Deal Extreme STINKS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
I ordered this drop-in http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6090 a month ago. I just got it today and lo and behold the reflector is crushed. The thing was just placed into a bubble wrap envelope without any other packaging to protect it. RIDICULOUS. You can tell where the drop-in was in the envelope when it was crushed. This is not the fault of the post office. It's the fault of DX not packaging their products properly. What a joke. I wrote them an email but no response yet. So far I've ordered three sets of lights in the past month from different vendors and there have been major problems with two of them. Sorry for the rant but this is getting ridiculous.

6090creedrop-in.jpg

I can't even unscrew the OP reflector because it's also bent near the threading...

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
NO amount of packaging would have protected the dropin from that (namely being run over). That aluminum at the base is 1/4 in thick.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! That thing is really smashed. Never saw anything damaged in the mail so badly.

Sucks man. Hopefully they will ship you another one.

MSax

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
NO amount of packaging would have protected the dropin from that (namely being run over). That aluminum at the base is 1/4 in thick.
DX should've at least tried to protect the drop-in. I was just placed inside the envelope with a very small plastic baggie.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's pretty crushed. They'd have to pack it in a wooden crate, or some kind of metal box, to protect it from whatever crushed that package. That package was subjected to abuse it shouldn't have received. Mine arrived okay.

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
Great!!!!
Now the lens just popped out from the LED. I was trying to bend it back into shape (don't try it, it's impossible) and the little lens popped out. I managed to unscrew the reflector but this thing is busted...

roymail

Enlightened
Deal Extreme has things I'd like to try (the 6090 is one of them) but it takes too long... when you can get stuff in the states in 3-4 days.

I agree that it should have been boxed... can't believe they just stuck it in a padded envelope.

I did order from them once but they were out of stock and refunded my payment. I'm sure you'll get your money back or a replacement... they'll probably give you the option. Let us know. :shakehead

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I have a friend who worked for a package company. He told me that they used to smash packages just for fun! If they saw a package with the label "handle carefully" they would use the package as a football! I got really mad with him for doing this, and it was really stupid to tell another person this and almost acting like he was proud over it! They even stole stuff when they saw something expensive they wanted, could be a amplifier or a laptop etc.

Everytime I see a package like yours I think of the numnuts in that package company!

Hope you get it sorted out!

tr098a

Newly Enlightened
A month!?!?!

Is that typical of DX? or just because it's around the Christmas period?

I ordered some stuff from ledshoppe (also in Hong Kong) and it took 11 days from when i ordered, back in oct/nov

awberke

Newly Enlightened
I completely agree with you. Just because they are a high volume, low cost wholesaler does not give them an excuse to have bad customer service, poor packaging, and shotty products.

I ordered a drop-in and a few little things on 12/2/07, i was told it shipped on 12/8/07, the shipping company stated it left HK on 12/18/07, a full 10 days after i was told. It is now 12/26/07 and i have not received my package. Absolutely ridiculous, never again.

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
A month!?!?!

Is that typical of DX? or just because it's around the Christmas period?

I ordered some stuff from ledshoppe (also in Hong Kong) and it took 11 days from when i ordered, back in oct/nov
According to DX, it was officially shipped on 11.29.07. I just got it today in my office. It may have came in over the weekend.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just placed inside the envelope with a very small plastic baggie.
Yeah, gotta hate it when companies or individuals do that to you. At least they could use a large plastic baggie so you don't feel cramped.

What sort of packaging do you think would prevent the sort of damage in your photo? As Luke said, it looks like it was run over, or had something heavy dropped on it (not just placed on it), and you said yourself it was impossible to straighten it. As WadeF mentioned, a solid block of wood with a hollow in the middle might do it, or a heavy, solid metal case even stronger than the reflector, but that would sure cost a lot to make and to ship.

DX's service is pretty slack these days compared to what it used to be like, but this really does look like poor handling in transit, outside of their control. They'll still send you another one, though. I know it's hard having to wait again but you can't expect zero risk from a cut-price etailer.

Delta

Enlightened
Well, I just ordered one of those Rominsen 1-CR123 lights that look like the Nuwaii/Blue Strike lights. Hopefully it comes in good order.

I've ordered several items from them and only had an issue with one light that I broke within 1 hour. Since I only paid $10, I figured I got what I paid for...even though everyone else loved theirs!

sabre7

Enlightened
Won't risk my money there-- I can get broken garbage for free. VOTE with your WALLET.
BTW I know a package handler at UPS he says the same thing about stomping fragile packages. It must be pretty funny in front of all your little buddies when you're 18...

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had pretty good luck with DX. Sometimes certain items take a long time, but I just order stuff, for hardly any money, and forget about it until it shows up.

The only thing I have outstanding right now are some blue GITD tail switch covers, but I got a shipping notification not to long ago so I'd expect them to show up this week or next.

dulridge

Enlightened
And exactly how is this damage DX' fault? Do you reckon they smashed it before they posted it? Would any packaging less than 20x the weight of the item (and therefore far more expensive to post) have saved it from a heavy impact that caused that damage?

Point your ire at the culprits who were almost certainly not DX. What would they gain by destroying stuff before they send it?

I'd rather pay less and take the chance myself. If you choose not do to so, but the items elsewhere at several times the price.

The real objection ought to be criminally bad handling of a posted item. Unless you believe that DX smashed the item prior to posting, this damage is NOT DX' fault so point your ire at the appropriate target.

Status
Not open for further replies.