Thinking of Buying a E1E

Scorpionboy

Newly Enlightened
I've had my L1 Cree for about a month now and I love it, and I kind of want another surefire so I've been looking at the E1E... not for any ryhme or reason except for the fact that I want it to have it.

What can I expect, I know at only 15 lumens it won't be amazingly bright, but I think I remember when reading my thread about buying my first surefire awhile back someone mentioned a mod for it to make it about 80 lumens or so, if I'm remembering correctly, what bulb was it?

Any information is appreciated, thanks
Steven

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stock lamp assembly has surprisingly good throw.

The lamp assembly you are talking about is the lumens factory EO-E1R. You will need a 3.6V R123 battery (get the AW brand ones, unless you know what you are doing) and a charger. You can get the lamp assembly from lighthound or direct from lumens factory's website. The EO-E1R puts out about 90 bulb lumens, which works out to be about 60 torch or out-the front lumens.

It's a good lamp assembly - but rechargeable lithium ion batteries are certainly not without their dangers. Read up on them before you buy.

Lumens factory also have the HO-E1R which puts out about 50 bulb lumens (30 torch) using rechargeable R123 batteries.

Another option if you didn't want to use rechargeables would be the lumens factory HO-E1A which is about 40 bulb lumens (25 torch).

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Scorpionboy

Newly Enlightened
Those are the two responses I needed... I'll probably go with the HO-E1A... I've read about rechargeables and I'm not scared to use them I just don't feel like buying them right now, 25 lumens is more than enough for anything I would do really.. plus I'll probably just have the light to play with anyway lol, thanks for the info both of you.

Zenster

Enlightened
Those are the two responses I needed... I'll probably go with the HO-E1A... I've read about rechargeables and I'm not scared to use them I just don't feel like buying them right now, 25 lumens is more than enough for anything I would do really.. plus I'll probably just have the light to play with anyway lol, thanks for the info both of you.

Yea, but just wondering... are you THAT sold on incan?

No incan, especially one that you might modify to put out 80 lumens is going to get anywhere near the funtime (runtime) of a good LED.
Compare the E1E against the E1L and you get;
E1E - 15 lumens @ 1.5 hours and about 3.5" long
E1L - 30 lumens @ 10 hours and about 4" long

I'm just thinking that you really have to be passionately in love with incans to accept a light that will eat CR123 batteries like that.
The E1L is the light that would be the perfect compliment to your L1 because the E1E puts out exactly between what the 2 settings of the L1 does, and it (the E1E) does that at almost exactly the ratio equivalent in runtime as well.

Sorry, I just hate to see a mind made up so easily. :devil:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will like the HO-E1A in the E1E. It runs par with my SL Strion but lacks in runtime. Fun little light tho.

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
I have an E1E that I use a couple different LF lamps in and I love it!! It's Surefire's smallest light and it's perfect for EDC. You have the L1 so go with the incan E1E, you won't regret it! :)

Scorpionboy

Newly Enlightened
Zenster - No I'm not that in love with incandescent flashlights, and to be honest with you after the first two batteries the lumens factory lamp eats through I'd probably put the stock lamp back in it.

Plus I'd be switching between carrying the E1E and L1 everyday so the drain on batteries wouldn't be so bad.

I mainly want it because i have a LED(A hell of a LED light as a matter of fact.) So I might as well have a Incandescent too, and I don't feel like having something bright like the E2E... so I settled on the E1E.

EV_007

Enlightened
I love my E1E, yeah I know it doesn't get the runtime as an LED, but it is a back to basics no nonsense solid light that very few, if anyone else, has managed to produce in such a durable, small package.

The LF bulbs option is nice, but the stock bulb suits me fine when I want to take a walk in the woods. It has a very wide spillbeam which illuminates the foreground well with a very usable hotspot for distance. It does not totally blow out the night adapted eyes, but it is plenty bright when there is very little ambient light present.

Not a light to knock down doors with, the M6 with the HOLA takes over for that duty.

Not a thrower by any means, but a good light for the incan guy at heart.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I have an idea. Do something crazy with/to your L1 and send it in to the SureFire true stories contest. If they pick it to be a story of the month, you get a $100 gift certificate and use that to get an E1e.

chuck4570

Enlightened
The E1e is a great little light. There is nothing wrong with a low lumen incan light in a small durable package to EDC. I find the E1e much easier on the eyes when used in confined areas like under a desk or bed, in a closet, or the back of your computor, these are the types of things that most people use their EDC's for most of the time. As far as eating batteries, I average 1 battery a month, because you only use the light for a few seconds to a few minutes at a time. If you do get this light, you have the perfect combo for carrying both lights, both are small enough. If one light is good, 2 lights are better. Good luck with whatever your choice is.

Chuck

sawlight

Enlightened
I've played with an E1, I liked it a LOT!!! I want one in black, and just the stock bulb is fine!! It's about as bright as a 2D mag IMO, neat little light!!!! The only thing keeping me from buying one, is I am holding out for the same setup (in BLACK) LED!! I just don't think I could resist it!!!!
The E2 is an AWSOME light for just a bit more, and a LOT more bulb options to choose from, just some food for thought!

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my E1E, yeah I know it doesn't get the runtime as an LED, but it is a back to basics no nonsense solid light that very few, if anyone else, has managed to produce in such a durable, small package.

The LF bulbs option is nice, but the stock bulb suits me fine when I want to take a walk in the woods. It has a very wide spillbeam which illuminates the foreground well with a very usable hotspot for distance. It does not totally blow out the night adapted eyes, but it is plenty bright when there is very little ambient light present.

Not a light to knock down doors with, the M6 with the HOLA takes over for that duty.

Not a thrower by any means, but a good light for the incan guy at heart.

I think that this sums up the E1E. It's not really a light that excels at any one thing (much like the A2). But for some reason the whole is more than the sum of the parts. I wish I hadn't sold mine.

Culhain

Enlightened
but to be honest its kind of like a gentlemans light, reserved and not showy.

Well put and my thoughts exactly. I bought an E1W (wine colored E1E) when they were on sale a few months back. It's cute, small, carries well and has a simple elegance. But, for me, it does not have performance that I want in a small EDC light. I carry mine on dress up daylight occasions when I doubt that I will need a light. Paired with an L1 however, it would be the ultimate spare battery carrier/backup.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well put and my thoughts exactly. I bought an E1W (wine colored E1E) when they were on sale a few months back. It's cute, small, carries well and has a simple elegance. But, for me, it does not have performance that I want in a small EDC light. I carry mine on dress up daylight occasions when I doubt that I will need a light. Paired with an L1 however, it would be the ultimate spare battery carrier/backup.

Have you tried the EO-E1R (90 bulb lumens)? It seems to have rekindled much interest in the E1e.

BSBG

Enlightened
I like the E1e, but I love the E2e :D.

The E1e is small and "pocketable", but I find and E2e to be just as easy to carry and it has substantially more output. An E2e with and MN02 25 lumen bulb is a great EDC with about 2.5 hrs of run time.

I once had 3 E1es but have sold all but one, whch runs either a LF EO 1R or one of Koala's Rebel Micro Towers.

Just another opinion...

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Have you tried the EO-E1R (90 bulb lumens)? It seems to have rekindled much interest in the E1e.

Well, I tried one and it wouldnt work with my E1e. I put it in an E2e with a rechargeable 17670 and it works fine. Not sure why.

GBone

Newly Enlightened
Buy one, you'll love it!! :grin2:

It is one solid light that is small enough to go just about anywhere and bright enough to do just about anything...

There's bigger, there's brighter, there's longer run times, but there's only one E1e! :twothumbs

Latest posts