E2L - Could extended runtime cause non-white tints?

watchdog2001

Newly Enlightened
Got a Surefire E2L for Christmas. As CPFers do, I did a little comparison against other lights, namely a Streamlight TL-2 LED and a Fenix L2D Cree. Needless to say, the E2L has the most perfect shaped uniform beam but it is by far the greenish/yellowish tint of the three. I was wondering if as a result of getting "Extended Runtime" out of the Cree you are more likely to get a more non-white tint because it is being under-driven? Any thoughts on this theory?

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
generally, yes, being underdriven makes the tint less white. But a CREE at any current will have a whiter tint than a rebel (if it's not defective).

Size15's

Flashaholic
Isn't it perhap an assumption that SureFire is [still] using Cree XR-E LEDs in its KX1/KX2/L1/X300 bezels since it's rather difficult to tell due to the TIR optic without opening the particular bezel up (which is difficult and voids the warranty)

Anyway, I'm not sure whether the LED being a Cree or SSC makes a differs to the thread...

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I understand, it's heat build up that can cause tint shifts as it actually damages the emitter. However, give the ultra-low consumption and completely cool-running design, I'd imagine the emitter will hold up for many, many hundreds of hours to come!

watchdog2001

Newly Enlightened
After reading Size15s post, I went back and compared the emitters from my Fenix L2D and my Surefire E2L. The Fenix Cree emitter has a distinct bond wire and within the glass emitter enclosure, you can see a yellow rectangle. The E2L Cree emitter doesn't seem to have as distinct bond wire (I think I see a very faint one) nor can I pick out the a yellow rectangle, basically it looks like a little yellow bulb. Maybe TIR optic on the E2L disguises the similarities between the two emitters or they might just be two different types of Crees which might the greenish (or should I say warmness) of the E2L.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
My E2L is a Cree, and is going quite well with a white/creamy color. I know it's a cree because I'm looking at it, and it's a cree. Pretty simple to me, anyway I like my my E2l. Especially since my STOCK E2L holds an AW 17670 cell just fine, and runs for hours still at regulation.