Have SF L4, Very Confused on more light

PhillyGlock23

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!

I want to thank you for allowing me to register with your forum, and I look forward to learning a lot more about the subject matter.

As a first order of business, I am thoroughly confused about what my options are (and more specifically what my best options are) with my Surefire L4.

I currently own the Surefire L4, and I would like to be able to maximize the lumen output. It's rated at 100 lumens by Surefire, but I'm having a difficult time finding any information on a bulb (?) that I could drop into the unit in order to give it more (hopefully a lot more) lumens than 100.

Could somebody help point me in the right direction? Also, if it's not possible to get a drop in bulb for the L4 that would increase its lumens, would I be better off buying a different surefire (similar in size, perhaps, to the L4) and mating it with a recommended drop in bulb?

Thanks in advance for helping to guide me in the right direction. I look forward to all of your responses!

--Dan

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
There are no simple dropin replacements for the L4's LED. You can't just unscrew the head and take out the led, it needs to be modded. Try searching for CPF member milkyspit. He does these type of mods. Shend him a pm and see what he says. And :welcome:

AaronM

Enlightened
The only guy I know of who might be able to help is Milkyspit.
Use the CPF/google search feature and type in "milky L4"
and you'll probably find something usefull.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to cpf! I have learned more about lights (of course it is now changing so fast) here in 2 years, than I did as a hobbiest on my own for 20 years.

First your light, if it is a SF L4, uses a luxeon 5 led. The L4 is a very well made flood (illuminates a wide area well vs. illuminates a small area well, but at greater distances) type light.

I believe that the L4 bezel is the bright led bezel you can get for your light. There is a KX2 cree (new type of lead that can be very bright (brighter than luxeon leds) but is very effecient on battery usage. Sometimes cree leds are set up not to use a lot of current, so you get a decently bright light (45 lumens) but for 9 hours without dimming. That is what SF did with the KX2 bezel. So, you can get another bezel (head) for your light, but it will not be brighter, just longer running. SF does not make any over 100 lumen leds at this time, but keep your eyes open, things change quickly these days.

If you want a brighter light, that illuminates a larger area, and still are happy using 123a batteries, I would recomend a Fenix T1. They can be had from the Fenix Store or PTS (pacafic tactical solutions) It puts out over 200 lumens on high, 60 on low, and the batteries last for 70+ minutes or 12 hours depending on which mode.

There are a bunch (30-70) other lights that may be better for you then the Fenix T1. Check out the reviews section. There are some great lights reviewed there.

The brightest type of led right now, is the Cree Q5 led. It can be over 200 lumens at the led. Another new type of led is the luxeon k2 and finally seoul leds. Any of these will give you good brightness and good runtimes.

Enjoy this place. You will learn and spend a lot here!

PhillyGlock23

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, everyone, for the great information thus far! I'll definitely take your advice and guidance.

Have a great evening!

--Dan

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The newer LEDs, the Cree XR-E P4-R2 bins, Seoul P4 U bins, the Luxeon Rebel 100 and newer K2s(None of the newer K2s are used in flashlights that I know of) have twice or more the efficiency of the Luxeon V, so for the same power the will have twice or more the output.

But in actual use, they are similar in output because at the same current, the Luxeon V is taking in twice the power so it make up for the half in efficiency.

Your best bet would be to send it to Milkyspit to be modded if you want to keep the floody beam. He should be able to bump the light to 150 lumen out the front with a runtime of at least 1.5 hour.

The KX2 has a different beam pattern.

:welcome:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome and hold on to your wallet ;)

I have a Surefire L4 and it is often described on CPF as a "wall of light" or perhaps more "flood", as compared to "throw or concentrated "beam" of light.

I prefer Luxeon V LED's for lighting up an area (backyard, room etc.) and sometimes carry a small CR2 Ion that has a flood beam and is great for close up and reading.

After trying "throw" lights and very bright lights, you may find that you really like the L4 ( I do!!)

The beauty of CPf is that you will find an abundance of available lights of all sizes, battery power, beam shapes, materials (aluminum, Ti and many more) and COST:devil:. As has been mentioned, lights can be modded and are often built to a certain specification for specific use, run time, etc.

Many have multiple lights for different needs and use and you will also find many opinions regarding same!!

Enjoy the ride :wave:

jeffb

PhillyGlock23

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for all the great information and for taking the time to share!

All the best,

Dan

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
While it is not out yet. this may be the exact thing you are looking for:This is a replacement head (not just the Led, but the whole head) for a surefire E-series light (which includes the L4).

This head is based on a Cree Q5 led, which is one of the best currently available. If Optics HQ succeeds, this will be a very popular product as many CPFers love their Surefires, but want the newer (and more heavily driven) Leds, which SF does not yet offer.

I'll definitely buy one. I have an old E2E, which could an upgrade to a Q5 bin Cree.