Is the Muyshondt Nautilus Worth the Price

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone with experience with the Muyshondt Nautilus please comment; do you think this light is worth the premium price? It appears very small and bright. Maybe the smallest CR123 light I've seen. I'm looking for a new pocket light.

Thanks
Bill

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Can anyone with experience with the Muyshondt Nautilus please comment; do you think this light is worth the premium price? It appears very small and bright. Maybe the smallest CR123 light I've seen. I'm looking for a new pocket light.

Thanks
Bill

Any responses you get to this question will be worthless. YOU must decide if the light is worth it to you.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any responses you get to this question will be worthless. YOU must decide if the light is worth it to you.

I somewhat agree if I had the light to handle, Ah but I don't. So I think comments from those who have had the light for sometime and their experience with it will be somewhat useful to me.

Thanks

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have no way of knowing if the well over $100 price-tag makes the light "worth it" to you. It's a good light that runs quite long, with a good build quality.

That wasn't so hard, thanks for your opinion. I thought that's why we're all here, to share are experiences with flashlights, the good, the bad, the costs, are they worth it, but I must be missing something ( and I mean that with all senserity ). You have posted over 9000 times and have been here a lot longer than me so you obviously know this place better than I do. I was just curious about these lights. I'm sorry I asked about these lights or asked the question the way I did. Again my apology.

Bill

da.gee

Enlightened
Useless? Hmmm. Here are my useless observations...

I bought one on looks and specs without knowing Muyshondt was the creator of other products. IMO it is a great little single cell 123. Great low and lasts forever on that setting. On high very good throw for such a small package. I always have it with me as its small size is very very convenient. I think you can get an idea of the quality of Enrique's products by checking out talk on his Ion and the other threads regarding the Nautilus. I'm about a month into mine and I don't see it leaving my side anytime soon. I would recommend without reservation even at $200. It seems pretty reasonably priced when compared to other customs. I really like the black/brass contrast. Very classy.

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one on looks and specs without knowing Muyshondt was the creator of other products. IMO it is a great little single cell 123. Great low and lasts forever on that setting. On high very good throw for such a small package. I always have it with me as its small size is very very convenient. I think you can get an idea of the quality of Enrique's products by checking out talk on his Ion and the other threads regarding the Nautilus. I'm about a month into mine and I don't see it leaving my side anytime soon. I would recommend without reservation even at its relatively high price.

Thanks, I didn't know the Ion was the same company. I did not glance past the 50 lumen spec, but now that you mention it "duh" they look almost alike.

Thanks

Bill

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
That wasn't so hard, thanks for your opinion. I thought that's why we're all here, to share are experiences with flashlights, the good, the bad, the costs, are they worth it, but I must be missing something ( and I mean that with all senserity ). You have posted over 9000 times and have been here a lot longer than me so you obviously know this place better than I do. I was just curious about these lights. I'm sorry I asked about these lights or asked the question the way I did. Again my apology.

Bill

Please, no apology. I'm not trying to give you a hard time. It's just "cost type threads" and "is light X worth the money" threads using hit the crapper real fast. I'd almost guarentee that by morning, someone will start bashing some other light's cost or worth. My friendly post is only that we can not tell you if the light is worth its cost for you. Do I personally thing the Nautilus is worth the price? My answer is YES, but that's me. Have a good night.

MrBadExample

Newly Enlightened
I am very happy with mine, I have been using it for about 3 weeks now and it has been with me constantly. :thumbsup: I ended up putting it on my keychain....yes, I am ready to let it get scratched! :nana: Compared to some other lights I have purchased recently, this one is at the lower end of the price spectrum yet due to it's small size and high output I think it was a great deal considering it has ended up being used more often than some more expensive purchases. IMHO I think it's worth it but as always YMMV, caveat emptor......:devil: :naughty:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please, no apology. I'm not trying to give you a hard time. It's just "cost type threads" and "is light X worth the money" threads using hit the crapper real fast. I'd almost guarentee that by morning, someone will start bashing some other light's cost or worth. My friendly post is only that we can not tell you if the light is worth its cost for you. Do I personally thing the Nautilus is worth the price? My answer is YES, but that's me. Have a good night.

We'll Like I've said in other posts I'm not into bashing just facts. Maybe I shouldn't have brought price into the equation, I can see your point.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have posted an observation of Ti Nautilus and a proto

click here

Have been carrying the Ti version and it seems just right for pocket carry, very useful with 2 levels and "high" is very bright. Runtimes are exceptional and regulated based on posted information. Believe that I am only on 2nd battery!

Good Luck in your quest!!

jeffb

Farmer_Rob

Newly Enlightened
thks for showing me another "gotta" get light - lol

never apologize for sincere inquiries

da.gee

Enlightened
Thanks, I didn't know the Ion was the same company. I did not glance past the 50 lumen spec, but now that you mention it "duh" they look almost alike.

