Have L1 Cree do I need E1L OR E2L ?

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I did buy a L1 Cree. Great light. I am now looking for a long runtime. I see that the E2L may fit the bill. 45 lumens for 9 hours is awesome. I also looked at the E1L but it has lower output, I am thinking it may be close in output to the L1 i already have. What do you think? How is the beam on the E2L Cree?

Appreciated

Chris

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
E2L - Beautiful beam color and spot, closer to 60 Lu. Same brightness with expected less runtime on AW 17670, plus my AW cell fit's in the factory tube! Love it.

Numbers

Enlightened
My E2L has about the same color tint as my L1, however it has a much nicer and cleaner beam (on a white wall) than my L1. I have it for the run time and to carry spare batteries for the L1- it stays in my bag. After useing the L1 as an EDC the E2L SEEMS way too long to carry.

planex

Newly Enlightened
Your L1 definately needs company. I think the E2L Cree would be great since you already have the L1. I find the brightness to be just right, not too bright, not too dim, and for 9 regulated hours. A real performer in a compact package.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more question.
How to insert the batteries??? From what I am reading is from the "wrong" end not from the tail cap switch end???? I would not like to insert the batteries from the wrong end........Can anybody confirm?

Appreciated

Chris

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You got to take the head off and put the positive towards the head, they won't possibly go in from the tail end. It's just too small!

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
i got an e2l cree fox xmas and the batteries go in the front end. there is a lil lip built into the tail end of the tube that prevents the batteries from being inserted that way.

the regulation chart for the e2l cree is beautiful, posted by a cpf'er here. it stays at virtually 100% for 9+ hours whereas i see other runtimes where it drops from 100 to like 90% very quickly for most of the regulated runtime.

i find the e2l cree light to be exactly what i need for everyday usage. great big hotspot, very smooth spill though that could be brighter, nice amount of throw for a night hike, general camping or other such normal usage, just the right brightness so that if you use it for close applications like reading something, it is not too bright. not much more brightness and u would not be able to use it very close quarters.

definitely a great balance of everything. and that runtime, oh my. i am a sucker for runtime the few times i go camping a year runtime is a big thing to me. i know ill forget batteries :) i am also a sucker for runtime since it also saves you a ton of money. 9 hours on 2 123's for all the light you most likely need is fantastic.

and god forbid anything ever happens where u need light for alonger time, that runtime makes me feel good and safe. though of course, maybe having a thrower would be nice too in such a situation as well.

Last edited:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strange for Surefire to do this.....does anybody has any pics....?

Chris

Some other models such as the E1e and E2e work in this way, too. Not too sure why they did it. Possibly something to do with the smaller body diameter compared to C/P/M series models...but I'm just guessing.

Regards,
Tempest

Size15's

Flashaholic
Some other models such as the E1e and E2e work in this way, too. Not too sure why they did it. Possibly something to do with the smaller body diameter compared to C/P/M series models...but I'm just guessing.

Regards,
Tempest
That's right - in order for the SF123A batteries to be able to fit through the TailCap-end of the body the threads for the TailCap need to be outside the diameter of the SF123A batteries making the flashlight body diameter wider as a result - 1" diameter for the standard bodies (6P etc).
By 'closing' the TailCap end of the body to SF123A ingress/egress the TailCap threads can be smaller diameter and as a result the whole flashlight body can be smaller diameter (0.8" for the E-Series)

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
That's right - in order for the SF123A batteries to be able to fit through the TailCap-end of the body the threads for the TailCap need to be outside the diameter of the SF123A batteries making the flashlight body diameter wider as a result - 1" diameter for the standard bodies (6P etc).
By 'closing' the TailCap end of the body to SF123A ingress/egress the TailCap threads can be smaller diameter and as a result the whole flashlight body can be smaller diameter (0.8" for the E-Series)

ahhh yes.

since the head diameter is already bigger, makes sense to just use that side.

smart. even if it saves a mm that is worth it.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess Paul Kim doing his best work for end user, again....smart guy.
All what Size 15 said makes sense.
I think this is another reason why Surefire is well regarded. I think this is something that cannot be measured but appreciated and understood.

Chris

gottawearshades

Enlightened
I have an E1L in addition to the L1.

The E1L is perfect for mostly around the house, and I feed all my old primaries to it. It completes the food chain of my primary 123As.

Cheers

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have almost pulled the trigger on an E2L cree to go with my L1 cree. However, I just couldn't do it. The L1's low is bright enough for standard use and still gives great runtime, on one cell! The high is there when you need it. I actually bought a P3D Q5 for extended runtime (I know the arguments of "bet your life on a SureFire" not a Fenix, so please spare me). The medium will run just as long, if not longer, than the E2L in regulation and the turbo is there if you need it. Don't get me wrong, though, it's no replacement for my L1. It's a great light!

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I have the L1 and multiple E1L's. I actually carry the E1L/KX1 far more than the L1.

So - it's all in the eye of the beholder.

-Steve

bouncer

Enlightened
what you really need is a little more spread .I have not tried the L1, yet But the E1l I like. Now the L4 that is a light every surfire owner should have one of even if it is not a cree. Kind of in a toss up my next light is either going to be a L1 cree or a novatac 120T

Last edited:

Spence

Enlightened
Every SF 1" bezel light owner should have a SF #F04 beam shaper "Diffuser" filter, $12 from SureFire's website. It doubles the usefulness of all their 1" lights by spreading out the beam to fill a room or for working up close. It just slips on and off and goes in a pocket. Also, in the camping dept at Wal-Mart, you can find a waterproof match holder for less than a buck, and it holds two CR123's perfectly, for your pocket (the same thing sells for $2.99 at Lighthound). I've also found electronic media cases, zippered, that hold 6 CR123's for less than $5, in the electronics section of K-Mart (alot cheaper than the $17 SF battery carriers). However, I have an SF SC1 carrier and they are cool.
:thumbsup:
grinser2.gif
naughty.gif