New SF 6PL and 40% batteries?

bigfoot

Enlightened
Santa brought me a new SF 6PL for Christmas and I had a quick question. I pulled both cells out to test them on my ZTS Mini tester and one SF 123 cell tested out to 40-60% and the other at 40%. They are not damaged in any way and both have an expiration date of 06-2017. I conducted multiple tests just to confirm my findings.

So I guess what I am wondering is... does the 6PL (P60L LED module) draw some current from the batteries when it is off? I used the light for maybe a total of a couple of minutes and it is completely brand new.

Or does SF put some serious usage through each light and then ships the light with those partially-depleted batteries? Or is it something else I am missing?

Just to be safe I pulled out both cells and replaced them with some fresh SF 123's that tested at 100%.

Thanks in advance!

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bigfoot,

I think Santa got lost and had to borrow your light to get back on track... :)

I believe SureFire sends their lights out with new batteries.

Tom

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the package previously opened? Maybe it was a return? Maybe while on the store shelf, people tried out the light and someone got carried away and tried the light longer than a few seconds? Maybe it's a demo that was put out for people to try? Then sold later at a slight discount?

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very strange, I haven't heard of this before. Then again, I've stopped trusting my ZTS tester when it told me the same, brand new SF123a was at 100%, 40%, 80% etc.

Regards,
Tempest

o0o

Enlightened
I'm wondering if some 123s have a leakage issue/design flaw.

About 50% of my new 123 batteries test at less than 100% with both of my ZTS testers. I've had many unused 123s test at 20, 40, or 60% power with NO hint why.

These are American made 123 brands (Energizer, Duracell, Surefire), as well as China made Battery Station 123 batteries.

Either that or I'm not storing my new 123s properly.

My ZTS tester so far shows that my alkaline AA, C, and D batteries don't appear to leak to this level.

Tuna

Newly Enlightened
I have had my ZTS tester give inaccurate readings when the batteries that run the actual ZTS tester were almost dead. Just a thought...

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I remember reading that sometimes you have to kick start cells that have been dormant for a while. Put them in run for a few min than check them. Not sure if its true.

bigfoot

Enlightened
What's strange is I also tested the two batteries I pulled out of storage and tested them before swapping them into the 6PL. Both tested 100% on the ZTS. And both have been sitting in the SF box without having been used.

Light wasn't a demo and was new stock, nothing had been opened previously. In fact the plastic packaging SF uses really made me have to give the scissors a workout -- no way someone could have used it and then completely sealed it back up. Would have not been possible.

As far as the ZTS Mini tester goes, it is practically brand-new and is on fresh batteries.

So I am still stumped. Thanks for all the responses so far! Hmm... or maybe Santa really did need the 6PL to light the way. :D

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ZTS while a it is a good tester is not perfect. Unfortunately it is the best game in town for lithium cells. The zts has to be programmed with the right algorithm specific chemistry. If it is off if even by a little it will throw off the measurements.

I say toss the old batteries and use a new set in the light... Or just get what you can out of the run down cells.
Does it really matter? They were free right?

Yaesumofo

Santa brought me a new SF 6PL for Christmas and I had a quick question. I pulled both cells out to test them on my ZTS Mini tester and one SF 123 cell tested out to 40-60% and the other at 40%. They are not damaged in any way and both have an expiration date of 06-2017. I conducted multiple tests just to confirm my findings.

So I guess what I am wondering is... does the 6PL (P60L LED module) draw some current from the batteries when it is off? I used the light for maybe a total of a couple of minutes and it is completely brand new.

Or does SF put some serious usage through each light and then ships the light with those partially-depleted batteries? Or is it something else I am missing?

Just to be safe I pulled out both cells and replaced them with some fresh SF 123's that tested at 100%.

Thanks in advance!