Looking for a 1x 18650 light

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
Hi and merry christmas!

I am looking for an inexpensive and lightweight small light for using on my bicycle. I´ve tried the Dealextreme Ultrafire FMR1. The first impression was good, particularly the beam is good, but there is a problem for me:

The FMR1 cuts the power on a RCR123 at 3.4V. That´s too early and not very good because the resulting runtime is too less for me for driving home with the bike.

But the form-factor with the side-clicky and the small-diameter reflector is good for me as I can use the light on the bike as well as carrying it with me in my pants.

So actually I am searching for a 1x18650-light with a reflector not much thicker than the body, a more floody beam with a clear spillbeam and one or two modes (low and hi or med and hi). Switch shall be a clicky, never mind side- or tailcap-clicky.

Any suggestions?

n.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well there's always this one at Lighthound.
:devil:
A DereeLight CL1H isn't too bulky. Check them out at CPFM Manufacturer's forum. Also look at a Wolf Eyes Sniper with a Q5 dropin out at Pacific Tactical Solutions (PTS).
Lumapower M1s also aren't too bulky you can find them in the Lumapower section of the Manufacturer's forum.

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

Brrr, the Leef/Gotham is - to say it gentle - not my flavor ;)
And a little bit to expensive, too (for the intended purpose).

All the DX-examples do have a bulky head.
I am searching for a light with a "tube"-design like an mostyl all other smaller lights - Jetbeam, P1, Liteflux LF2-5...

The XTar is near to my wish, but are there any beamshots out in the world? It´s a Cree-light, and Cree-beams are not as good than the SSC ones in my opinion.

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
There's a light review on the luxeon version of this light here.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/xtar_3w.htm
The P4 version should be much brighter at the same power draw, advertised 150 lumen, that's probably not out the front. If it's just as bright as as my RC-F4's with at least 120 out the front, I'll be happy, as I've ordered one. I've determined that for a walking beam (or maybe a bicycle beam) a well focused 120 lumen light is about perfect, I don't need brighter often. Reviews of the newer light are scarce, but it's got a HAIII finish and reported 3.5 hour runtime. Google "Xtar" for reviews. It appears that it *might* use a P60 compatible drop in so it can be configured as you wish, hellishly bright for a short time or moderate brightness for a longer duration. I have one enroute from Lighthound and have a couple of protected 2500mah Trustfire batteries waiting. I prefer a longer runtime on a single battery.

I use a Romisen RC-F4 as a walking light in the woods with a AW protected 17670, lasts for about 1 hour 45 minutes at at least 125 lumen. A well focused example has great throw. I prefer single cell lights to two or more cells for safety reasons (even with AW's cells), but I'd like more runtime. Ergo the Xtar. When I get it in I can give you my impressions, it's due in probably tomorrow or the next day, shipped today. Someday I'll have to figure out how to post pictures for comparison beamshots.

I too am looking for a small, tube type 18650 light, would be perhaps a little smaller than the Olight T20 Q5 that I EDC, but run longer. Candlepower member PEU is working on a concept light, a tube 18650 light for under a hundred bucks, but it's coming along slowly. I believe if you search for NECO, 18650 and PEU you'll come up with the thread. Basically it's a upsized Arc AAA light. I wish Arc or PEU would make it. :thumbsup:

Edit: I have a couple of FMR1's. Mine will drain a LiFePO4 cell down to 2 volts, I've destroyed a couple of them accidentally. I haven't tried a AW protected RCR 123, but I have no problem with FMR1's stopping the draw at 3.4 volts, I'd get another example and try it. I haven't run into that particular, uh, feature, in a DX light.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
mod an Inova T1 with circuit, Led, reflector, 17650/18650

or wait IF Fenix ever offers sich a model (we are asking quite some year for already)

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
It appears that the T1 is a single CR123 light. One would have to use the T2, a 2 X CR123 light, to fit a 14670/17670/18650. Inside diameter isn't known, if a 18650 would fit, one would have a modable tube. I might just order one to see if it's viable.

Just checked, the T2 has a flared head. Won't be any better than the Xtar. However the Inova Xo takes 2 CR123's, is only .98 inches in diameter with no flare. Might be a modable tube. However one needs to beware as the newer Xo2 is also called the Xo but has a reflector and a flared head, again no better than the Xtar.

The old Xo is available from Botactactical right now for 30 bucks in black. One could probably disassemble the front end just like the X1, by freezing the light when full of water to force the led, module and lens out. Again, it's listed as .98 inches in diameter, unknown if a 18650 will fit as the Xtar is 31mm or 1.24 inches in diameter, but that may be max or head diameter. I'll know more after mine arrives.

ThatGuyBri

Newly Enlightened
Fenix L2D CE Q5 2xAA has a small head making it look long. It is only 6 inches, 1 inch longer than the XTAR. It is rated at 180 lumens for ~2 hours or 107 lumens for ~4. It is tough to beat! 18650s don't have significantly more capacity than 2xAA.

