Novatac with a different badge. (Cheap for LEO's)

Rat6P

Enlightened
Found this..........
http://www.spa-defense.com/spl_120.htm

Seems to be the novatac with the vendors name on it instead.
According to website they are (atleast one, R model??) programmable....though I'm not entirely sure on that.

Anyway the price is only $120 versus the current $180 some are asking
But seems to be anly LEO's can buy from here.

Thought some one in that occupation may be interested....

rat6p

Patriot

Flashaholic
Places that sell their flashlights only to LEO, as if the general public isn't capable of owning such things, really tick me off. Honestly they can get screwed. I should mention that I work with and respect all LEO and my problem is with the retailer not them.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
interesting...knockoff or NovaTac specifically catering to LEO?(under a diff name?)

Mayo

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a knockoff, NovaTac is mentioned by name on the page. They do cater extensively to the police and military markets, and I wouldn't be surprised if the lights this website is offering were from the production run that delayed the light's release to the public.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
This particular item isn't a restricted item. I just went all the way through it short of ordering one - it's not stopping me.

On a side note - I am former LEO and one of my side businesses is a tactical products and training shop.

Even then, it didn't ask me for anything special like my department ID or anything like that.

-Steve

Rat6P

Enlightened
Well Ive already got an 85P on order so I'll have my fix for a little while.

Just wondering though according to this.......
http://www.spa-defense.com/faqs.htm
So is the rebranded novatac considered part of the SPA Defense tactical line?
That said maybe it is still possible to go through the whole ordering process (as Beastmaster said) and even get it delivered :naughty:.

But what I was curious about was is it really the programmable version or just the T version......one page says "...fully programmable..." and when u actually go to order it it has "(Factory Set)" written in brackets....Implying its a T series...yes??? no???

If it is the P series then its seems like a bargain compared to others......
If it is the T series...well its a little cheaper..but nothing really to write home about imho. ( though savings are savings)

rat6p

Last edited:

daveman

Enlightened
This particular item isn't a restricted item. I just went all the way through it short of ordering one - it's not stopping me.

On a side note - I am former LEO and one of my side businesses is a tactical products and training shop.

Even then, it didn't ask me for anything special like my department ID or anything like that.

-Steve
What most likely would've happened if you had ordered it is someone from the company will email you asking for proof of law enforcement status. I tried to buy a certain restricted item once and finally found one online merchant who didn't ask for anything during checkout, only to have the sale stopped afterwards in a email exchange.

garence

Newly Enlightened
What most likely would've happened if you had ordered it is someone from the company will email you asking for proof of law enforcement status. I tried to buy a certain restricted item once and finally found one online merchant who didn't ask for anything during checkout, only to have the sale stopped afterwards in a email exchange.
Well, I have to expect certain items would definitely be up for verification, such as a weapon (gun, knife, stun gun, etc). An order consisting only of a flashlight is likely too mundane to warrant a checkup.

However, although their website description states "The SPL-120 has 22 available brightness levels." "The SPL-120 offers four configurable brightness settings, ranging from 0.3 lumens to 120 lumens", I looked up the details about the EDC-120T on the Novatac website and I'm afraid this is indeed the Tactical model. The "Tactical (factory set)" settings clause on the item in the shopping cart definitely suggests the EDC-120T Tactical model. I think they used the default text from Novatac and then qualified it further by saying it is the Tactical model, but only once it is added to the shopping cart. Also, in the shopping cart the item switches from the SPL-120(R) or SPL-120(F) to SPL-120T. That suffix matches the Novatac model naming convention for the tactical version. This is actually misleading and I've notified them of the discrepancy.

Last edited:

daveman

Enlightened
The item I tried to buy was a knife/LED/handcuff key combo. Not especially lethal, as they can all be individually bought from somewhere else.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reality of this web site is that they have very few items for sale. I supect thet they would welcome ANY sales they can generate.

Good deal.
I woncder who you send the light to it you have a problem. SPA ? or novatac?
Yaesumofo

garence

Newly Enlightened
The reality of this web site is that they have very few items for sale. I supect thet they would welcome ANY sales they can generate.

