Gifts Big Hit at Work - KD 1AAA SCC Lights

Brooks

Newly Enlightened
I gave 5 of my coworkers these flashlights as Christmas gifts on Friday and they were amazed by the light output. Most of them were seeing spots as they looked into the light when first turning them on. I usually don't spend this much on gifts for coworkers, but these lights are so amazing for their size I couldn't resist. I am giving some more away tomorrow to family members and I know they will be just a thrilled. My coworkers are already asking me where they can get more of these lights.

My EDC has been a Fenix 1AAA LOP CE on my key chain for around a year now and it is my most often used light and my favorite out of all my lights. I was glad when the KD 1AAA came out for such a reasonable cost, so I could afford to share this light with my family and friends. For the money I don't think there is a light out there that comes close to the cost and brightness in such a small light.

ki0ak

Newly Enlightened
I think this is the light to which Brooks is referring. I've been waiting for them to become "available" for a couple of weeks now (if not longer)...

Brooks

Newly Enlightened

meuge

Enlightened
I heard that one can come apart a bit too easy...

OP please keep us updated on coworkers use of these!

Probably the brightest AAA light out there, aside from LOD-CE on 10440.

I love mine, but it did come apart way too easily (really small flimsy o-ring, and not enough thread).

I added a 30c o-ring from the neighborhood hardware store, that I lubricated with vaccum grease, and it's now a great light.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably the brightest AAA light out there, aside from LOD-CE on 10440.

I agree, and just about the nicest beam too! The LiteFlux LF2 SSC's beam is a bit smoother, but the KaiDomain light is much brigther. Great light!

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love this light. Short reflector = big fat beam on the wall. Better indoors light than the L0D CE.

kdbuckleic0.jpg

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
I would also agree with the nice beam this little light puts out. Nice white color and great close up flood. I've bought a few for weld inspection at work.

Some downsides may be that I've had the O-ring wear out on one of them. Dropped one and not sure what happened, but it ceased to work again.

Having a tint of any color in the beam is like a pet peave for me, but this light is one of the best white lights I've seen. If Kai would open up the 'add to cart' option, I'd have a few more in stock at work...

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Let me say I have this light and just ordered a few more. I believe this is one of the best things going right now and it really is a great light for the cost.

I received this light as well as my new LOD-CE about the same time and quickly compared the two lights. My sample is every bit as bright as my LOD-CE on turbo setting. The output is almost identical however the Kai Light is a touch brighter with the tint being a tad bit warmer. The beam is actually a little better than the LOD-CE for the Kai light has ZERO artifacts and smooth transition from spot to flood.

I have read that it comes apart easily but with daily carry mine has done just fine. If it came apart tomorrow I could not complain as this light has impressed me from the start. I often pay 15 dollars for dinner on duty and for this light to perform for that price seems amazing to me. It both looks good and feels good in the hand as well. Buy one and you will most likely enjoy the light.

mattblick

Newly Enlightened
I gave away 5 at Christmas and will be ordering more.

The light is super bright on AAA alkaline and NiMH. It outshines my LF2, Avenger, and Ultrafire 602C with these batteries (though the Avenger's deep reflector allows it to throw better. Only 10440 power will allow the others to best the KD buckle light in brightness. For non-flashaholics I think lithium ion power is not quite ready for the masses.

Personally I would love if Kai could offer it in HA-III instead of level II anodizing and would fork over an extra $5 at least. EDC lights take all kinds of abuse from keys, coins, etc in the pocket and this is the only thing that keeps the light slightly below Fenix Class. It is definitely higer quality than Ultrafire, and even the Avenger has O-Ring issues and battery incompatibilities.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have a beat-up KD buckle light yet? I'd like to see how it holds up to wear and tear.

bspofford

Enlightened
This light would be even better if it were made of aircraft grade aluminum and had a HAIII finish, but it is made of softer aluminum and has a type II finish that wears off rather easily.

My two year-old fed one to our 80 pound puppy. She chewed it badly, and the soft aluminum of the tailcap buckled. I hammered and filed it so that it would thread back on the tube and would turn on. Since it was damaged, I decided to see if a 10440 Li-ion would work. The boost circuit blew immediately, and 1.5V primaries would not turn it on. The light seemed brighter and not very warm for about five minutes -- then it died.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've given away about 20 of these, and each person was thoroughly impressed and amazed. One of them got another keychain light from someone, and proudly declared, 'but the light you gave me blew it away!' =D

It's a great deal, esp. if you get the 5-pack. And the thing that makes it worth it is the number of people who tell me that once they got it, they found so many times when it came in handy. Money well spent.