U.N. military action against Britain, U.S.?

Anarchocap

Enlightened
You guys are all aware of my views on the UN and the US trying to legitimize its use of force on Iraq. I have spelled this out before and people brushed it off, but the option is here, and its being pushed as viable. Just because it may not have the backing to happen now, doesn't mean that it never will. I may be anti-war, but I am not anti-self-defense. I believe in national sovereignty and self-determination. The same logic we are using to attack Iraq will be used against us. Its not a matter of if, but when. Read now, and be very afraid...

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=31535
[ QUOTE ]

Could U.N. use military force on U.S.?
Americans urge invoking obscure convention to halt 'aggression'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: March 15, 2003
1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Art Moore
© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

Could the U.N. use military force to prevent the United States and Britain from waging war on Iraq without a Security Council mandate?

Some anti-war groups are urging the world body to invoke a little-known convention that allows the General Assembly to step in when the Security Council is at an impasse in the face of a "threat to the peace, breach of the peace or act of aggression."

The willingness by the U.S. and Britain to go to war with Iraq without Security Council authorization is the kind of threat the U.N. had in mind when it passed Resolution 377 in 1950, said Michael Ratner, president of the Center for Constitutional Rights, a human-rights group in New York City.

In a position paper, Ratner wrote that by invoking the resolution, called "Uniting for Peace," the "General Assembly can meet within 24 hours to consider such a matter, and can recommend collective measures to U.N. members including the use of armed forces to 'maintain or restore international peace and security.'"

The U.N. taking military action against the U.S.?

"It would be very difficult to say what that means," said Ratner in an interview with WorldNetDaily, emphasizing that he did not believe the situation would evolve to that "extreme."

"I don't consider that within the framework I'm talking about," he said.

Shonna Carter, a publicist for Ratner's group, said she believed it would be legitimate for the U.N. to use military force to stop "U.S. aggression."

"But I doubt it would happen," she said. "I don't think that as part of Uniting for Peace they would include military action, but that would have to be something those countries agreed on. …"

Steve Sawyer, spokesman for Greenpeace in New Zealand – which has joined Ratner's group in the campaign – told WND he was not aware of the U.N. being able to use force under any circumstances.

Ratner explained that Resolution 377 would enable the General Assembly to declare that the U.S. cannot take military action against Iraq without the explicit authority of the Security Council. The assembly also could mandate that the inspection regime be allowed to "complete its work."

"It seems unlikely that the United States and Britain would ignore such a measure," Ratner said in his paper. "A vote by the majority of countries in the world, particularly if it were almost unanimous, would make the unilateral rush to war more difficult."

Uniting for Peace can be invoked either by seven members of the Security Council or by a majority of the members of the General Assembly, he said.

'Ways to make U.N. more important'

Ratner, who also teaches at the Columbia University Law School, told WND that the idea of invoking the resolution "came up when I started thinking about the fact that we could get into a situation where the U.S. may go to war without a Security Council resolution or with a veto."

He had two of his students at the law school research the resolution and now has sent out the word to every U.N. mission in New York.

In addition, about 12 missions a day are being visited by campaigners, he said, and the response has been generally very positive.

He expects there to be support from the 116 countries in the non-aligned movement, who are "already saying inspectors should be given more time."

Greenpeace's involvement has greatly expanded the campaign's reach, he said, since "we're just a small human-rights litigation organization."

"I've done a lot of work with international law and with the U.N.," he said, "and we're always interested in figuring out ways to make the U.N. more important."

Sedition?

A circular e-mail letter promoting the campaign said in the first paragraph that "if Iraq is invaded, it would empower the General Assembly to restore peace, including an authorization to use military action to accomplish this, if necessary."

The letter includes Ratner's name and e-mail address as a contact, but he says he did not send out that particular version, which included the line about the U.N. using military action.

A political science professor at the University of Michigan who forwarded the letter to colleagues, added a note above the text, obtained by WND, that said: "Below you will find an excellent and urgently needed proposal for stopping the war before it starts from the Center for Constitutional Rights. …"

"Please make this major peace action a high priority and forward this message to others," said Susan Wright, who indicated she is with the university's Institute for Research on Women and Gender.

Is Wright essentially urging foreign countries to be willing to take military action against her own country?

"I wouldn't say it's necessarily sedition," said Ratner. "Advocacy is one thing, having the means to carry it out is another. It's not something I would ever recommend."

[/ QUOTE ]

Raven

Enlightened
HaHa

Let me introduce you to my friend called reality.

The US IS the muscle behind the UN security council.

China and Russia are not going to start WWIII because of Iraq.

Oh, I almost forgot.

TROLL

Raven

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
Why is it, whenever anyone posts anyhting mildly intelligent, or interesting, someone shouts troll?

Thankyou for posting that.
I dont trust our goverments further then i can throw them. And in some ways I hope the UN stands up, and proves its power by beating some sense into the US and England if they wont listen to reason.

Greta

Flashaholic
I guess I gotta ask...

... and what Army? *snicker*... No one has the balls to go against us in that manner. So unless the UN wants to hire a bunch of terrorists, I would have to agree that it's highly unlikely. I won't lose sleep worrying. Not to mention the fact that we do have support from a majority already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

*snicker... snort... giggle... shaking my head*... where do people get this stuff?

Greta

Flashaholic
OH! and by the by...

Raven, it is rare that we get trolls here on CPF. UnanimousConsent is not one of them.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
I guess I gotta ask...

