Cree in MiniMag/AA...right.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard somewhere that someone has managed to create a Cree drop-in for a Minimag/AA. Does this creature exist? If so, this is going to be the last mod of 2007. No,really!

chiphead

LiteFan

Enlightened
The terralux has heat issues, although there is a work around that involves using a washer and thermal goo to make contact with the body which is supposed to work well.

It would be really cool if one of the "creative" enterprising people in this forum would either design a cree/soul/rebel dropin that was as at least as bright as a fenix cree and that could use alkaline and Lithium. I would be in for at least 5.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The terralux has heat issues, although there is a work around that involves using a washer and thermal goo to make contact with the body which is supposed to work well.

mine seems fine. it is still cool to the touch after 20 minutes of runtime

Spypro

Enlightened
I tried the washed and thermal goo mod and there is not more heat issue with my MM with TLE-5EX drop-in.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Chiphead. I've had some success with putting a Cree on a Sandwich From the Sandwich Shoppe.
If you're going to use akalines you'd be happiest with a MadMax wide open. Choose the MadMax light one for longer runtime and cooler running or the MadMax plus for more power (uugghh uuugghh).
If you're going to use nims, a bad boy 750 should light that Cree up just wonderfully. Same with the Nexgen.
My personal MiniMag sleeper is an SOB (Son Of Buck down converter) 917 driving a Cree Q5. Power is supplied by two AW 14500 LiIons. It gets incredible birghtness with well over an hour runtime in full regualtion.
Here are the catches:
It's a little tricky to get the Cree on the Sandwich Shoppe emitter board. The conrers have to be cut off the Cree for two reasons:1) There are electrically conductive vias on each corner connecting the top of the substrate to the bottom. The bottom contacts have to be isolated so the LED can be Artic Alumina epoxied to the circuit board without shorting. 2) The corners of the LED won't fit in the lip of the MM body. The LED needs to be connected to the terminal posts that were intended for the Luxeon LED. Kynar or wire wrap wire works for that purpose but it's tricky to solder..
The second catch: The reflector I'm using is an IMS 20 that's been modded for the Cree. The hole is enlarged to fit the metal ring on the cree and the back side has been sanded.. about .020 inch if I remember correctly. I haven't experimented with other reflectors. Maybe someone can chime in here.
Well I've said my 2¢ worth.....

Edit: If I recall correctly, I put a Cree P3 on a MadMax Lite that belongs to PlayboyJoeShmoe. Mebbe you could PM him and ask........

Last edited:

garence

Newly Enlightened
Well, I don't know why anyone would really want to go through the trouble of experimenting with high powered Cree LED's in a Minimag, as the light wasn't designed for it. You might as well invest the upgrade costs towards an even better 2xAA light from DX, such as a Romisen.

I used the Arcmania SMJLED upgrade for $7 in my Minimag and wow--what a difference. I had two moderately weak batteries in place, tested them with the OEM bulb, and then swapped it for the LED--the brightness increase was definitely noticeable. It's bright enough for basic light purposes. There's a slight yellow doughnut, but overall it produces a very respectable spot and spill. So at that price, the improvement was well worth it. Also do the lens upgrade to glass; nice crisp beam.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my Terralux Cree MiniMag drop-in for several months now, and I've had no heat issues, or any other issues with the drop-in. I love it and would highly recommend it. Just drop-it in and go, no additional modifications necessary IME.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
but did you guys run it 20 minutes straight or just a few minutes at a time for a total of 20 min. cuz a few minutes here and there will be fine but on a longer burn of like 10 minutes straight the heat WILL build up and dim the light output ....also check the ma current on multimeter maybe they tuned it down below the 700ma old style so it runs cooler thus still a bright light at say 450-500ma but not as bright as 700ma :)

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my Terralux Cree MiniMag drop-in for several months now, and I've had no heat issues, or any other issues with the drop-in. I love it and would highly recommend it. Just drop-it in and go, no additional modifications necessary IME.

How's the beam quality, rings in the beam?

Any beam shots?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chiphead. I've had some success with putting a Cree on a Sandwich From the Sandwich Shoppe.
If you're going to use akalines you'd be happiest with a MadMax wide open. Choose the MadMax light one for longer runtime and cooler running or the MadMax plus for more power (uugghh uuugghh).
If you're going to use nims, a bad boy 750 should light that Cree up just wonderfully. Same with the Nexgen.
My personal MiniMag sleeper is an SOB (Son Of Buck down converter) 917 driving a Cree Q5. Power is supplied by two AW 14500 LiIons. It gets incredible birghtness with well over an hour runtime in full regualtion.
Here are the catches:
It's a little tricky to get the Cree on the Sandwich Shoppe emitter board. The conrers have to be cut off the Cree for two reasons:1) There are electrically conductive vias on each corner connecting the top of the substrate to the bottom. The bottom contacts have to be isolated so the LED can be Artic Alumina epoxied to the circuit board without shorting. 2) The corners of the LED won't fit in the lip of the MM body. The LED needs to be connected to the terminal posts that were intended for the Luxeon LED. Kynar or wire wrap wire works for that purpose but it's tricky to solder..
The second catch: The reflector I'm using is an IMS 20 that's been modded for the Cree. The hole is enlarged to fit the metal ring on the cree and the back side has been sanded.. about .020 inch if I remember correctly. I haven't experimented with other reflectors. Maybe someone can chime in here.
Well I've said my 2¢ worth.....

Edit: If I recall correctly, I put a Cree P3 on a MadMax Lite that belongs to PlayboyJoeShmoe. Mebbe you could PM him and ask........

Thanks guy!

chiphead

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds good!
chiphead