Will Nichia DS take kindly to an aspheric lens?

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
I have wanted to design and create a light for a long time. Could you guys see a 1xAAA nichia powered light with an aspheric lens being possible? I would want it to be very small. For some reason I've taken a real liking to 1xAAA lights

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I dont see why not. So long as you pick a lens and tune the optics for a beam pattern that suits you. It won't have the lumen output of some of the brighter LEDs. If you can focus the output the way you like, lumen output may be less of a priority. (IE- capture the lumens it DOES have and concentrate it where you want). If run-time is one of your priorities it will be hard to beat in that regard.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Precisely. My goal is a single Nichia DS powered by an alkaline AAA battery. Instead of having more than one mode, I would prefer the ability to focus the beam to flood or sharp focused beam. I am not going for the ultimate lumens, I am going for a stellar run-time and useable every day light in a well-manufactured pocketable light for under $50.00. If anybody would be interested in performing some kind of R&D and/or supplying me with any information, tips or help I would appreciate it. I should get good at CAD!