LL Tactical Focus Lumens Question

Albinoni

Banned
Sorry bit confused here but can someone pls tell me how many lumens does the Led Lenser Tactical Focus 7438 (aka Hocus Focus) have. I've Googled it and one site says 85, another 65 and so forth.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Phantom,

Are we looking at the same graph?

About an hour to drop to half brightness, followed by another 3 - 4 hours of usable light doesn't seem all that bad for a direct drive light.

I believe a Mag 2D light drops to half brightness in around 15 minutes.

Of course, it would be much nicer if it was regulated...

Tom

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is bad. To 68% in 15 minutes, to 50% in 35 min, 20% after 2h. MagLED 2D keeps about 50% for 22 hours. DD is bad itself (except Li-Ion). Light should be bright for whole battery life, than output can drop to usable moon mode.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Direct-drive isn't necessarily bad. A current draw of 1000 mA from 3 AAA alkalines is bad. Throw some NiMH's in there and you've transformed the light into a near-regulated light. No, not fully regulated, but close. Plus you don't have to worry about a driver going bad.

Anyway, I'd estimate the stock 7438's to be about 60-80 out the front lumens, but due to the optic lens in it, it'll out-throw many lights that have twice the lumens. The Vf of the emitters varies widely... I've tested about 80 of these, and on fresh NiMH's they've pulled anywhere from 550 mA to 1500 mA at the start. Appartently Coast doesn't use emitters from the same Vf bin. :sick2:

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time to refresh (or reveal) manual skills and swap the emitter. Seoul P4 will double flashlight lumens (as you know). I'm new on CPF - is there any runtime plot on Ni-MH batteries?

PS. IMO feeding light with 3AAA is not a good idea:ohgeez:. Low capacity and expensive charger with separate channels disheartened me to many LL models.

Last edited:

Albinoni

Banned
If I were to switch over to say Sanyo Eneloops NiMH batts would I actually see an improvement in peformance compared to the standard Alkalines, as I'm planning to do this very soon.