Energizer enters the high power LED fray

Friar

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a nice "Energizer LED" flashlight at Walmart yesterday. The package says 85 lumens 3 watt LED. RECHARGABLE! It comes with a 1000mah 3.6v battery pack, DC car charger, AC wall wart charger, A green lens cap (say's its good for "pipe inspections"?!?!!? why would a green lens improve pipe vision??whatever..) a red lenscap, and has a nice lanyard. The barrel is O-ringed front and rear and is nicely machined. High quality construction overall.

The battery pack is labled as 1/2 AA, this could be a drawback as I've never heard of "1/2 AA" and am worried that there are no replacements available.

This light is only slightly less bright than the Lowes 150 lumen CREE powered unit discussed on the other thread here, but is half the size. I havent tested the runtime on the battery pack yet, but overall I am extremely pleased with this light. I paid $24.98 for it.

phil000

Newly Enlightened
how big is this thing?

also, 1/2 AA = RCR2 (IIRC)

thanks for sharing :)
phil

Marduke

Flashaholic
Sounds like the Energizer pack that Target sells. Hopefully they will start putting in more Cree's like their two-pack 80 lumen they sell at SamsClub

z96Cobra

Enlightened
I bought it a few months back, and its an OK light, IMO. The red lens cover is more orange to my eyes though. The head is also "focusable" (a little bit anyway). There are some other posts on it around here somewhere.

Roger

Monocrom

Flashaholic
how big is this thing?

phil

A bit shorter than an Inova T4. (I bought that light a few months ago, but never had a chance to use it).

It's a nice looking rechargeable, but the barrel-mounted switch is tiny.

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
I saw this one at my local Walmart tonight, and was wondering about it, but it was like $46. Was it on sale for 24.98?

lumenal

Enlightened
I bought this same light except in the Lux I version when they were clearanced at Target for $9.99.

Pretty solid light, course durable threads, and nice to be able to just plug it in to the wall when it dims.

It uses a 3 cell battery pack consisting of three 1000 mAh 1/2 A NiMH cells, not 1/2 AA cells.

Although it may not be by much, the quite uncommon A cells are larger than AA cells.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this light available in Canada? Why do yankees have all the good stuff south of the border?

stephan2148

Newly Enlightened
I am pretty sure this is the same as the old 1 Watt that I have, that I removed the resistor inside. It is now called 3W here with some circuit or LED modifications. IT is built very well, and hey it has a side click switch! Who would have thought a switch on a flashlight. The threads are for focusing the light and not turning on the thing. I am hating those hokey twisty things.
This is quite a nice durable light, still at the top of my list for quality of all the lights I have so far. Nitecore on the way though, for which I want to see their twist *switch*.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Power consumption really has little to do with how bright a LED really is. A "puny" 1watt LED Cree, Seoul, or Rebel from today will blow away the 3watts from yesteryear.

I meant that 1watt inside the Energizer is a Luxeon 1watt and that is puny.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Energizer also made a 3watt Lux version of the same light.

Sorry, I have been through a few LED lights. Anything with a "watt" attached to the LED name is puny.

I got exposed to Crees and Rebels which are not available in stores and from then on any store bought LEDs with the word watt on them are puny.

Latest posts