got an L6 for christmas, probs :(

LK5GB7

Newly Enlightened
well first of all merry christmas to all! i hope you all got some good illumination tools this christmas !

i just picked up a surefire L6! its a great light. i am so happy with it, but theres one problem.

after a few hours of joyful playing in my back yard, happily beaming trees from afar, i noticed the clicky switch started getting "squishy", not working with its usual snap.

after subsequently trying to click it multiple times, it just got worse every time. and now it refuses to click at all. the only thing that will work is momentary function, and the cap has to be in the right position for even that to work.

now, i realize SF has had clicker problems in the past. Do you think if i take my flashlight up to SF headquarters, they will fix it on the spot? I happen to live 10 minutes away and i was thinking about stopping in. i also want to see if they can install a regular non clicky. something more reliable :)

thanks for the help and merry christmas!

Last edited:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always worth a shot. I know it would be a great goodwill jesture and also cost wise.

Best of luck!!

Merry X-Mas!!! Enjoy your new torch!!

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
They will give you a new tailcap. Most people just call them and SF will send a new tailcap without even asking (and you don't need to send the old tailcap back).

But, just try to apply a few drops of oil (best would be silicon oil) in the 4 holes around the tailcap rubber cap. This will solve the problem. I don't have a clicky tailcap but this problem has been discussed many times on CPF.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd definitely take advantage of living so close to SureFire and take it down to them. No doubt they can help you out :eek:

Regards,
Tempest

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you lube the tailcap it should work fine....seems more & more clickies are having this sticky problem.

Try the lube first, it usually works

LK5GB7

Newly Enlightened
well here's the deal

i took the switch and lubricated it with some silicone oil. afterward it worked great, but then a problem at the other end, the light started to flicker. well i got kinda upset then, so i drove it down to surefire.

when i got there, they were very friendly. they took my light and examined it. they concluded one of the springs at the bezel end was not making contact with the battery. so they stretched it and now it works. 'said if any more problems occur, bring it in and they will fix, no hassles.

so, i guess i am happy that it works now. i have to admit, my trust is a bit swayed in my new expensive light. the switch wasn't a big problem. but the whole contact thing kinda upset me i am really hoping it doesnt happen again. i appreciate surefires customer service, but i'd much rather not have to use it and have my light work :).

what kind of lubricant should i be using on the internals (ie. tail cap inerts, etc)? I use white lithium grease on the O rings and threads...

Last edited:

LK5GB7

Newly Enlightened
ouch! got it. i wiped that stuff off and replaced it with sili..

i think ill buy some nyogel

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
...i am really hoping it doesnt happen again. i appreciate surefires customer service, but i'd much rather not have to use it and have my light work :).

It's a mechanical device and when used frequently, it will malfunction. I have accepted that of anything mechanical.

I also appreciate that Surefire will repair it. Moreover, I am thankful that Surefire is 15 minutes from where I work.

Flashlight Enthusiast
LK5GB7 I feel you when you say being blessed with living near SF's office, when my U2 had a selector ring problem, I took it in and within a few day shad it back on my doorstep with fresh cells.

LK5GB7

Newly Enlightened
it's definitely a blessing!

ya know, i'm actually not too fond of clickie switches. i think i'll order a z41 to simplify things a bit. that will at least minimalize the chance for failure with fewer moving parts

i've always felt more comfortable with the twist-on's

anyone know where i can find a z41 in HA? all the ones i found are black

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
We all should have at least 3 different lubes on hand. On orings I use magnelube. On threads I use magnelube or nanolube and on springs and contact points use Progold from radio shack.
Yaesumofo

hammong

Newly Enlightened
SF lights are expensive, but their customer service is absolutely stellar in my book.

I had a selector issue with a brand new Kroma, and after calling they told me, "No problem, send it in, and we'll get it fixed right away." I shipped it on a Thursday and had my repaired Kroma on Monday. Shipping receipt indicates they repaired and shipped my light out the same day - no waiting in the shop! They replaced the head, and shipped it back with a fresh set of batteries.

Now I want a Dominator 10X to go with My E2D, Kroma, and U2.

Greg