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I prefer single cell lights to two or more cells for safety reasons (even with AW's cells), but I'd like more runtime.
You´ve exactly got the point I´ve meant :)

Edit: I have a couple of FMR1's. Mine will drain a LiFePO4 cell down to 2 volts, I've destroyed a couple of them accidentally. I haven't tried a AW protected RCR 123, but I have no problem with FMR1's stopping the draw at 3.4 volts, I'd get another example and try it. I haven't run into that particular, uh, feature, in a DX light.

Hm. I´ve tried it with several Batterystation RCR123A (protected), the light turned OFF with all of them exactly on 3.4V (I´ve measured it after unscrewing the body. That´s not really exact, but when running in the FMR1 the charging took about only half an hour. When using in other lights (like my P1) the light turned definitely OFF from the cells protection-circuit, and charging took about more than one hour). So I don´t know why, but I think the FMR1 turns OFF to early.

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
Yes a 2AA light is bright, easier to recharge, batteries are available. That's why I have a Ultrafire C3 2AA, JetBeam MKIIv1, Jetbeam MKIIR, Ultrafire C3 2AA multimode, etc. But. That extra inch means that the light doesn't fit in your back pocket without sticking out the top or laying crosswise which is uncomfortable. It won't lay at the bottom of the pocket. Doesn't fit in the front pocket either, too long. My v1.2 CL-E with a v2 head fits in the front pocket, but isn't bright enough to use as a walking light in the woods. On a single cell an AA light is not bright enough. Been there, done that. A single AA Olight T15 Q5 doesn't have a long enough run time at 120 lumens at .8 hrs. I don't wear holsters on my belt. Been there and done that too. For 30 years, handgun, flashlight, magazines, radio, handcuffs, keys, etc. Now it fits in a pocket or it doesn't come along.

Someday when a R5, or an S5 or T5 is available, makes 200 lumen at less than a half amp on a single AA, then an AA light will be feasible. Until then, the 18650 carries enough energy in a compact form factor that if one doesn't screw up the engineering, the light can be small but bright enough for most purposes except to use as a vehicle headlight, with a sufficiently long runtime that you don't need a bat-belt to carry spare batteries.

I like the FMR1 for a walking light, unfortunately it doesn't run long enough on a single RCR123, and I refuse to throw away 120 or 150 used batteries a year, and changing batteries in the dark or with my CL-E in my teeth so I can see what I'm doing isn't much fun. If I could get an extension tube for it that would fit an 18650 it would be a perfect EDC light.

Just my preference's, of course. :)

Last edited:

Leef

Enlightened
Naturelle, please note that there are Leef bodies for any light that uses SF's C or E head. All these bodies take the 18mm batteries (18500, 18650). These bodies use the SF/Leef C series tailcaps. When using SF's E heads, these bodies give a cylindrical light (viz. almost same diameter, front to rear). The Leef C-E bodies fit the Aleph heads also, giving additional flexibility as to size and reflector diameter.

Check 'em out at Lighthound. :D

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
It appears that the T1 is a single CR123 light. One would have to use the T2, a 2 X CR123 light, to fit a 14670/17670/18650. Inside diameter isn't known, if a 18650 would fit, one would have a modable tube. I might just order one to see if it's viable.
well, if I type "use a T1", then probably I mean a T1? :rolleyes:
means:
I have done this mod. To the old (1 CR) and the new (2 CR battery) models. Their body is more-ore-less equal.
Sure one has to mill the body wide enough to get the 18650 inside
- its not an easy mod.

Last edited:

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
My apologies, yellow, the vendor that I use was apparently wrong in their description of the light. Going to the Inovalight website I see that the described T1 does indeed use 2 CR123's. My bad.

How well does it run on 3.7 volts?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the 18650 lights out there are just as big or bigger than a 2AA fenix L2D CE (14.7cm (L) x 2.1cm (D) or 0.8" x 5.8"), and don't offer a brightness or runtime advantage so check the specs/reviews carefully.

I'm waiting for a nice thin compact 18650 from fenix but haven't seen it yet, until that time L2D CE Q5 is the better option.

Last edited:

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
Naturelle, I've lived with the Xtar P4 for a few days now, I can EDC it in the back pocket of my jeans. Would work well as a high beam on a bike, is a little too good a thrower, might need to diffuse the beam a little. It reaches out pretty well, to my eyes it exceeds 120 lumen. I've clocked it at about 2 hrs, 10 minutes to 50% on a Trustfire protected 18650. I didn't run it to the 2.75 volt cutoff. After 10 minutes, the whole light is rather warm, you'll need to use your hand to heatsink it for about 30 more minutes, then it starts to cool down a little. With the temps outside now, here, heatsinking isn't needed.

Edit: Thank you, Naturelle, Happy New Year to you too.

Last edited:

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
Wow!

RecycledElectron,

thank you for your quick reply and I wish you a happy new year!
I think I will buy this light, but at the moment I´ll have to wait until two other shipments arrive me...
:thumbsup::twothumbs