U2 ultra upgraded?

cuester

Newly Enlightened
I'm a lurker as I haven't bought a "serious" flashlight yet. I'm looking at purchasing a u2 ultra in the spring. I had heard its a great all around light and I have not yet seen a complaint, other than apossbily defective tailcaps in some models. To me that level of satisfaction is unheard of. Now for the real question. Is surefire planning on updating the U2 ultra with a new bulb? Cree possibly? I'd hate to buy a flashlight and have a new revised ediion come out a week later.

P.S I used the search function before I posted.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a U2 the other day and LOVE IT!!
I have heard nothing of Surefire updating the U2.

You will like it!

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
from my recent browsing doing flashlight research - i read that the U2 will most likely be upgraded to a cree in 08. since you arent buying until the spring, you should get more concrete info before then on this.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I've seen in the past, even if Surefire published a release date for an updated / upgraded U2 (which they haven't), I wouldn't plan on being able to actually buy one anywhere until a year after the release date. They're that slow.

Besides, today's Cree wouldn't offer much of an upgrade to the U2. It would wreck the beautiful beam profile, and only give a little more perceived brightness. You might be able to get more runtime out of it, but I've never wanted for runtime from my U2 the way it is.

If you want a U2, just go buy one today and enjoy it for what it is.

cuester

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help and fast replies. Looks like I will go ahead and order one whn the finances are in order.

CobraMan

Newly Enlightened
You will not be disappointed with the U2 - still my favorite of all my lights for all around versatility, multiple levels, and great feel in my hand. I will certainly be one of the first in line if Surefire does upgrade the U2 to one of the more current LEDs capable of mid 200 lumens or more.

:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs
Cheers,
Tim Rank

KROMATICS

Enlightened
Wouldn't the new K2 TFFC be an ideal replacement? Not everything has to be a Cree.

daveman

Enlightened
Wouldn't the new K2 TFFC be an ideal replacement? Not everything has to be a Cree.
The K2 will not be competitive with the higher numbered R bins that will appear around the same time Surefire releases its new lights. I don't think they've waited for 2+ years just to be outgunned on the day they release their new products.

Only something in the order of a Rebel 150 or SSC V bin will make Surefire give up Cree.

Brozneo

Enlightened
from my recent browsing doing flashlight research - i read that the U2 will most likely be upgraded to a cree in 08. since you arent buying until the spring, you should get more concrete info before then on this.

Lots of speculation at the moment - nothing concrete....

cuester

Newly Enlightened
I'll just bite the bullet and buy instead of waiting around and seeing what may or may not happen to it.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U2 will probably be my next big purchase, I really want one, but I'm waiting on the update. For me 100 Lumens is not enough and I'm not trying to open a can of worms or a debate. I'm getting almost double that out of one cell lights so I'm expecting more. I know thousands are happy with it the way it is because it's a great light but again I want more lumens before I purchase one.

Last edited:

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
Lots of speculation at the moment - nothing concrete....

agreed. that is why i said you should be able to find more concrete info later, as in better info.

since the OP said he was gonna buy in spring, that is 3 months away, may as well keep an ear open until then.

daveman

Enlightened
A year is not that long of a wait for me, and I'm telling you (OP) that if you would buy this time next year instead, you will have a better product than the U2 available now. But if you need it now, go ahead and buy it, don't do whatever it is you need to do unprepared, spend that money.

cbxer55

Enlightened
I bought a U2 two years ago, and so far it has worked very reliably. Still have the original tail cap as well. I carry it daily along with a Fenix P1D-CE. I cannot tell the difference between 100 and 135 lumens, but prefer the wider beam of the U2 over the Fenix.
I read in another post where someone said he was not impressed with the new Fenix P3D-Q5, said he could not see a difference between its high of 100 lumens and the turbo mode 215. And I was planning on buying a P3D-Q5 too. Not now, think I'll wait for a 500 lumen pocket light before I buy again.
But the U2 will be a EDC for years to come. Fantastic light.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought myself a Leef U2 body for 18650 cells 5 unprotected 18650 cells, and some other fun stuff with it, and it's by far may favorite light I have ever held. IMHO it's a perfect blend of usefulness, the only thing you should be concerned with about the U2 is the luxeon lottery, U2's get hit the worst I think.

sp5it

Enlightened
Maybe somaday Lumileds will release super-duper emitter in Luxeon style body which will be plug and play replacement for Luxeon III and V. Than I will mod my U2 :) Now with WW0S is great light. I got a few Cree based lights much brighter than U2 but U2 is a keeper.
Mike

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe somaday Lumileds will release super-duper emitter in Luxeon style body which will be plug and play replacement for Luxeon III and V. Than I will mod my U2 :) Now with WW0S is great light. I got a few Cree based lights much brighter than U2 but U2 is a keeper.
Mike

How about the SSC?

cuester

Newly Enlightened
At least if I lose the luxeon lottery itsounds liek surefire will back up their product if needed.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if you buy the U2 now, and a newer model is released in 2008/9, it won't make your U2 any worse/dimmer. Only in relation to the updated model. I would suggest that if you are happy with the specs and reviews of the current U2, and believe it fits your requirements, then buy it now and enjoy it.

If/when an updated U2 is released, your U2 will perform just as well as it always has, and if it meets your requirements on the day you buy it, it is likely to still do so years later. Just because something newer/better comes out doesn't make whatever you had before any worse.

Regards,
Tempest