Surefire M3T or Streamlight UltraStinger

Wick

Newly Enlightened
Topic pretty much says it all. Which do you all like better. Better throw, brighter, whiter light???

Or maybe I should just get the HP head for the Stinger i currently own?

Rechargable vs 123s is not a big deal to me nor is the lamp assembly price for the M3T.

I think one of these is my next purchase...just wondering if the M3T is worth the extra cash up front and in the long run.

ToddM

Enlightened
I just looked at this question myself. From the posts I've read the ultrastinger will out throw all the surefire's (turbohead or not) except the 10x for pure distance.

Since I was looking for something to be a long distance unit that was the one I leaned to. I just picked up a M3 and it's a great light, love it. I have no doubt the M3 will take more abuse, but I don't really require that of this particular light. If it was going to be a duty light or a EDC light then sure.

I do like the pyrex lens, smaller size of the M3T but for me initial cost and run cost were issues as well and the ultrastinger has it beat hands down there. Since it's less than half the price and much cheaper to run. It's also nice that dare I say it I don't think there is a surefire dealer in this state. However, we have several streamlight dealers so getting parts in a pinch is easy as well.

For me it basically came down to that the M3T with it's larger turbo head would not be a every day carry item anyway, so the extra size of the ultrastinger was not a issue for me. That and with the turbo head the whole idea is the tightest long distance throw beam you can get. Well the ultrastinger beats it there too. I also liked that the ultrastinger had a focus option so if needed it could do a wider area duty as well. Though granted probably without as smooth of a beam.

On the other hand the M3 with a turbo option and 2 bulb options is probably one of the most versitile lights there is. However for pure light output in a small long reaching beam the ultrastinger wins.

Todd

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ToddM:
[QB

However for pure light output in a small long reaching beam the ultrastinger wins.

Todd[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Todd,

The SF 9P with very compact 2.5" SRTH turbohead and N2 lamp comes within a few percentage points of the Ultrastinger in a much shorter, lighter body that is very easy to carry. The catch? It IS expensive to run unless you use it sparingly for very brief on-periods.

Brightnorm

ToddM

Enlightened
As far as I know there is only one model of the ultrastinger. It's a newer model larger than the plain stinger it has a larger dia. head for tighter focus and a larger battery to power the higher watt bulb.

Brightnorm,

That's interesting, is the SRTH turbo head a tighter beam than the surefire model? Just curious cause I thought someone had posted that the ultrastinger was throwing a farther beam than even the M3T with the 225 lumen bulb. If the 9P with a SRTH and a 105 lumen bulb would keep up I bet it would be really amazing with the 225 lumen M3 turbo bulb (if they fit in the same head). Again though as ya said expensive to buy and run.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had mine sitting around for a month with intermittent use without any visable power loss.
smile.gif

ToddM

Enlightened
This is a pretty bad ballpark guess but looking at energizer's nicad data sheets and going with their middle of the road (they give a shaded range of self discharge).

Their nicads anyway loose about 20% of their runtime in the first month. 50% in about 3 months. 60% or so in 5 months. That's at room temperature. At higher temps they self discharge faster, at lower temps slower of course.

So since nicads will hold their voltage pretty much solid for 90% of their charge even after 3-4 months you should have very bright light, but probably only half your runtime or a little less.

I'd think if a person had a rapid/smart charger like the surefire or the ultrastinger topping them off once a month would be a good idea.

If anyone is curious their date sheets on their nimh cells seem to indicate that nimh loose about 40-45% of their capacity in the first month at 25 deg C. So their self discharge rate is double at least for the first month.

Todd