Air purifiers/ionizers

Chuck289

Enlightened
Anyone use these in their homes? I just bought one. In addition to the normal hi-med-lo switch which just runs the air through a filter, It has a switch to turn the ionizer on and off. I was wondering if anyone knew how often to run the ionizer. Leave it on all the time, or perhaps for a few hours a day?:shrug:

nanoWatt

Newly Enlightened
I have two Ionic Breeze GP units running in my living room, mabye about 400-500 square foot area, with an open kitchen and 2nd area.

I leave mine on all the time, but I don't use the GP (germicidal protection) mode because it uses the UV lamps more which is more power, and can cost to replace them. If I'm sick, I use the built in GP setting.

I try not to run them if I'm burning a candle because the metal blades will get coated with that waxy film that's a bit harder to get off.

I have to turn the units upside down and back up a few times, about every few months to clean off the ionizing wire (it's got a bead that moves inside it).

I still sneeze from whatever is in the air at times. This happens when I change locations, like go to work I'll sneeze a few times in the morning. Come home, sneeze a few more.

So, other than the dust I find on it's metal elements, I'm not sure how much they are doing in the air. I can still smell my pets in the room if I leave and then come back later. However, on the high setting they do have a fresh smell. I also love the setting for negative ions that makes it feel like outdoors.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ionizers work, while the Ionic Breeze does not. They are like "ear candles" in that they only produce an impressive display of dirt, while not removing enough to be of any practical use.

However ionizers may effectively remove particles from the air by causing it to stick to walls and ceilings instead, and there is some controversy over the health effects of the small amounts of ozone produced by many units.

Chuck289

Enlightened
So would I be just as well off not using the negative ion feature? The idea of it just causing particles to stick to other things instead, makes me think I should just leave the ion switch in the off position.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, be careful about the ozone issue. I'm no expert and it's been awhile since I looked into it, so please research ozone in air purifiers to your satisfaction.

What I do recall, is that I purchased a pricey air purifier a few years back, and the instructions actually tell you not to stay in the house while the ozone feature is being used. Also IIRC, there are those who claim air purifiers (as they were made a few years ago anyway), were basically useless.

Chuck289

Enlightened
The main reason I wanted to try out this air purifier was just to remove dust in the air. So I figure just the filter should work, I hope. I guess I dont really need to use the ion feature

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also love the setting for negative ions that makes it feel like outdoors.
I love negative ions for the outdoorsy smell as well. Is there a difference between the production of negative ions and the production of ozone?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Before late-September 2002, I had an Ionic Breeze, but for some reason, it always made my home smell like cat pee even though I did not own any cats. :green: :pee_you: :green:
And yes, I was meticulous about keeping the collection grid clean, so I know that wasn't "it". :confused:

This was the only ionising air cleaner I've ever used, so my experience ends right about...HERE.

nanoWatt

Newly Enlightened
Yes, Ozone is O3, while negative ions I believe are O2 molecules with a negative charge. O3 is more dangerous because one of the Oxygens really wants to bond with another molecule, a process called oxidation. Bleach does the same thing.

Negative ions as I can tell are safe. There have been tests about the level of Ozone is very minimal from the ionic breeze, and thunderstorms produce more (but of course over a larger area).

I love negative ions for the outdoorsy smell as well. Is there a difference between the production of negative ions and the production of ozone?

I've noticed that different people have different senses of smell. Maybe that's how your body interprets the Ozone smell. Did others say the same thing? I can't see how it would be producing ammonia.

Before late-September 2002, I had an Ionic Breeze, but for some reason, it always made my home smell like cat pee even though I did not own any cats. :green: :pee_you: :green:
And yes, I was meticulous about keeping the collection grid clean, so I know that wasn't "it". :confused:

This was the only ionising air cleaner I've ever used, so my experience ends right about...HERE.

Last edited:

meuge

Enlightened
Anyone use these in their homes? I just bought one. In addition to the normal hi-med-lo switch which just runs the air through a filter, It has a switch to turn the ionizer on and off. I was wondering if anyone knew how often to run the ionizer. Leave it on all the time, or perhaps for a few hours a day?:shrug:

I would avoid ionizing purifiers altogether if I were you. Ozone is a notorious pollutant.

If you really want to clean the air, get a true HEPA filter. Sure, they require some maintenance, and make more noise... but they actually work. There is a reason why hospitals don't use Ionic Breeze...

Dantor

Enlightened
I would avoid ionizing purifiers altogether if I were you. Ozone is a notorious pollutant.

If you really want to clean the air, get a true HEPA filter. Sure, they require some maintenance, and make more noise... but they actually work. There is a reason why hospitals don't use Ionic Breeze...

I agree and only use a HEPA filter air cleaner, we did our research and found a good one (consumer reports helped). Good Luck.

Chuck289

Enlightened

Ya, the purifier I got is a HEPA filter. It just also has an ionizer that can be turned on and off. So from what i've read, I think I'll just leave the ionizer off and use the HEPA.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Sharp Plasmacluster and I highly recommend it! FX-60 is the model I have and the main hepa filter is ''suppose'' to last 5 years. In front of it theres a large bag of carbon granules (Like the ones u stick in fish tank filters) and a screen prefilter. The amount of dirt that is removed from the air amazing!