Thanks

Bill

I had that same duh moment. Don't think I want to get into CR2 stuff but if I did I would most certainly look at the ION based on my experience with the Nautilus to date. I actually like the look of the black better than the Ti in the Nautilus.

I am a fan of the Ion. I have two of them, one on each set of car keys, and I carry them daily. To me, it is one of the best CR2 lights in existence. That said, I am not a fan of the Nautilus. For one thing, the twist action on the light is just too stiff. Mine was almost impossible to turn without two hands. For another, the knurling on the Nautilus is not of the same quality as that on the Ion and to change levels from low to high takes so many turns that it discourages using two levels. For another, there are many interesting lights out there for the same or less money, that perform as well or better. Examples.

Amilite T5, about $80.00
Raw NS, about $150,00 w. charger and batteries and tritium
used HDS modified with Seoul, about $175.00
Fenix P-1D Q5, about $70.00

In my opinion, all of these lights out-perform the Nautilus, some of them by large margins, and so, to me, the Nautilus is not worth the money. In addition, a new HDS is coming out priced at $165.00 that may also be a contender for your $200.00.

bill lafferty

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've posted elsewhere on my early experience with the Muyshondt Nautilus (mine is the natural hardkote purchased from Greg over at Brightguy.com). just click on my screen-name or avatar and then click the appropriate link to see all Posts by user. it shouldn't be too difficult to find my Nautilus related Posts.

it is one of my EDC lights on my keychain in my right front pocket.

for a custom light, IMO, it's a good value. the HIGH mode is plenty bright and the LOW mode runs a long time.

as one has already posted, it takes a bit of twisting to actuate HIGH from the point at which LOW mode is first activated from the OFF position.

mine is moderately "stiff" (*NOT* tight or difficult to turn) and also SMOOTH - no grinding when twisting and no tendency to bind up when twisting, so no thread galling at all, IME (in my experience).

it cuts a sleeker "figure", so to speak than my Fenix P1-CE twisty (replaced on my keyring by the Nautilus), but is just a tad longer than the P1-CE. it feels much more robust than the Fenix though - high quality, robust construction, IMO.

beam pattern is very nice, IMO. no complaints at all in this regard.

so, what are the reasons, IMO, that someone would NOT want to purchase one?

1. price (please, don't confuse PRICE with the term VALUE). i personally feel that it is a VALUE among custom lights. however, $185 is a week's worth of groceries for a small family. only you can decide if your personal budget can spare $185.

2. if you want a small twisty light that very quickly goes from OFF to HIGH, then the Nautilus will, in this regard, be a bit of a disappointment. as another has said, and i +1, it takes some twisting (2 additional full range of motion for thumb and index finger while the other three fingers of the same hand grip the barrel of the light, or 3 additional partial twisting movements) to get the light to go from LOW to HIGH. this can be mitigated somewhat by twisting well past the initial LOW turn-on point when turning the light ON. i only make a point of this because i often have my other hand occupied and so can only use one hand to retrieve and turn-on a flashlight.

if you want "instant-HIGH", so to speak, and want the smallest possible CR123A package, go with a twisty, like the Fenix models P1-CE or P1D-CE or P1D-Q5. if you want a clicky, buy one of those Fenix lights and purchase from Lighthound.com the McClickey body+switch. i have a P1D-Q5 head with that McClickey which i EDC loose (i.e. NOT on a key ring or fob) in my left front pocket. it is quite a bit longer than the Nautilus though. for instant HIGH, i reach for the Fenix in my left front pocket. for lower initial turn-on output, i grab the Nautilus (on key-ring) in my right front pocket.

i also EDC a NovaTac 120P clipped to the entry of my left front pocket. while a significantly physically larger light than the Nautilus, it is a bit cheaper, and programmable. i have mine turn on at a very low level, but it is oh so simple to get it to the MAX [programmed] level that i could use it as a sole EDC if i so desired. if the 120P is NOT too large for your likes, then add it to your "short-list".

my two shekels.

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I thought that's why we're all here, to share are experiences with flashlights, the good, the bad, the costs, are they worth it..
That is EXACTLY why this forum exists. There was NOTHING WHATSOEVER wrong with your question.

It is completely normal to ask if users think an expensive light is worth it. You'll normally receive polite, well-thought out responses.

As you can see, several of the responses were well-reasoned, balanced, and FAR from "worthless".

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Joema thanks for being the first to say you saw nothing wrong with the question. I must of read Hitthespot question 100 times and was trying to figure out what i was missing.

737mechanic

Newly Enlightened
As you can see there are many worthwhile responses to your question, People need to remember that even if these responses didn't prove to be what the original poster was looking for people like me that read these usally learn something about a light that we have never heard of.

I didn't even know about this light until this thread so this was FAR from a worthless question because I got something out of it, and if I got something out of it chances are that someone else did to.

I use this forum all the time to see what light people think are worth having and what lights to avoid.

Sorry I can not comment on your question because I do not have that light but I 100 percent back you up on your right to post a good question.