Turbo mode question - P3D Premium Q5

ripley

Newly Enlightened
The Short - Turbo mode doesn't seem as bright as it should be.

The Long - I got this light for Christmas. I put in some new 123s and started playing with it. Figured out how to do most of the mode switching then read the manual. Here's the issue. When in General Mode, bezel twisted, I get all four modes. But when I put in on the brightest setting and then twist the bezel for Turbo mode it barely gets brighter. Definitely not the 120 to 215 lumen change it should be. I can switch between Turbo and Strobe but the brightness doesn't seem to be there. Any advice?

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
first of all, those "lumens" are bulb lumens, not "out the front lumens"

but secondly. you eye has a hard time seeing a lumen change of such a RELATIVELY small amount.

I have a Q5 P2D, and there is a difference between turbo and high, but it isnt a HUGE difference.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
in my experience, using just the unaided eye, a 50% increase or decrease in light is easily noticeable in most situations, but it is NOT overwhelming. now HIGH and TURBO on the P3D-Q5 is just a bit >50% , i realize that but not too much more (prob. ~55% or so if my mind is working right). i'm only stating that 50% change is not overly "wowing" with many lights (there can be some factors for this - one is mentioned next, so please read on...)

another point worth mentioning is that, i, personally, can notice the difference more easily with SMOOTH reflector lights which have a very distinct bright central spot. if the light has a textured reflector, then the overall increase in light output from HIGH to TURBO is spread out over a larger area and it is not as "wowing", so to speak when switched b/t these two modes as it is with similar model lights with SMOOTH reflectors.

so, which reflector type does your light have? [no need to reply - it's just a question for you to ask yourself.]

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
Yeah, I think you need a 4x increase in light for the eyes/brain to percieve it as twice the power. Turbo mode isn't even twice the power of high so it will be seen as less than a quarter increase.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, you will notice that on Turbo, your batteries last a lot shorter than on High ;) Something like half the life, significant enough to be noticed. You will also notice that the light is way hotter on Turbo than on High.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have probably been trying this inside at short distances, like from the couch to the wall. In my experience you can barely notice the difference from high to turbo in this situation.

Make double sure both batteries are fresh. Go outside and shine the light on a tree at 25 yards on high. Then turn the light to turbo. In my experience this is where you will get the most noticible difference.

Let me know.

Bill

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 to all the above. Look for throw, you will notice that turbo goes further, or at least, lights stuff up more then primary, at the same far-ish distance.

Crenshaw