2AA LED Thrower?

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone make a LED thrower that takes 2 AAs? It seems that most of the throwers like the Tiablo A9, or the Deerelight DBS are all CR123 powered.

I have 2 Fenix L2D's, but I'm looking for something with a throw more on par with my 4D Mag LED. Is there anything out there? :thinking:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Did it occur to you that I might have searched before asking. There doesn't seem to be any consensus on this one. Your google search doesn't lead to anything useful.

Then you must not have read ANY of the results. First few pages have literally dozens of threads dealing with throwers with "normal" batteries, including this exact same topic currently on the SAME PAGE as your thread in this subforum... :poke:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/181611
and
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182082
with AA to C adapters

And there is a Consensus. You can't really get a "good" thrower on AA's because the reflector size is too small.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then you must not have read ANY of the results. First few pages have literally dozens of threads dealing with throwers with "normal" batteries, including this exact same topic currently on the SAME PAGE as your thread in this subforum... :poke:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/181611
and
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182082
with AA to C adapters

And there is a Consensus. You can't really get a "good" thrower on AA's because the reflector size is too small.
Yes I read the threads. They don't answer the question (as you point out). They only say there aren't really any.

Oddly the size of the batteries hasn't stopped people from making CR123A throwers with larger reflectors. :sigh:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yes I read the threads. They don't answer the question (as you point out). They only say there aren't really any.

Oddly the size of the batteries hasn't stopped people from making CR123A throwers with larger reflectors. :sigh:

CR123's are larger, and that little bit of difference makes for a whole lot of throw. But, you need mega output to even come close to matching the throw of a simple MagLED with smaller cells. That's how the MagLED can appear to keep up with much brighter lights with smaller reflectors.

Which do you want, throw with rechargeable AA's for economy, or throw in a small package?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
CR123's are larger, and that little bit of difference makes for a whole lot of throw. But, you need mega output to even come close to matching the throw of a simple MagLED with smaller cells. That's how the MagLED can appear to keep up with much brighter lights with smaller reflectors.

Which do you want, throw with rechargeable AA's for economy, or throw in a small package?

I think the point is that the reflector size of a light such as the Dereelight is not determined by the diameter of the cells.

BigD64

Enlightened
How about a Lumapower M3 with a turbo head. It's a multi format light that can be run on 2 cr123's, 2 AA's or a single AA. With the turbo head it's not a bad thrower.

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
Um, P3D is 2xCR123.

And the T1 is the only Fenix thrower.

I knew that :grin2:

Guess I've wrapped too many presents tonight. Speaking of 2AA lights I did pick up some Disney Princess lights for my daughters last night. Nice, but I'm not sure about the line I had to wait in...

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lumapower is the only one I know of at the moment. There aren't really that many 2xAA lights available which makes me sad. MagLEDs aren't on my recommendation list as they don't throw that much. All of the lither AA light options are just single AA lights. There are a lot of them, but most really don't throw. I've been hoping Olight would come out with one as they have a pretty tight throw portion of the beam but Ihve had no joy yet.

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level

+1 for this light.
I own one, and throw is almost on par with my DeCree. Less light over all, but very good throw. The (OP) reflector is substantially larger than the Fenix style lights, and very deep. A bit long (just over six inch), and the inevitable reverse clicky. And it makes a funny pocket rocket with an CR2.

Kees

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see anything in any of my posts saying I wanted a small package like a Fenix L2D. I just said I wanted a thrower that runs on 2AAs. :wave:

Latest posts