I leave it on all the time, it is very efficient using 4watts on silent and 50 on max compared to the large Honeywell ones that use 150+ watts. On silent it is truly silent. At that mode it moves about as much as an Ionic Breeze.

Whats also cool about it is the auto mode with visual LED display. Green for clean, orange for dirty, red for really dirty. No gimmick, when my gf starts cooking it goes from green to orange and speeds up the filter. When I cut the cheese in front of it, it goes from green to red and goes into plasmacluster mode. No joke! If you have to do it, do it in front of this thing!

http://www.air-purifier-power.com/FPN60CX.html

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of these out lawed high-output Alpine Air devices (over 600 ppm). ...it seems to clear and freshen the air very nicely. I use it when I out. They seem to work only in still air though, having a door or window opens lets all the ozone blow away.. The public street toilets in England all use them, I hear, (but use a different ozone-producing device, it's easy to build your own, somewhat)

government update on Alpine air purifiers:

http://www.allergyconsumerreview.com/airpurifiers-ozone.html

State of Alaska Dept. Epidemiology;

http://www.epi.alaska.gov/bulletins/docs/b1997_36.htm

"...Although personal or residential ozone generating machines are promoted as air cleaners, independent studies have shown that the machines do not effectively destroy microbes, remove odor sources or reduce indoor pollutants sufficiently to provide any health benefits(2-4). Levels of ozone below the FDA's limit of 50 ppb are not sufficient to function as effective air cleaning devices. Commercial ozone generating devices are useful for some applications such as the clearing of smoke and other odors from contaminated buildings. However, high levels of ozone are used during these commercial applications, and spaces must be unoccupied at the time of treatment..."

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
+4 because my dad has 4 of them. When the neighbor starts burning something in their backyard, all the LED on the 4 units around the house change colors. My dad's place is at the main road, it's quite dusty so he got them to filter his place.

The one close to the front door is pretty interesting. The LED would turn orange during the day, when the traffic dies down at midnight it turns green. Pretty amazing.

His experience is the same as V8TOYTRUCK. It really works but not cheap.

And on that note, thanks for reminding me, I am going to order a unit now, great for filtering my apartment because I do much soldering. :shrug::sigh:

I have the Sharp Plasmacluster and I highly recommend it! FX-60 is the model I have and the main hepa filter is ''suppose'' to last 5 years. In front of it theres a large bag of carbon granules (Like the ones u stick in fish tank filters) and a screen prefilter. The amount of dirt that is removed from the air amazing!

I leave it on all the time, it is very efficient using 4watts on silent and 50 on max compared to the large Honeywell ones that use 150+ watts. On silent it is truly silent. At that mode it moves about as much as an Ionic Breeze.

Whats also cool about it is the auto mode with visual LED display. Green for clean, orange for dirty, red for really dirty. No gimmick, when my gf starts cooking it goes from green to orange and speeds up the filter. When I cut the cheese in front of it, it goes from green to red and goes into plasmacluster mode. No joke! If you have to do it, do it in front of this thing!

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have to ask... WHAT DO YOU EAT?!

Hmm I've been using a Cheap bionaire for a while and I'm tired of these filter changes. I'll go take a look today.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to work for a company that sold air purifiers retail and had the chance to test a lot of these in my home. My wife is allergic to cats, so naturally, at the time we had six. (Our regular cat plus we took in a pregnant stray that had a litter of four.)

At home she would wheeze a lot, and since I had access to about 14 brands of air purifier I tried them all. The only ones that gave my wife definitive relief were the HEPA filters, only the high-volume ones. BlueAir brand was a great performer but it's not cheap. BlueAir dealers have to abide by minimum advertised price policy, but if you PM me I'll tell you where you can talk yourself into a discount.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
those activated carbon granules do get clogged up eventually, have you checked the price of a few pounds of that stuff lately?

to really scrub dusty air I use an Enviracaire; basically a squirrel cage fan inside a circular pleated nylon hepa filter, like the nuclear reactors use. the first filterI used took years of heavy use in my newyorkcity apt. before it needed changing (was $60, now prob. $100) there's also a wrap around charcoal pad available for odor reduction and as prefilter for the hepa, they clog more quicly than the hepa filter, cost $8.00+ and probably extend the life of the hepa. (but are expensive in and of themselves)

jinx626

Enlightened
Any own a good air filter for room/house

Aside from being bitten by either fleas or bed bugs, I have another problem (yes, i notices my problems never end). I have dust particles everywhere. I live in a garage that is somewhat converted into a room. I used my flashlight and shoot against the wall (NOT WALL HUNTING :scowl: my room is small where ever I point it's beam against the wall ) and when looking in the beam, I see lots of dust particles flying around.

Anyone know a good air filter for a room. My friend told me the Hepa??? is only good for cleaning bacterias but it will on suck in the dust in the air.