MiniMag 2AA Body ques

CharlieHo

Newly Enlightened
Earlier this week I noticed the MM in my truck was dead. This morning I was gonna change batteries and noticed one had leaked everywhere and got things jammed up.

No big deal I thought, I've been wanting to dabble a little bit in modding anyway :thumbsup:

As it turns out, I had to use a punch to drive out the bulb socket and first battery... Still no big deal I'm thinking

While cleaning things up, I noticed that roughly 1 13/16" from the top of the tube (head) there is a small (1/8") "tit" on the inside of the tube.

My question: Is that normal, or did I gouge out a piece of aluminum with the punch? Either way, I don't see a problem with removing it, but just thought I'd ask :)

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should be smooth all the way from top to bottom inside the MiniMag tube. I had the same thing happen earlier this year, and since it was on an older somewhat rare purple color MiniMag, I didn't just throw it away and buy another for $8 like I woud have a black or other readily available color MM. I ended up using a small cylinder hone on the end of a drill that I had gotten earlier at an autoparts store for $5-10. There was a buildup of batery acid and corrosion inside the tube from the leaking battery, but a few minutes with the cylinder hone tool and it was fine again.

CharlieHo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Neon!

I just happen to have a small cylinder hone in my toolbox so I'll finish cleaning up the tube with that.

My MM is nothing special, but it has been around a while, and I kinda like the fact that it has "character" ;)

One of my 3D Mags is all beat up, but whenever I get around to modding a 3D, you can bet it'll be the old beat-up one full of dings, gouges, and scratches. It aught to be even more of a "surpriser" in that condition once mods are done to it :devil:

maglitesales.com

Newly Enlightened
It also wouldn't hurt to clean out the inside of your minimag with a baking soda and water solution to neutralize any leftover battery acid. Just use clean tapwater to rinse it out when you're done.

I'M DK

Newly Enlightened
My guess is alkaline batteries.
If so wash out with vinegar (acid) to neutralize the alkaline (base) electrolyte that leaked from the cell in question.

DK