Malkoff        

Thread: Replacing a KL1 Luxeon

Enlightened

Default Replacing a KL1 Luxeon

As I mentioned in another thread, I got a KL1 with a terribly <font color="purple">purple</font> Luxeon with a deep purple spot outside the main beam.

I ordered a low dome (MW1C) and high dome (MW1D) from The LED Light and I must say they were both exceptional bin quality - better than even my ARC LS. A public thanks to The LED Light!

Anyhow, for those wondering, replacement is really pretty easy. You don't even need to remove the second ring - only the bezel. I simply heated it up to break the Lock-Tite bond and used one of those rubber "jar openers" to get a grip. No tools necessary other than a socket to hold the body.

The Luxeon is only held in place by the optic and can be pulled out to unsolder the wires. Slightly ease the corners on the new MW1C or D, resolder the wires, and a little heat sink compound. I also had to remove some metal from the base to get the wires to clear when seated but that was it!

My KL1 is now perfect where it was barely acceptable before. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Default Re: Replacing a KL1 Luxeon

nice job!

you should try it with different colors!

Flashaholic*

I've got kind of a OT question after reading your post mhejl. I unscrewed the top cap of my KL1 while trying to remove the KL1 from my E2e. I am now assuming that it usually comes loc-tited. Any thoughts on this? thanks. dtsoll

my guess is that they forgot it...

...or, you have superhuman strength, and put the entire bezel on too tight, and tried to remove it with only the very top part [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Rothrandir,
    Yes, you are correct, it is the superhuman strength I possess......what? No I mean, I believe they did forget the loctite on mine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] dtsoll

Enlightened

I'm not sure the compound is Lock-Tite (tm) 'cause its black rather than the typical blue or red. They must have forgotten it on yours. Is your Luxeon a decent quality?

Colors? Sounds like a good idea but its just tedious enough that I don't really want to switch back and forth. Hey, how about a plug-in socket mod?