... and what Army? *snicker*... No one has the balls to go against us in that manner. So unless the UN wants to hire a bunch of terrorists, I would have to agree that it's highly unlikely. I won't lose sleep worrying. Not to mention the fact that we do have support from a majority already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

*snicker... snort... giggle... shaking my head*... where do people get this stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

my thoughts exactly.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
I'm sure the threat of French military action is keeping most of our generals up all night long... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Besides, the UN didn't do anything when the USSR invaded Afghanistan, didn't do anything when Argentina invaded the Faulkland Islands, didn't do anything when Cuba invaded Grenada, and didn't do anything when Iraq invaded Kuait until we asked them to.

Nobody is afraid of the UN, that's the whole point. The only army they could come up with would be one of slave labor. Third world countries that sell the services of their conscripted armies for cash. Talk about a human rights violation.

Finally, why would anyone that doesn't trust the US government trust the UN? At first glance, that seems either very naive, or that someone has a personal beef with our government.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
I never said it was likely now. I am trying to further illustrate the potential consequences of using the United Nations as a Bully Pulpit, the majority of which are totalitarian regimes.

I am certainly not a troll, and WorldNetDaily prints stuff days or weeks before the UPI and API spoon fed propaganda media does, if at all. If any site prints the raw truth, WND does. Most recently, WND has won major vindication in the TWA Flight 800 investigation. The Justice Department has admitted to a cover-up (Jailed author of Flight 800 book vindicated), and WND has been the only real news organization that has kept the fact that TWA 800 was probably downed by a terrorist missile in the limelight.

I am the Canary. I may be just one small meager and weak Canary surrounded by a whole lot of Hawks, but I am still it none-the-less.

I stand by my assertion that if we can do it do others, it will be done to us. It may not happen today, or next year, or even in 20 years, but it will happen. The US is setting a precedent for the whole world to follow, and IMHO, its not a good one.

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
the problem is.
War is horrible, terrible and in most cases avoidable. its a waste of life, money and resources, and its effect lingers for generations.
I dont think a civilised nation should start a war. sadam is a nasty piece of work for sure, but the sanctions have
reduced his power and popularity. war should be the last avalible option once all others are exhausted, and in this case they aren't.

I have a mistrust for any governing body who wont disclose all the information they gather, the minutes from meetings, and the individual opinions of all formaly conerned, without retaliation from within their oganisation. how can anyone trust a government who illegaly copyed a 3 year old paper a student wrote for his degree and presented it as their dossier?!
I personaly am for taking sadam out, and educating the Iraq public, investing in the country and making it safe. lift the sanctions and sort the country out. not totaly destroy it, and any hope of a sucessful enviroment for its people. in this age there simply are better options.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edited....AHH, Nevermind. Not worth the effort.

I do, however agree with Unanimous on the Flight 800 thing.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Interesting concept but I think we have a way around it.
Let the UN pass a resolution against us, so what, it usually means nothing. We can send in 200,000 troops and then send 2 home every day to show we are complying. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good one Dave! I wouldn't really worry about the UN it seems they have difficulty making any decisions regarding anything in any sort of a timely fashion and we could be in and out of Iraq before they could rally and mobilize any kind of resistant force not to mention fund such a force. Also doubtful due to the fact that now they are so short on any kind of money to support peace keeping forces that they are considering hiring mercs like those of Executive Outcomes to handle their Police and Paramilitary duties.

And speaking of distrust. I distrust a country that after agreeing to obey sanctions against it's past and current stockpiles and future build up of military materials continues on in violation after 12 years and only begins a halfhearted effort to comply after significant threat of force is applied by two member countries of the UN without its support. The small amount of cooperation we have recieved is due directly to threat of invasion and forced regieme change, and so far is probably a complete ruse to buy time. War sucks and killing is horrible but sometimes military interdiction is the only way to avoid a larger future conflict (what if there had been a coalition to Invade Germany and stop Hitlers military buildup and subsequent invasion of his neighboring countries in Europe, that would have saved millions of lives.) This wack job, Saddam Insane, has already invaded one neighboring country in the past and Iran had to beat the hell out of him too. Definitely gives me a clue to his ambitions. Are we going to let opportunity slip, Like we did in Mogadishu or concerning our past chances to nab Osama Your Mama or are we going to take Initiative and preempt a dangerous future conflict that could very well end in all out NBC war.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bill.H

Enlightened
What U.N. military?

[ QUOTE ]
UnanimousConsent said:Read now, and be very afraid...

[/ QUOTE ]

NOT! afraid that is. Who is going to give the UN troops to fight the US and GB? France and Germany have huge amounts of money invested in Iraq, but they're not going to fight the two most powerful nations on earth to protect it. The UN is toothless (remember, it has no power but what we give it) and well past its prime. The whole idea of the UN using force to stop the US and GB is laughable.

I also like Dave's idea but slightly modified - we send in 300,000 troops, then tell the UN we are pulling out when they "order" us to (assuming they can get a resolution) - and then let them send inspectors to count 'em!

Anarchocap

Enlightened
Re: What U.N. military?

Sigh. You guys only see the trees and not the forest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

Unanimous, I see the forest and I think it should be kicked out of NY.

What is a Troll? (beside the ugly little guy) PM if too bad.

Anarchocap

Enlightened

If you are talking about the UN, I can say we certainly finally agree in a most virulent manner!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

A Troll is a poster, mostly with fake, fictitious, or unverified usernames, who posts false, unsubstantiated, and misleading things in order to intentionally cause arguments or a plethora of posts to the detriment of the board.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fishing...?

Trees and forests...?

Now we`re finally talking about something interesting.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Carpe Diem said:
Fishing...?

Trees and forests...?

Now we`re finally talking about something interesting.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif