Borofloat of UCL for 100W ?

cat

Enlightened
It seems that Borofloat lenses are used more often than UCL lenses, although I'd have thought that the UCL anti-reflective would be better.

Is it better or advisable to use Borofloat lenses for 100W applications? :confused:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Borofloat will take the heat much better then UCL so that's why borofloat is used in really highpower incan mods(usually above 40 watt from what I see).

So for 100w, go for the borofloat unless you like cracked windows.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I will not use a UCL for 50W or above, despite the anti-reflective properties. You need the heat durability, especially when used in cold weather with expansion/contraction of parts. In over 50 Mag high power hotwires, I have never had a boro lens crack.

The other thing to consider when using a glass lens in a high output light...the anti-reflective properties become unnecessary.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
forget who, someone posted a broken borofloat window pic they used on their 62138 mod.

Usually borofloat lens are 2 mm thick. I like using my asperical lens which is made of BK 7, a borofloat material but thicker. Increased heat resistance and gives more throw.