Santa dropped me off an E2L Cree

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
wooohoo my first surefire. im not that much of a collector, i started out with an inova x5 years ago, a small lil 3aaa coast from costco that is eh, then bought a streamlight propolymer luxeon 3C and 4AA to have for safety (with the long runtime at the time and good enough light), then a p3d ce q4 edition this year, and then got the e2L cree for xmas from my gf today (who thought i was crazy for asking for it)

gotta say this thing just feels so good in your hand, the knurling is excellent! now i know what people mean by that.

cant wait till it gets dark to really test it next to all my other lights, though i played with them in my basement where it is pretty dark.

from these very preliminary tests, the e2l seems to put out about just as much light as the p3d Q4 edition on high (not turbo) but with the spill noticeably less bright.

compared to my streamlight 3C/4aa propolymer luxeon the lil e2L has a much much bigger spot and more pleasing light overall though since the spot is bigger, that very center spot of the luxeon feels a touch brighter. spill seems very similar so far.

i basically got the e2l to replace the 4aa that i used to carry around always while camping. too much more light and it would just be bothersome, the e2l is just right, and with NINE FRICKIN HOURS OF REGULATED OUTPUT at FULL! (that is the kicker)

but yeah, this thing definitely feels real good in hand.

i think ill be getting a lumahunter m1 or tiablo a8 to have a throw-light and then take a break for awhile :) and when they come out with a flashlight this small with about 65 surefire lumens for like 8 hours runtime, ill take that too!

happy mazeltov!

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations! You hit the Christmas present lottery. Ill bet you were as happy as Ralphie when he got his Daisy Red Rider BB gun:)

Definitely beats my pare of slacks and a shower curtain liner:shakehead

Enjoy your light. I have an old e2e that is my oldest light...still working after 8 years. Now I will have to buy the e2l

Great score...congrats!

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweeeeeeet light. You'll be playing with it all day (and night). Congrats on the first SF. :naughty:

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
The E2L Cree is a great light, a useful amount of light, a nice balance between throw and flood on the stock optic, and great runtime, this thing is a real battery sipper

slip on a F04 Beamshaper diffuser and it becomes a nice, smooth flooder

I've also noticed that my E2L Cree has a nice warm tint to the emitter, slightly yellowish

when I perform my "hand test" (shining the light on my hand) it has the closest-to-incan tint of all my LED's
my Lux lights and Seouls make me look even paler and pastier than I already am, the Seoul especially makes me look pale and vampiric, the E2L, OTOH looks almost Incan-ish

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
yeah this is a good amount of light. i almost want it to be brighter but then when i just use it close range or to sneak in a page in the dark of a book, like i might in my tent, any brighter and it would be bothersome - so really it is perfect for close range applications on top of general campsite use and safety usage.

when i was camping, the streamlight pro polymer luxeon was really just about perfect for everything, and since this is just a bit brighter with a much nicer wider spot and prettier beam - this is ideal.

its just that craving for lumens even when you dont need them :) but like i said, ill pick up a thrower later on in the year, T1, lumahunter m1 or an a8.

i can say the only thing i could ask for is more spill on this optic.

how much does that F04 diffuser affect the throw?