Just received UK SL6

Roberts

Newly Enlightened
Just received my UK SL6 from Texas Tactical Supply(great price, fast shipping - I'll deal with them again)Took it out tonight and it is now my favorite incadesent. I needed another option aside from the Princeton Tec Surge, because of the problems I read about concerning the bulb failures, and I have no regrets. The beam is tight and throws a very good distance. Seems fairly bulletproof, too. My LW 4000 is still my favorite for indoor uses, but the SL6 will stay with me outdoors. And at $30 from Texas Tactical, I think it is a great deal, even considering the cost of replacement lamp assemblies.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I've never regretted getting my SL6. I even found a big old cellphone nylon clipon holster for it, though it's certainly no EDC light.

Brightnorm

Kaneda

Newly Enlightened
The UKE SL6 is a very good light for a very good price.
You can even use it as a dive light which I like very much
although I've not taken it on a night dive so far
(lack of possibility to do so... maybe this summer?).
Are any divers out there who have experiences with UKE SL6 as a diving light ?

Kaneda

Monsters_Inc

Banned
My cousin, a non-flashaholic, is an avid diver uses the SL6 as his primary light during day dives. Having witnessed it underwater, I can tell you there's no such thing as too bright when you're in the wet stuff. And the SL6 being the brightest non-spotlight type dive light I know of is certainly up to the task. Although I've read the Ikelite PC (4C cells) is said to be as bright or brighter than the SL6 - maybe someone wants to get one of those to try out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Some may find the switch cumbersome for non-dive purposes but with neoprene gloves on it makes sense and there's no fumbling or confusion to switch the light on/off.

Compared to my teeny Surge - I could hardly make out the hotspot under murky Sydney coastal water. The SL6 shines.

Kaneda

Newly Enlightened
@Onyx: Your information was quite useful.I think I won't buy the PT Surge after you wrote that UKE SL6 works better underwater than PT Surge.
I'll spend the money on another light, I guess...

Kaneda

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Onyx said:
.... Although I've read the Ikelite PC (4C cells) is said to be as bright or brighter than the SL6 - maybe someone wants to get one of those to try out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.....

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first got my Ikelite 4C I was astounded by the remarkably bright, intensely white light. I was less astounded a few minutes later when the overdriven bulb dropped to an unimpressive level as the "no free lunch" principal asserted itself. There's another bulb for the Ikelite that is significantly dimmer.

I prefer the UK 4C which has a very bright, relatively long lasting beam. The Pelican 4C also is very bright but its beam is even narrower than the UK's and I have found the very large bezel cumbersome.

Please note that I am not a diver and use my lights almost exclusively on land, so my recommendations for underwater use should be taken with that in mind. That said, it stands to reason that if light A is brighter than light B on land, it should maintain that relationship underwater.

Brightnorm