Would this work with a SureFire 3P as a conversion?

flash_bang

Enlightened
uhm… I think so, yes. Make sure you have the right lamp and battery though…

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I would say no, unless you have a really low vf led in your P60 module, and your module is pulling under 400mA's to the led, and 200mA's would be better. The current draw to sustain a high powered led would drop the little CR123 well below 3 volts quickly, and you have to take into account the efficiency of the regulator circuit, or lack of efficiency, so you may need close to 3 volts to even turn the light on in regulation, so runtime in regulation might be a matter of minutes, if at all. You should be considering a LiIon to handle the needed voltage and current.

Bill

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I wouldn't have a problem doing an RCR123a. I'm about ready to buy some for use with my E1L using the most recent gen of the KL1 head, which should handle the slighly higher voltage coming out of RCR123's.

The funny thing is that I have considered selling it, but I think it's actually slightly cheaper to just throw a different reflector LED assembly in it and extend it's usefulness. Besides, it's cheaper to do the RCR123a and the 15 dollar module than to get another E1L.

Thanks! I think I'm on the road to making this 3P last a bit longer.

-Steve

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Good choice Steve. Keeping the 3P is wise too. You can sell it but they aren't made anymore and it is nice to have a piece of history that is functional.

Bill

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny you guys are talking about this. I have been discussing this idea all evening with Mr. Malkoff.
He seems to think it is quite doable.
Please express interest to him maybe we can have a batch made for our precious little 3P's. I happen to have 2 brand new in their boxes waiting for just such a mod. Can't wait.
Yaesumofo

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Funny you guys are talking about this. I have been discussing this idea all evening with Mr. Malkoff.
Please express interest to him maybe we can have a batch made for our precious little 3P's. I happen to have 2 brand new in their boxes waiting for just such a mod. Can't wait.
Yaesumofo

Doable with a CR123, or RCR123 3.6-4.2? If the circuit was something like a BB, or nexgen, a CR123 would be ok. A nice boost current regulated circuit with the good leds out now and it could run at 350mA's to led and put out some good light. Somehow make that circuit with a hi, low option and it would really be nice. The higher the efficiency of the led and circuit, the better.

Bill

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Wow. You have two NIB? That's cool.

As for doing it - I hope it does get done. I'm personally not looking for the same performance as the other single primary lamps - if a mod equals the same lumen output (usable, not bulb measurement) as the original R60 LA, then I would be happy.

I did, on a whim, toss in a SureFire P60L assembly into the 3P. It worked. I'm thinking that throwing in a P60 and a RCR123A is a good start, but a Malkoff modded one would be worth it.

-Steve

Yaesumofo

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Hence the thought of using one of those 5 mode units that I posted the link to.

Doable with a CR123, or RCR123 3.6-4.2? If the circuit was something like a BB, or nexgen, a CR123 would be ok. A nice boost current regulated circuit with the good leds out now and it could run at 350mA's to led and put out some good light. Somehow make that circuit with a hi, low option and it would really be nice. The higher the efficiency of the led and circuit, the better.

Bill

LG&M

Enlightened
A drop-in for a 1 cell. That sounds like a good idea. Wish I thought of it.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried some different drop-ins for my 3P's and with a Li-ion they work well. The only problem I have run into is there are some variations in bodies and not all drop-ins fit very well. I would go with the higher quality ones myself, the cheapies worked but didn't fit right. Just tried a Q2 Malkoff in my 3P and it is amazingly bright and fits PERFECTLY. No gaps, no rattle, no spring and the beam is nice and throws VERY well. I'll have to see how long it will run but for now it's free lumens.

Last edited:

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Well, I wanted to prove SureFire wrong. They said that their own P60L conversion LA wouldn't work. It does.

But, it's not the best. It gives about the same amount of light that the original R30 LA does. I'm hoping that there's a drop in that gives a bit more light - something on the line of the older SF E1L.

-Steve

A drop-in for a 1 cell. That sounds like a good idea. Wish I thought of it.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You just got one Beastmaster! The X-Alpha 5 mode works good too but you'll have a gap behind the bezel, I filled it with a GID O-ring. Both are lots brighter than the R30 is.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I just put one of the P60L's back in to the 3P, since I just got in the mail some RCR123A's.

Guess what - it's decent enough with RCR123A's. So theoretically, a 2.7v drop in module will work.

Once the Christmas craziness is over, I'll do some beamshots between the P60L in a 3P using a RCR123A, and a final generation KL1 head with a E1L.

You just got one Beastmaster! The X-Alpha 5 mode works good too but you'll have a gap behind the bezel, I filled it with a GID O-ring. Both are lots brighter than the R30 is.

LG&M

Enlightened
I have been wanting a drop-in that would work well on on one CR123 for a wile. I was thinking Dereelight would make a one cell light but I haven't heard of one yet. If Malkoff makes one I am sure it will be quality. If it's not a problem I would like to see a photo of a Surefire 3P.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you guys read posts #11 and #13? I gave you your answers, both of these drop-ins work very well, much brighter than the stock lamp. Add a Z59 and wala, you have a new light.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I sure did, but ordering today doesn't mean I get it today. And I had the P60L sitting around. Once I get it, I'll test it - but who knows when it will get to my doorstep - the order hasn't even processed yet.

So - driving a P60L assembly with a RCR123A works. Therefore, doing one of the other 2.7V units will work far better.

I do admit that using the RCR123A with an LED unit of any sort gives far better performance than the original R30. It definitely gives you new life for those who have a 3P.

-Steve

Did you guys read posts #11 and #13? I gave you your answers, both of these drop-ins work very well, much brighter than the stock lamp. Add a Z59 and wala, you have a new light.