Good deal. I woncder who you send the light to it you have a problem. SPA ? or novatac?
Yaesumofo
Good point... the "LEO only" may just be a little cachet they're trying to muster, but in reality they'll take any order (at least until the GSA Schedule contract switches from Pending to Active. ;) I suspect a problem with the light outside of the return policy period would mean sending it to Novatac. It is made by them and Spa Defense does show the Novatac logo/name in the product detail.

MedusaOblongata

Newly Enlightened
I have no experience with the website in question, but I've ordered a number of "restricted" items from different websites in the past that state, quite clearly, that they will only sell such restricted items after they have received proof or military or LEO status, such as a purchase order on official letterhead. With nothing resembling that, I just placed my order through the website and a few days later my "restricted" item showed up in the mail. I think some websites put such disclaimers up to reduce the likelihood that they'll be hassled by authorities for selling "restricted" items, and others may put such disclaimers up only to generate sales. Again, I have no experience with the website in question, but if I was interested in ordering from them, I'd go ahead and place the order, and then see what happens. The worst thing that could happen is that the order is canceled when you fail to produce documentation, but that would be pretty silly for a flashlight.

garence

Newly Enlightened
FYI, I just received a response from Tony Giorgio, the CEO of Spa Defense. The SPL-120(R) and SPL-120(F) are indeed the EDC-120T. They do have the SPL-120P in stock, but not on the website. I'm waiting to hear from him on the pricing.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Hmm...interesting invoice. Here's the text from it - redacted a bit.

I'm order # 6 - WHEE!

-Steve

------------
You have received this notification from SPA Defense because you are a registered user or you or some other registered user requested some information for you from our store.
Dear Mr. Steve Yee,
Thank you for your order. Please come back soon!
Invoice:

Invoice

Date: 12-27-2007 1:59:50
Order id: #6
Order status: Processed
Payment method:
Credit Card Payment
Delivery method:
UPS Ground SPA Defense
3409 N.W. 9th Ave Suite 1104, Ft. Lauderdale
33309, Florida
United States
CALL US: 954-568-7690
Fax: (954) 630-4159
E-Mail: [email protected]

Company: Tax number:
First Name: Steve Last Name: Yee Phone:
Fax:
E-Mail:
URL:

Billing Address Shipping Address Address:
City:
State:
Zip/Postal code:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip/Postal code:

Products ordered SKU Product Item price Quantity Total
SPA-054 SPL-120T(R) $120.00 1 $120.00 Subtotal: $120.00 Shipping cost: $5.06 Total: $125.06

Thank you for your purchase! Thank you for using our shopping system SPA Defense
Phone: 954-568-7690
Fax: (954) 630-4159
URL: www.spa-defense.com

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, $5 shipping isn't bad. And no mention of the different clip from anyone? Anyone ask if Novatac will warranty these too?
And what's up with the black and natural/tan finishes? What a mystery you've uncovered Rat!

edit-Ok, I just emailed Novatac instead of asking questions aloud to thin air... I'll post any response I get.

Last edited:

garence

Newly Enlightened
OK, this is a sleeper deal. :D

I got a response from Tony Giorgio--the SPL-120P is also $120. No difference in price! So, if you place an order be sure to state in the instructions that you want the SPL-120P and not the SPL-120T, if you want the EDC-120P equivalent. I think the SPL-120P comes with a flat switch, but I didn't ask if there is a raised switch option (as provided with the Tactical SPL-120T; either (R) or (F) selected options).

I didn't ask about the warranty, but judging how Novatac has such excellent customer service and this light is clearly a Novatac light (it is only re-labeled for SPA Defense), there shouldn't be any problem getting support from Novatac.

Last edited:

garence

Newly Enlightened
FWIW, I did notice that TAD Gear has the EDC-120P for $150, which includes shipping plus CR123 batteries. Not as good as SPA Defense, but it's an alternative. Too bad TAD doesn't have a CPF discount. :broke:

Btw, does the LeefBezel that fits the HDS EDC and McGizmo PD also fit the EDC-120P?

Last edited: