container. Almost looks like red was applied over the natural color finish. Could that be possible? Very smooth and well done though.

dulridge

Enlightened
Might be looking into also purchasing a nice small 1xAAA battery LED torch. Preferably I would like one that holds just one AAA battery.

Any suggestions ?

Depends what it is going to get used for. If as a generic keyring light, get an E0 while you can. Not a lot of light and a bluish beam, but runs for ever on an alkaline AAA - my battery might get replaced for its second birthday - or might not. I did use up an AAA before it was a year old due to new toy syndrome but the second one has been there for a bit under a year and it lives on the same keyring as my house keys so sees quite a lot of use.

Bearcat

Enlightened
Depends what it is going to get used for. If as a generic keyring light, get an E0 while you can. Not a lot of light and a bluish beam, but runs for ever on an alkaline AAA - my battery might get replaced for its second birthday - or might not. I did use up an AAA before it was a year old due to new toy syndrome but the second one has been there for a bit under a year and it lives on the same keyring as my house keys so sees quite a lot of use.

Hopefully, this is just a sales ploy to empty the shelves of all the EOs with the CS LEDs, before coming out with a new and better EO, by whatever name. The only really negative thing that ever heard about the EO is that it needed to be just a little brighter and whiter beam. Other than that, everything else I heard about the EO was great, especially the super long run-time.

I think that there is alot of interest in a EO with a brighter LED.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

I heard, almost directly from Fenix, that the red LOD-CE's were finished in their new finishing facility.

I have 3 of the red LOD-CE's, two are red, one is the red-orange color. Probably just different batches. (Two are going to be gifts)

I love my red LOD-CE Q4. The black tactical style lights get boring, happy to see some color, especially for a key chain light, to jazz things up.

dulridge

Enlightened
Hopefully, this is just a sales ploy to empty the shelves of all the EOs with the CS LEDs, before coming out with a new and better EO, by whatever name. The only really negative thing that ever heard about the EO is that it needed to be just a little brighter and whiter beam. Other than that, everything else I heard about the EO was great, especially the super long run-time.

I think that there is alot of interest in a EO with a brighter LED.

I hope so too! Like I said above - if anyone offers this mod, my E0 is already in the post...

I got my E0 for the princely price of $0.01, postage included - but would happily pay the price of a new one (and then some) for a DS LED in it.

dulridge

Enlightened
I love my red LOD-CE Q4. The black tactical style lights get boring, happy to see some color, especially for a key chain light, to jazz things up.

Agreed entirely! If it lives in your pocket, who cares what colour it is? It can be neon pink if that suits Fenix, won't make any difference to me for a keyring light. Given how the anodising wears after a year or so, the colour won't matter anyway.
IMG_0476.jpg

Last edited:

garence

Newly Enlightened
In the Fenix corner, you've got a number of choices: E0, L0P SE, L0D, L0D SE, and L0D Q4. The L0P SE, L0D, and L0D SE can be discounted another 25%. The L0D Q4 can be discounted 8%.

E0: $19.99, 5.5 lumens, single mode. No discount below $20. No sense in getting with L0P SE just $5 more.
L0P SE: ~$25, 30 max lumens, 3 power levels.
L0D: ~$30, 30 max lumens, 3 power levels plus strobe and SOS.
L0D SE: same as L0D, except with seasonal engravings.
L0D Q4: ~$43, 75 max lumens, 3 power levels, strobe, sos, and HA-III anodizing.

I think the L0D Q4 is the best value. They only come in red (or copper, depending on your luck), which may be a no-deal for someone set on black.

If you want to save $$ and don't mind a little quality risk, you can venture over to KaiDomain or DealExtreme, but there's not much selection in the AAA battery models.

You can also go for a Maglite Solitaire and then get an LED drop-in for it, for a grand total of less than $20. Or a Gerber UI (Ultra Infinity). But yeah, I'd say you can't go wrong with a Fenix. :)

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
with the E0 there aparently have been some issues with the LED crushing come part of the circuit and therefore rendering the light useless, but i only read that after sending paypal...:S

Crenhaw

Bearcat

Enlightened
with the E0 there aparently have been some issues with the LED crushing come part of the circuit and therefore rendering the light useless, but i only read that after sending paypal...:S

Crenhaw

Not to worry, that problem was only on the older EOs and has been corrected, the newer ones don't have that problem.:)

Albinoni

Banned
Whats the difference between the Fenix LOD and LOP ? To me they quite alike.

I've got my heart set on either a LOD or E0 in which I'm presuming the LOD is more powerful.

Wow the cost of the Fenix here in Australia is surely not cheap, interesting to know if it works out cheaper buying online through their Fenix Store.

http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au/listProduct/LIGHTING/OTHER+FLASHLIGHTS

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
In the Fenix corner, you've got a number of choices: E0, L0P SE, L0D, L0D SE, and L0D Q4.

E0: ~$24, 5.5 lumens, single mode. No free shipping, so it's virtually priced the same as a L0P SE--I'd ignore it.
L0P SE: ~$25, 30 max lumens, 3 power levels.
L0D: ~$30, 30 max lumens, 3 power levels plus strobe and SOS.
L0D SE: same as L0D, except with seasonal engravings.
L0D Q4: ~$43, 75 max lumens, 3 power levels, strobe, sos, and HA-III anodizing.

I think the L0D Q4 is the best value. They only come in red (or copper, depending on your luck), which may be a no-deal for someone set on black.

Where are you getting some of your numbers? The prices from fenix-store are a bit lower than that, and all orders have free shipping.

Crenhaw

Only the first generation had issues with unpotted heads. The current ones have potted heads, and I have yet to hear of the same issue with them.

I've got my heart set on either a LOD or E0 in which I'm presuming the LOD is more powerful.

Wow the cost of the Fenix here in Australia is surely not cheap, interesting to know if it works out cheaper buying online through their Fenix Store.

Fenix-store is probably your best bet. With CPF's discount, they almost always have the lowest prices with free worlwide shipping. Info for the differences between the LOP, LOD, and LOD Q4 are on their site.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=48&products_id=30
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_49&products_id=191
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_52&products_id=370

Bearcat

Enlightened

Crap, those prices are high in Australia. You might want to order from here and get free shiping.:twothumbs

https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_69_49

garence

Newly Enlightened
Where are you getting some of your numbers? The prices from fenix-store are a bit lower than that, and all orders have free shipping.
Actually, I'm off on the E0. I thought shipping was free only if you buy at least $20 of merchandise, but I got it a little mixed up--the CPF8 discount only applies with a purchase of $20 or more. So the E0 is $19.99. The L0D Q4 is not on clearance, so an 8% discount applies. The others are 25% off.

Last edited:

Albinoni

Banned
Just to clarify any torch I buy off Fenix Store I will get free shipping worldwide and not just US or Canada.

Also the currency listed on the website I'm assuming is in US $?

They've got some nice ones that I like one or two but their discontinued.